How would YOU amp the HD800?
Feb 7, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #151 of 195
Which drawbacks does balanced amplification have, besides the need for new cables?

By the way, I'll use a Symphony, too - should be just good enough
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #153 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no drawbacks.

Yes, there are: price, weight, dimensions, (power consumption maybe?), cable (keyword HD 800)...

Some more? -- Maybe Jap can chime in again.

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #154 of 195
None of those drawbacks except cable are specific to balanced amps. You can get inexpensive, small, light low power balanced amps. And he stipulated "except cable"

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #155 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of those drawbacks except cable are specific to balanced amps. You can get inexpensive, small, light low power balanced amps. And he stipulated "except cable"

Are you saying balanced amps sound generally better than single-ended amps of the same price category? I expect them to be compromised by budget and therefore to rather sound worse than less compromised single-ended amps of the same category.

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #156 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no drawbacks.

[size=small]One of the drawbacks is that balanced operations tend to have higher distortion than well designed SE amplifiers.

I am going to defer to the words of the master here. I am referring to Mr. Phil LaRocco. Here is a link from the TriadAudio web site:

FAQ - Balanced vs TRIAD Operation

The above link contains a further link to the following discussion:

Balanced vs Single Ended

Finally, here is an interesting Head-fi discussion on the benefits of balanced amplification. The link begins on page 6 where Phil gets involved about halfway down the page:

What are the technical advantages of a balanced headphone amplifier?

Enjoy!
wink.gif
[/size]

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #157 of 195
I'm saying it entirely depends on the individual amps. But balanced amps don't have any drawbacks inherrent to the architecture except for the need to reterminate your headphones, and the need to be careful in matching when building the amp.

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #159 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The master of what exactly?

[size=small]
The master at designing the type of amps that I love---very transparent, highly detailed, and extremely powerful for their respective classes.
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #161 of 195
Well, after reading this entire thread, and a few reviews I went with the Zana Deux. Should be ready to ship this Weds. Hope it sounds good with the other phones too (I need to find at least one great closed one with wide soundstage).

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #162 of 195
My first post -- I am new to headphones and this forum.

I am planning to plug the HD 800s into the headphone jack of my Leben CS300. I've never used it with headphones before, and don't currently own any decent headphones to try out.

Any thoughts from the experts here as to whether that will work out well?

Thanks.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #163 of 195
Your Leben CS300 should work very well with the HD800 (I have the CS600). You never know until you actually try the pair, obviously, but in my experience, there weren't too many cans that Leben CS600 didn't sound great with, except for the Denons.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #165 of 195
I can tell you how I will amp them... I plan to buy them before the end of the year after hearing some more impressions (and possibly testing them personally), and I will amp them with my Solo SRG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back