How's your MLB team doing?
Jul 26, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #46 of 184
It is starting to pay off rooting for the Tigers for so long. It is amazing what a little maturity, another pitcher and health can do for a ball club, not to mention a hard ***** manager.

Anyways, we just got done taking another series, this one from the Indians. Oh how I hate ohio teams!!
wink.gif

Anyways, go Tigs!!
-John

edit: your Twins are next ojnihs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #48 of 184
Dodgers lose again. Brad Penny's third loss in a row. Dodgers are 1 and 13 since the all star break. Nomar's still out with the knee.

Stop the pain!!!!

sigh...

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #50 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
John Maine with another great start.
biggrin.gif
And Pedro's coming back soon!

Hopefully the real NY team can keep up their end of the bargain and head for the subways with the Mets again. I'd love to see Pedro go down as a Met.

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #51 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I really wish the Giants would try to shell out for a top-tier-ish starting pitcher to pair with Jason Schmidt. The bullpen has actually been pretty good at many times in the past few years. It seems as if they are content with continuing to work with developing farm system guys and then trading them as currency when needed. We have needed some more punch and authority in the SF starting staff for a long time now.

Interesting perspective.

Here is the reality with the SF Giants:

Negatives:

1) Their rebuilding phase has long been overdue (after their failed WS run probably would have been the opportune time).

2) They can't develop or draft position prospects (Niekro and Pedro Feliz are perfect examples of their hacktastic system).

3) They overvalue aging talent (trading Liriano for Pierzynski, playing an entire outfield over the age of forty).

4) They intentionally punt draft picks to avoid paying signing bonuses (e.g. Michael Tucker)

Positives:

1) They have shown that they can draft and develop starting pitchers (Lowry, but they traded the rest because of point number 3).

----

In summation, the Giants look to become the whipping post for the D'backs and Dodgers for at least the next three years (both teams have 4-6 A/A- prospects and better player management; San Francisco does not have a single A/A- prospect).

-Matt

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #52 of 184
well frenchman, that actually sorta cheered me up. thanks.

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #53 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Interesting perspective.

Here is the reality with the SF Giants:

Negatives:

1) Their rebuilding phase has long been overdue (after their failed WS run probably would have been the opportune time).

This maybe true but rebuilding will not be in the Giant's management plans for a long while. With their mortgage on AT&T Park, their plan is always to field a competitive team, whether right or wrong.

Quote:

2) They can't develop or draft position prospects (Niekro and Pedro Feliz are perfect examples of their hacktastic system).

The Giant's management philosophy is to draft pitchers, as pitching is a premium comodity and that it is easier to find through free agency, position
players. Right or wrong?

Quote:

3) They overvalue aging talent (trading Liriano for Pierzynski, playing an entire outfield over the age of forty).

This trade really hurts. As such, I get tried of being reminded of it
mad.gif
k1000smile.gif
. Brian Sabaen is far from perfect but he has also traded alot of pitching prospects (that didn't pan out) for good contributing players (Rob Nen, Livan Hernandez, etc.) on the WS 2002 team.

Quote:

4) They intentionally punt draft picks to avoid paying signing bonuses (e.g. Michael Tucker)

It's all for the now, baby.

Quote:

Positives:

1) They have shown that they can draft and develop starting pitchers (Lowry, but they traded the rest because of point number 3).

It's not like they traded all their good pitching prospects in that one trade.
It just seems like.
----
Quote:

In summation, the Giants look to become the whipping post for the D'backs and Dodgers for at least the next three years (both teams have 4-6 A/A- prospects and better player management; San Francisco does not have a single A/A- prospect).

-Matt

You maybe right about the prospects comment, but I doubt the Giants will be whipping boys to any team in the NL West. They can't afford to be basement dwellers and not draw fans. JMO.

Good knowledge of the Giants and you maybe right on all points but I'm a die-hard Giants fan. Whether their good or not.

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #54 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
This trade really hurts. As such, I get tried of being reminded of it
mad.gif

At least you didn't trade Scott Kazmir for ****ing Victor Zambrano, a horrible, injury-prone pitcher who was already injured at the time of the trade. ._.

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #55 of 184
My Yankees are doing pretty well considering they are still missing some key players. The experts said the wildcard will come out of the Central? I think they may have been wrong. Look out Red Sox.

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #56 of 184
The Yankee's are doing surprisingly well considering all the injuries and the grand funk A-Rod is in. They sure could use another starter but their top three guys are doing well lately and the bullpen has had some really great games. Still trying to figure out what happened to last years Shawn Chacon, he'd make an excellent 4th starter if he can get it together for the 2nd half.

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #57 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
The Yankee's are doing surprisingly well considering all the injuries and the grand funk A-Rod is in. They sure could use another starter but their top three guys are doing well lately and the bullpen has had some really great games. Still trying to figure out what happened to last years Shawn Chacon, he'd make an excellent 4th starter if he can get it together for the 2nd half.

Shawn did a great job last night. ARod seems to be doing better. Torre definitely deserves the Manager of the Year award this year. Incredible what he has done with a team hurting like it was. I wish Cashman would try to grab D Train as they do need a starter badly.

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #58 of 184
guess my team:

April = bad
May = good
June = freakin' horrible
July = good

if you guessed the Bravos, you'd be right. i can't believe they're considering trading Betemit for a bullpen band-aid (although the Yankees' Proctor looks like he could be promising).

they've had a mighty fine run, but i think it may be over... and i put the blame squarely on AOL Time Warner (i know, they dropped the AOL name, but that blasted demon company is no less guilty).

i'm growing sick of rooting for a team which has become nothing more than a corporate subsidiary. i'm also offended by stunts like "Faith Night" to try to get butts in the seats.

i also have my son to think about; i can't raise him as a Braves fan in NYC, he'd get his ass kicked (although he's a pretty tough kid).

i never thought i'd say this about the hated Yankees, but at least they're owned by someone who gives a crap about winning.
eek.gif
i have to go wash my mouth out with soap.

(if you haven't noticed, i'm having a personal crisis of global proportions).

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #59 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
John Maine with another great start.
biggrin.gif
And Pedro's coming back soon!

was at the game, my face got cooked... ouch. sat at 3rd base line

Jul 27, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #60 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Shawn did a great job last night. ARod seems to be doing better. Torre definitely deserves the Manager of the Year award this year. Incredible what he has done with a team hurting like it was. I wish Cashman would try to grab D Train as they do need a starter badly.

Willis would be a horrible fit on the Yankees, it could really mess him up. There was an article in the NY Times about it recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back