how will I connect my amplifier to my laptop/notebook?
Jul 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dudefromearth

Head-Fier
I put the 1/4 headphone jack into the amplifer. How do I connect the amp to the laptop then? I am thinking of getting the Burson HA160 and want to make sure it'll work before I get it. 

I have never owned an amp before.

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 12
The DAC converts the digital file on your computer to an audio signal that the amplifier can amplify. The amplifier can't work with a digital source directly, the bits and bites have to be converted to an audio signal by the DAC.

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 12
For poor to OK sound quality you can connect the laptop to the amp with a mini jack to phono cable.....

For much better to outstanding sound quality you do want a DAC. You connect the DAC to the laptop with a USB or digital optical or coax cable, depending on what DAC and laptop you use. The DAC then connects to the amp with phono (RCA) cables.

EDIT - other posts appeared as I did this. For the Nuforce a USB type a to b cable and then phono (RCA) to amp.

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
nuforce  uDAC is a DAC or DAC+ amp ? From  what I've heard , udac is a amp + dac .. Am I correct ?

correct.  it's a dac + amp.
lots of folks around here use it for dac section only.
some even use it for usb to spdif converter only.
it's quite a little device for the $99 price.

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 12
I will be getting the Matrix M-Stage. Have a look at this picture:

Do I connect the the "output" rca slots to the nuforce uDAC via rca cables? If so, how can I get the 2 RCA cables into the one nuforce uDAC port?

How do I get 2 RCA cables into the one nuforce uDAC port is my main question.

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 12
I wonder if these would connect the amp to the uDAC? I already have a 1/4 jack to 1/8 jack converter for the Nuforce uDAC.

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=ADPT2RCMQSF&preadd=action

Audio Y Cable, Quarter Inch Stereo Jack to 2 RCA Plugs

Description: This is a pair of RCA plugs wired Left and Right to a Quarter Inch Stereo Jack

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 12
The uDac is a USB DAC/Amp, but it also has a 2 Vrms output on the back via RCA's. All you need is a pair of IC's (RCA to RCA) and you can connect the output of the uDac to your amp.

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac/index.php

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 12
The connections on the Nuforce are from top to bottom, USB input to connect to your computer, SPDIF output to act as a USB to SPDIF converter, then the two (left and right channel) phono (RCA) to connect to the amp with phono cables. The amp will also have two phono inputs which are usually red and white as well.

On the front is the jack output for headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back