How would you hook up your dream office system?
Dec 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

selfdivider

100+ Head-Fier
Let's say you have an office in a law firm. And you have 3 limitations:

1. You can't use the office computer b/c it's basically on the lockdown. (But you can have a laptop, but no wifi).
2. You have to use open cans because you can't seal off outside noise.
3. You have limited space on an L-shaped desk.

Obviously, which amps would you consider? As for me, I keep thinking about EAR HP-4, Woo Audio 6SE, Yamamoto (obviously, I'm fond of tubes), maybe a Rudistor. And which open cans to go with the amp of your choice?

And as for source? Obviously, I can't bring my TT from home
wink_face.gif
but what would be a viable digital source with smallish footprint that would have a warm, analog sound?

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 23
160 Gb iPod Classic loaded w/ Apple Lossless files, ALO SXC line out doc, SR71, wide rubber band to keep them together (or velcro), and: 1) Senn HD600, 2) Beyer DT880 (2003 model), or 3) AKG K701.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 23
EAR HP-4 & Grado RS-1... but with what source, panda? And don't mind me asking, but wouldn't the tube amp + Grado sound a bit too warm?

The iPod plus SR71 sounds like an elegant solution, especially since I can use it during my commute... but wouldn't SR71 be too much of a compromise vs. the full-function amps like EAR or WA, etc.? And why SR71 and not the SR71A, and iPod Classic instead of iMod?

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 23
I actually use a 4G imod, corda ha-2, and koss A/250 at work. I thought about bringing a tube amp, but I have too many loose sheets of paper around, and I'm afraid of starting a fire with the amp.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 23
too warm? not at all, the ear isn't a warm and fuzzy sounding amp despite being tubed.

get an ipod (not imod that's stupid) with the wadia digital output thing and a small dac such as bel canto dac 2 which will give you quite a nice small footprint system, although you would have to stack those items on the floor or something...

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 23
Carry a 5.5g 80GB iPod with lossless files, perfect rips with Apple or EAC (decent sound while commuting; use Shure 530's or your fave IEM).

Now you reach your desk. Plug in to a Wadia iPod dock (the only one now available that pulls a perfect bitstream off the iPod hard drive) -- looks great in your office (choice of black or silver). Connect via a S/PDIF RCA-Coax cable to the original, non-USB Benchmark DAC-1 (choose matching color -- looks matter) and use the HP jack on the DAC-1.

I recommend black for both -- they will look great together. Very "today".

Non-USB DAC-1's go for $700 used, many for sale right now.

Steve at Empirical Audio will mod the HP amp circuit of the DAC-1 for you if the fi is not hi enuf, but in an office setting I think you are fine with stock.

Now the most important part. Use the MANUFAKTUR section of the main (German) beyer web site to custom order 600-ohm 880's. Pick a very high-class color combo, the right cable and termination, etc. Have your name engraved at the factory -- the result is better than sex (when you open the box from Germany and take your creation out you will agree with me).

You now have two very elegant boxes on your desk, and HPs to die for. Plug in the phones, the iPod, and you are good to go.

I do not believe you will miss the "warm analog sound" in an office enviroment. The 600-ohm 880s (which are semi-open, and will work for you) are that good. If you do, then come out of the DAC-1 with RCA cables into the hybrid SS/tube EF-1 amp from Head-Direct. Use an RCA side-getter for the 12AU7 and the warmth is there. Ask Fang if he can make you one with a smoke top and no "Head Fi" inscription on it (instead of clear glass). This unit is small enough to match the other two, and won't break your budget. But I really think the HP output of the DAC-1 will be OK -- this is not your critical listening rig.

Finally, get the digital cable (and the RCAs if you do the EF-1) custom made with the right color techflex and the perfect length (ignore that stuff about digital cables having to be 1.5 meters). Choose bling-factor RCA and BNC connectors. Contact Randy at brainsalad (brainsalad@brainsaladaudio.com) for the perfect custom cables (color,length, etc.).

You will be the audio god of your office.

I am in Manhattan all the time -- let me see the rig (I wear nice business suits and won't embarrass you) and I'll bring you a Starbucks.

Added after posting: I see panda beat me to the general idea while I was typing!

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 23
benchmark dac-1 w/ beyer 880 are ass opposite of warm analogish sound, what a left field recommendation...

there aren't a lot of smallish dac's that have an anti-digital sound, that might have to be left to another thread. the bel canto that i suggested isn't warm and analogish but it isnt digital sounding either, more of a balanced groovy sound. if you can find one, audio note dac1 might suit you better if you are looking for a thick flavor.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 23
I'd go for a good, open headphone to start. Probably a HD-600 or a DT880; nothing I'd have trouble replacing if it got swiped, though I'd lock it in a drawer at night.

Then I'd build a sorta scary looking tube amp. Marginal casework and might leave some unattached wires hanging out for good effect. No one would steal that. They'd be afraid of it.

For a source... probably just an iPod filled with lossless files. A turntable would be great, but I wouldn't want to store vinyl at the office, nor would I want to lug records in and out. Also, flipping records every 15-18 minutes would be a pain.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 23
Seems like iPod + Wadia for source is the general consensus; btw - why is the iMod idea stupid? Also, if you have a 5.5G iMod, can you still use it to connect with Wadia or is the port disabled by modding?

I have my office locked at night, so no threat of things being stolen... and the security is CRAZY here.

So now that the source is taken care of, let's brainstorm more on DAC/amp in the chain. What about Grade m902, as all-in-one solution? Even though I'm partial to tube amps... like WA6SE, etc. I do have the Paradisea DAC at home which I barely use, since I do most home listening on vinyl... anyone use Wadia into Paradisea with much success?

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 23
it's a waste of money, not much better than a stock ipod. since you already have a spare dac, utilize that first before you indulge into anything else.

what is your home gear?

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 23
Well, at home, I'm almost exclusively a speakers kind of guy. I've two amps, tube Leben CS600 and SS Plinius 8150, with Leben in the main listening room, which is my study, and the Plinius in the living room. I have Harbeth Super HL5s with the Plinius, the combo of which I really love, and eventually, I'll look for a pair of high-sensitivity two-way speakers for the Leben. For now, I'm using the Leben as headphone amp for AKG K701, which is a really excellent match... but still, not using the Leben for the speakers is really selling it short... I listen mostly to vinyl, too, on my Platine Verdier with the terazzo plinth. I should get around to working more on analog, but for now, I'm pretty pleased with spinning an occasional CD on the Playstation 1, the sound of which I prefer to Squeezebox + Paradisea.

Your account of iMod seems strange to me, Panda, as I've heard almost nothing but great things about it from some of my friends, who have discerning ears? Seems like Vinnie really knows what he's doing over there @ Red Wine, with his entire lineup...

krmathis, can you elaborate on your iMod + Stax combo? How does it "stack" up (he he) to a standalone DAC + transport source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back