HPH MT220 vs DT150 vs DT250 250 ohm
Feb 4, 2015 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Minstrel59

Head-Fier
I'd love to read everyone (whose heard these 3)'s opinions on how they compare?

My preference is for an experience that is:

. Without amping
. For listening to (and appreciating) vocal talent and acoustic music
. Sibilance free smooooooth treble
. Honest and real (whatever that may be?)

Thanks in advance

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Hey
Dt150 is famous for vocals. Many musicians use dt150 for voice recording in studios..
It's mainly used by jazz singers and acoustic recordings .
Dt150 have glorious midrange( where the music heart lays)
Sound is smooth and natural, Dt150 got a big and effortless sound,It's like driving American muscle car :)
It's detailed hp without sounding bright, I would say it's sound on the dark side but remains neutral!

It does need amp! Without amp it will sound weak and thin...

Yamaha mt220 is ok without amp but won't sound to it's full potential without good amp/dac!
Yamaha mt220 has great isolation and could be used outside, it plays loud enough from phone/tablet/laptop but won't shine without proper source and amp.
I would get Yamaha mt220 and not dt150 if you not planing to get amp !

Yamaha has very dynamic sound with strong low end and studio like neutrality. It's a smooth sounding hp! Sound picture is smaller on mt220 than on dt150, soundstage is also smaller , dt150 is more refined more elegant, Yamaha is more agile, more in your face type of sound presentation , with hard punch and thick liquid midrange, strong low end and smooth highs.

Both dt150 and mt220 are awesome, I couldn't choose one over another so I got bought !

Hope it helpes.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 4
If you're still pondering, I have the MT220 and DT250 250ohm. Driven from an audio interface (studio work here) the DT250 is a little quieter (no surprise).

I'd definitely recommend the MT220 which is as neutral as you like right across the frequency range with very good bass extension and accuracy.

The DT250 is very good too but lacks the bottom end reach of the MT220. It's a little tiny bit pushed in the highs and has a bit of a nasty spike around 1 to 2 khz - not much but it's there (and not a good thing).

MT220 is waaaay more comfortable with better isolation and less leakage. Fixed cable though.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back