How's the K701's durability?
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
*Calling all AKG K701/K702 owners and previous owners!*

So is the durability of the K701/K702 pretty decent, or is specific parts that are slightly fragile?

I'm slightly worried about the 'rubber' things that adjust the headband, because of the constant tension they are under all the time. Is that an issue at all?

Please comment if you are/were an owner of either phone, especially if you've had it a few years or longer. Did you replace any parts?

If there are any other weaknesses/strengths relating durability, please feel free to comment.

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 6
I bought a used pair, with cracks where the grey plastic bands enter the driver housing (see pic), and also the clear straps that keep the headband in alignment broken. The second problem is not an issue really, just means you need to adjust the headband sometimes when you first put them on. The first issue could probably be fixed easily enough.

Also, they have a tendency to develop faulty connections in the earcups, which is something else that had happened to mine (re-soldered now though). No problems with the rubber cords yet, but I suspect these could easily be replaced.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 6
the elastics surely are the weak spot of all akgs, but I'm pretty sure they should last at least 10 years. They are still ok in my 20 years okl K280.

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 6
Hmm, seems like a high maintenance headphone.
redface.gif

Quote:
Also, they have a tendency to develop faulty connections in the earcups, which is something else that had happened to mine (re-soldered now though). No problems with the rubber cords yet, but I suspect these could easily be replaced.

Develop faulty connections? Does it just happen over time to everybody's or do you just have to be really careful?

I'm about to order some, and I hope mine doesn't have all these problems.
frown.gif

(Thanks for the up close picture)

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 6
My earpads have started turning yellow even though I don't use them that much. Might also be because there was a wee while when I didn't realise at certain times of the day they were exposed to direct sunlight.

Expensive to replace though.. i think around $40 each :frowning2:

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

Develop faulty connections? Does it just happen over time to everybody's or do you just have to be really careful?

I'm about to order some, and I hope mine doesn't have all these problems.
frown.gif

(Thanks for the up close picture)

There are a few people on here that have posted about the issue. Easy to resolder, but can probably only be done a few times before needing rewiring. It doesn't happen to everyone though, and probably not that often.

The reason it happens is down to the design of the earcup assemblies. The driver actually moves with the earcup on a gimbal assembly in order to conform to different head shapes, and over time this fatigues the solder joint(s), causing them to become intermittent/ lose connection. It is very easy to repair. All that is needed is a soldering iron, a screwdriver and some tweezers.

I wouldn't necessarily discount the K701s for this, as you may find you are disappointed by anything else in the price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back