How would YOU amp the HD800?
Jan 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 195

ghostmusic

100+ Head-Fier
So the hype is definitely on for Sennheiser HD800s. I don't care if some people think they're hideous or expensive. If Jude's impressions hold true & these are indeed the standard-bearers for dynamic headphones, I'm jumping into the pool, man...

Now that the speculation game is fully in effect: ladies & gents, what amplifier would you try with HD800? Tube or solid-state? As for me, I'd like to try them with the WA2 with new PDPS schematic with them. The OTL/SET configuration + HD800s' purportedly HUGE soundstage = possible Heaven!

What about y'all?
popcorn.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 195
Another HD800 thread? For the purpose of imagining what amp would work with a headphone that hardly anyone has heard?
confused_face.gif

Also, Judes impressions are his opinion. Everyone had their own tastes. Jude had the HD-650 and GS-1000s as his favorite headphones. I know the people that couldn't stand the GS-1000 would beg to differ about what the best cans are and would not put the GS-1000 near the top (I would though).

So, before all the best long standing headphones become irrelevant, maybe we should factor in the fact that they may not suit everyone and won't top the R10s treble or the flatness of the K-1000 or the bass impact of the GS-1000 - or the midrange of... See where I'm going?

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 195
$1400 is way too expensive for me, but I would definitely like to hear them to see what I'm missing out on.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 195
Lol. A bit early maybe?

My guess is the same amps as the ones playing well with the HD600 and HD650.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another HD800 thread? For the purpose of imagining what amp would work with a headphone that hardly anyone has heard?
confused_face.gif

Also, Judes impressions are his opinion. Everyone had their own tastes. Jude had the HD-650 and GS-1000s as his favorite headphones. I know the people that couldn't stand the GS-1000 would beg to differ about what the best cans are and would not put the GS-1000 near the top (I would though).

So, before all the best long standing headphones become irrelevant, maybe we should factor in the fact that they may not suit everyone and won't top the R10s treble or the flatness of the K-1000 or the bass impact of the GS-1000 - or the midrange of... See where I'm going?

Yes, I do see where you're going. But what part of "speculation game" did you not understand?
smile_phones.gif
No one denies that Jude's opinions and impressions are subjective, as are all of ours. But what fun is a public forum if everyone takes an empirical approach and patiently and seriously twiddle our thumbs, wordlessly, like good little boys, until the product comes out? People like to imagine how one product would sound with another, especially audiophiles, and a part of what makes this community so fun and engaging and strong is that we get to bounce our ideas off each other's. And when the product comes out, we test our hypotheses in actual life. It's big part of the fun. No harm in that.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 195
I would amp the HD800s with a Headroom Balanced Max. I haven't heard the beast [well, neither ;> ] but I've heard good stories about HBM and HD650.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer using the power of mind for these...

LOL, well said, young Jedi.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 195
Well, I just finished building a balanced Bijou (link in my sig) just for the next gen Senns... how fortuitous that the release is here. It already introduces speed, air, and spatial placement in the hd600, so I am hoping this really scales with the hd800.

No one yet knows. but I (over) built on spec, betting on the come.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 195
Interesting... how exactly did you "overbuild"?

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 195
Better resistors, boutique caps, silver wire, TKD audio taper pots (a step up from ALPS and cheap eBay steppers), furutech connectors, etc. Oh, and the better (imho) tube design compliment (6n1p input, 6n6p outpt).

Perhaps the better statement is that nothing was scrimped on, justified with 'good enough'. I would use Takman resistors next time, but, oh well.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $1400..u can get laid.

Oh, that sort of thing can end up costing you a lot more. Besides, you can sell the HD-800 afterward.

When I get a pair (I'll eventually succumb) I plug them into the Zana first, then work my way through the others. The Zana is the best, most neutral reference I have. Also, it truly breathes life into the HD-414, HD-600 and HD-650, so I figure that it'll do the same with a newer Senn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back