HP-2 ranting.
Sep 30, 2005 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
Today was gonna be a big day for me. I had the PPX3 Slam, HP-2's with brand new drivers, Harmonic Tech AC-11 power cord, and new bowl pads all coming in at once!...... It didn't end up that way, the PPX3 had shipment delays (non controllable), and HP-2's are still with Joe. I was really hoping to get the new HP-2's in, but Joe has been very busy recently. Anyways, i left the UPS store with a new power cord and bowl pads, which was very depressing considering how long i have been waiting for the other equipment
frown.gif

I spent a little more time driving home then i normally would. I had no reason to rush, after all i only bought the AC-11 to humor myself (Philodox thinks that they actually make a difference in the sound! LOL crazy!) and the new bowls because the ones on my second pair of HP-2's seem to be dyeing.

I got home, plugged in the AC-11 to my GS-1 (very well built cable!), and swapped the pads on the HP-2's. The newer Todd bowls seemed to be fresher, they were DEFINATLY more firmer, tighter, and new smelling! Id say about a 75% difference on the squishiness scale. meh, oh well, i then proceeded to commence the daily listening session:

HOLY SMOKES! Are these still the same headphones!? Talk about improvement! Sound-staging, imaging, bass response, attack, high end, it was like listening to the HP-2's for the first time all over again! I couldn't believe the improvement i was hearing! Was it the new power-cord? was it the new bowls???

After some testing i narrowed down some of the sound-staging bass and high end to the bowls. Im guessing the firmness creates more of a closed cup around my ear as well as distancing the driver slightly more from the ear. Compared to my other first generation bowls (the ones with the slits in the inner hole), these new bowls rock!

Moving on to the AC-11 power-cord, i cant believe he was right! Philodox, if you read this, Thank-you! I can definatly hear a difference on the HP-2's! Im not sure if im more pleased about the fact that the AC-11 sounds so much better, or the fact that i can actually clearly hear the difference with my HP-2's! Usually its hard to hear equipment and accessory changes with headphones compared to speakers. Not the case here- My GS-1 seems to pump new life into my Joe babies!

Anyway, just wanted to rant on my experience today.

Rhydon.

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 48
Hmmm...another believer in the changes a power cord can make. Maybe I should curb my scepticism until I try something like this out. Well, the first step is to get a rig...

Congrats on your sonic experiences (time to redo all of your power supplies?) and good luck on getting the rest of your stuff soon!
icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 48
Congrats! Sounds like fun! With the new pads your ears were just a bit further away from the drivers and with Grado's you usually hear more dimension with that. When you get that PPX3 slam please post your impressions in how it compares to the GS-1. I just got a Mapletree Purist HD tube amp and love it but the PPX3 SLAM really interests me too. Also, regarding the power cord, were you using a stock cord before? Any power conditioning or AC related products in the chain at all? Just curious.

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Congrats! Sounds like fun! With the new pads your ears were just a bit further away from the drivers and with Grado's you usually hear more dimension with that. When you get that PPX3 slam please post your impressions in how it compares to the GS-1. I just got a Mapletree Purist HD tube amp and love it but the PPX3 SLAM really interests me too. Also, regarding the power cord, were you using a stock cord before? Any power conditioning or AC related products in the chain at all? Just curious.

Sean, the reason i havnt posted anything yet for the GS-1 is that exact reason. I plan to have the GS-1 and PPX3 SLAM at the same time so i can do an in-depth review on both of them as well as detailed comparisons.

Yes, i was using the stock power cord before, i live out in the boons so there isnt much AC pollution. Tho i do not have any AC related conditioners. I cant stress enough the difference in the HP-2's being related to their ability to remain neutral. I remember when listening to several John Grado's, the sound didnt seem to change as much when i swapped equipment/acessories. With the HP-2's, its more of a given. if you change something critical, chances are your really gonna hear it.

Im still listening to the new combo. The dimensionality is so nice. I have to enjoy it before i adapt to the sound and upgraditis sinks in
orphsmile.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
you use bowls with hp2's?
eek.gif

1 pair with bowls, 1 pair with flats. Tho i enjoy the bowls with HP-2's almost all the time, especially now with the new Todd bowls.

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 48
Thats the thing tho, hes very busy. I managed to get him to do my pair. Even then they have been with him for 2 months. He is working on a summer house, which now takes up most of his time.

Oct 1, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
"HP-2's are still with Joe."

Is Joe Grado working on the HP1000's again? That's awesome!!

Mitch

When I first got my HP-2's, I had called Grado labs about a question and they gave me his number. I called and left a message, and a week later he called me back and left a message and answering my question (it was about hp2 vs. hp3 thing). I called him back and we had a nice talk, he's very nice and seems to take a lot of pride in the fact that a lot of people still enjoy his products. I asked him about potential repair and replacement and he said just send them to him and he would be more than willing to fix/repair/replace drivers with anyones' cans, seems like a cool guy to me

Oct 1, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
When I first got my HP-2's, I had called Grado labs about a question and they gave me his number. I called and left a message, and a week later he called me back and left a message and answering my question (it was about hp2 vs. hp3 thing). I called him back and we had a nice talk, he's very nice and seems to take a lot of pride in the fact that a lot of people still enjoy his products. I asked him about potential repair and replacement and he said just send them to him and he would be more than willing to fix/repair/replace drivers with anyones' cans, seems like a cool guy to me

Joe is definatly a pleasure to talk with. Hes the kind of guy you could go on hours talking just about audio. He has a passion for his work and he loves to share it with others.

Regarding HP-2 repairs, just please keep in mind that Joe is busy at the moment. He told me that the repair would take longer then normal, it didnt matter to me because i have another set here. I am unsure as to when he will be finished working on his summer house. He phoned me up recently to let me know the HP-2's were completed, and he was shipping them out. I just dont know what service he used and that is why i am still awaiting there arrival. None the less i told him to take his time on the repair because i had no rush, and i didnt want to burden him in any way.

Cheers to Joe Grado for engineering such a piece of work as the HP-1000.

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 48
are you serious? if my cans ever go south - drivers, headband, anything - he'll fix em up? he's the man! i'll make sure to put the original joe grado flats on there - i hear he gets pissed if you send him a HP1000 if it's modded in any way, right down to the pads hehe.

edit - OOPS i forgot mine are recabled - he probably wouldn't touch it since it's modded to that point. RATS!

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 48
Hi Rhydon,

A few simple tweaks can affect the sound. If you have some extra cash, since you are getting the SinglePower PPX3 slam, it would be a good idea to get a main power source for your headphone rig. I like the ExactPower EP15A or a Richard Gray's Power Company RGPC 400 pr RGPC 600S. Personally I favor the Richard Gray product line since it makes gear sound amazing and it is reasonably priced.

If you want some good power cords to swap in and out, check out Drew at Moon Audio for his Green Dragon Power Cord (the best power cord for the money on the market) or pick up a used Cardas Golden Reference (amazing detail and clarity) power cord on Audiogon.

Personally is use original Grado flat pads with my HP-2 and HP-1, but bowls are neat too!

I may join you in your SinglePower adventures as I am considering a Supra SDS for my Grados!
rs1smile.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSport911
Hi Rhydon,

A few simple tweaks can affect the sound. If you have some extra cash, since you are getting the SinglePower PPX3 slam, it would be a good idea to get a main power source for your headphone rig. I like the ExactPower EP15A or a Richard Gray's Power Company RGPC 400 pr RGPC 600S. Personally I favor the Richard Gray product line since it makes gear sound amazing and it is reasonably priced.

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of these power plants, tho i may not buy one for a while, the idea is apealing. But i have a question; Richard Gray's Power Company... It says on their company website that they are situated in New Orleans....
eek.gif
- I hope they keep their stock else where.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msport911
I may join you in your SinglePower adventures as I am considering a Supra SDS for my Grados!
rs1smile.gif

Holy Smokes! Thats quite an accomplishment to be able to consider the SDS! I hope you enjoy it!
- Just out of interest, which Grado's do you currently own?

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
Thats the thing tho, hes very busy. I managed to get him to do my pair. Even then they have been with him for 2 months. He is working on a summer house, which now takes up most of his time.

The reason I will never buy another pair of the HP-1000 series. You are extremely fortunate to have two pairs. Most are not so lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back