How's the Ultrasone HFI 780?
Apr 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

vision20

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I was wondering, how's the 780 for those who own it? I am getting my pair in tomorrow so I'm just curious 
biggrin.gif

And I don't see a lot talk here about these cans either...

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 18
There used to be a lot more talk about them.

My pair is on my head right now, and they are excellent.  They do take a bit longer than most headphones to settle in, and there are a few mods you can do--ranging from very simple to more complex--that you can do to tweak the sound to your liking.

I find they have a really fun, musical sound--they have plenty of punchy bass, but it stays out of the way of everything else.

I hope you like them!

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks!

I heard a lot of good things about them. Curious to see how they would sound like with some electronic music since I heard Ultrasones were made for that genre.

Is yours modded in any way?

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 18
Brilliant for electronica, so-so for other genres due to tone. In my opinion they need a warm amp as they can be quite bright and metallic sounding. My only real complaint with these was the comfort, some days it wouldn't bother me and others it would give me a headache.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Brilliant for electronica, so-so for other genres due to tone. In my opinion they need a warm amp as they can be quite bright and metallic sounding. My only real complaint with these was the comfort, some days it wouldn't bother me and others it would give me a headache.

Comfort seemed to be the biggest negative on these headphones. I don't think it could get any worse than these $15 Skullcandies I had used before though.

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 18
They're excellent headphones in my opinion and I think you'll enjoy them. Enjoy your Ultrasones!

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Thanks!

I heard a lot of good things about them. Curious to see how they would sound like with some electronic music since I heard Ultrasones were made for that genre.

Is yours modded in any way?

It is.  I put a bit of dynamat on the baffle and back of the cup (similar to the famous Kees mod).  I removed the buffer board in the left cup, then drilled a hole in the right cup and fully recabled them.  I removed the tape on one of the tiny holes on the back of the driver, then put a bit of poly batting in each cup.

If you're interested in modding, you might want to start with the Kees mod (you can search for it), because it's easy to reverse.

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 18
They're great headphones if you don't want a clinical, analytical set of cans.  Like joel said, they have a very "fun" response that I find works well with almost any sort of music, from prog metal to Russian folk.  Plenty of bass - but not an overbearing amount, nor does it bleed much into the other frequencies, good highs, good mids.  Comfort is about average, with my biggest complaint being the pads - they're "leather" but feel more like sand-filled vinyl, and don't compress at all.  There are some other pads that can be swapped to alleviate the problem (I think the Sony MDR-V6 and Beyer DT250 pads fit).

Mine are stock, for the moment - I already have some Mogami cable and some blutack to work on them a little bit.

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Well I just got them in. I really do appreciate the build quality of these things. I find the ear cups to be pretty soft and they are comfortable. Only problem I see is the small top padding that rests on the top of your head. I find it a bit stiff for my head of which has short hair. 

Other than that, the sound is phenomenal right out of the box. The clarity and soundstage of these headphones are different in a good way. I'm not use to hearing such clear and wider sounds. Man I wonder how they are when they get burned in 
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
How are these bad boys for alternative rock or fast rock?
Is the response fast enough?

Absolutely.  The sound of the 780 is extremely fast and clean, and I quite like them for those genres.  Of course, your treble tolerance makes a big difference for those genres, but I would consider the 780 to be one of my best all-rounder headphones.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Absolutely.  The sound of the 780 is extremely fast and clean, and I quite like them for those genres.  Of course, your treble tolerance makes a big difference for those genres, but I would consider the 780 to be one of my best all-rounder headphones.

So should I choose them over Beyers dt770 and Ath m50?

Basically I want versatile closed headphones for my 1st headies but they should be more inclined to metal and rock genre.

As these are going to be my 1st phones I dont want them to be best but something which I wont go wrong with .

Please help me out
Comfort also matters for me

I really want to buy beyers but I heard they are not of top quality and bassy too. same goes for ath m50.

ty a lot !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back