How will a Geshelli JNOG2 AKM or a Denafrips Ares II Sound Compared to an iFi ZenDac v2?
Sep 6, 2022 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tlite

Head-Fier
Title says it all. But for further clarification:

I'd like to experiment with new DAC's. I like my headphones just fine- don't need to do anything there. Trying to get a sense of how DAC's affect the music.

I have a Dragonfly Red 2, and an iFi ZenDac v2. I can't tell much difference between those two, using the iFi as the amp in both cases.

I'm OK buying stuff and selling later if it ain't my thang. Geshelli and Denafrips seem like good ones to try that may provide a different flavor. The R2R thing on paper makes me think I'll hear a difference. I'm really not prioritizing any sound other than trying to get a DAC that sounds good and different from what I have. Variety!

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 15
When I first got the Ares II, it was a noticeable difference. Holographic, richer, almost like moving from a solid state to a tube amp.

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 15
When I first got the Ares II, it was a noticeable difference. Holographic, richer, almost like moving from a solid state to a tube amp.
Groovy. Just like you alluded to, when I added a Bottlehead Crack to my setup there was a major difference in soundstage and imaging compared to the iFi or Schiit Magni. HD6XX's took on new life. Have you heard the iFi ZenDac v2 by any chance?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 15
Groovy. Just like you alluded to, when I added a Bottlehead Crack to my setup there was a major difference in soundstage and imaging compared to the iFi or Schiit Magni. HD6XX's took on new life. Have you heard the iFi ZenDac v2 by any chance?

Unfortunately no, but I'd guess those respective threads would have comparisons on how they compare.

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 15
if you want to hear a difference I would avoid Geshelli and go for Ares II, Bifrost 2 or Chord Qutest. Maybe also Merason Frerot but I haven't heard that one. I'm not aware of cheaper DAC's that really make a difference in presentation except maybe add some coloration with filters.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 15
if you want to hear a difference I would avoid Geshelli and go for Ares II, Bifrost 2 or Chord Qutest. Maybe also Merason Frerot but I haven't heard that one. I'm not aware of cheaper DAC's that really make a difference in presentation except maybe add some coloration with filters.
I'm assuming you haven't heard the J2 though?

Dec 2, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 15
Look into Gustard R26 instead. R2R w/ streamer. Great reviews.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 15
How about a comparison of Geshelli J2 akm vs Schiit Modi Multibit? If its in this thread already I apoligize

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 15
Frerot has a very nice looking output stage. It's the one I'm looking at atm. Price in UK is half the cost of Pontus 12th albeit without optional power supply

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 15
I have had the original modi multibit for about 4 years now. That's been hooked up to a pair of active elac navis arb51 bookshelves with a saga+ preamp & sb-1000 pro for the last 2 years.

I just got the j2 akm a few days ago and have probably listened to it for about 10 hours. So not a ton of experience with it yet. I wonder how much is just making things up in my head, a common occurrence when you get a new audio component hoping that it makes a difference.

What I can say so far is that the j2 akm seems to bring out more high frequency treble detail in tracks I've listened to many times over. I'm hearing things in music that I never noticed before on that spectrum. I listen to a ton of radiohead type of music. Muse, the weekend, gorillaz etc.

Mid frequencies with vocals I'm having a tough time noticing any difference but it was already very good with the navis concentric tweeter and midrange driver. Same thing with the bass with the svs sub helping the bookshelves 5.25 inch woofers. So that could be a testament to how good the modi multibit was in that regard.

The biggest difference to me so far and this is the part where I wonder if I'm making some of it up in my head. The soundstage and the way it presents the music seems much larger. In all directions. Depth width and height.

Something that could be influencing things is the better usb implementation from the j2 from the old non unison usb modi multibit as I'm using that as my main input to PC- apple hi res lossless.

Maybe what I should do is plug the modi multibit back in and a/b them on the same track to be sure. But part of me doesn't want to chance proving myself wrong 😂

Just how much better can it get I wonder? I do have an itch to throw in a pontus II or even the baby terminator to see but if I'm already really enjoying the music with this system.. the laws of deminishing returns seems highly likely at this point.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 15
I have had the original modi multibit for about 4 years now. That's been hooked up to a pair of active elac navis arb51 bookshelves with a saga+ preamp & sb-1000 pro for the last 2 years.

I just got the j2 akm a few days ago and have probably listened to it for about 10 hours. So not a ton of experience with it yet. I wonder how much is just making things up in my head, a common occurrence when you get a new audio component hoping that it makes a difference.

What I can say so far is that the j2 akm seems to bring out more high frequency treble detail in tracks I've listened to many times over. I'm hearing things in music that I never noticed before on that spectrum. I listen to a ton of radiohead type of music. Muse, the weekend, gorillaz etc.

Mid frequencies with vocals I'm having a tough time noticing any difference but it was already very good with the navis concentric tweeter and midrange driver. Same thing with the bass with the svs sub helping the bookshelves 5.25 inch woofers. So that could be a testament to how good the modi multibit was in that regard.

The biggest difference to me so far and this is the part where I wonder if I'm making some of it up in my head. The soundstage and the way it presents the music seems much larger. In all directions. Depth width and height.

Something that could be influencing things is the better usb implementation from the j2 from the old non unison usb modi multibit as I'm using that as my main input to PC- apple hi res lossless.

Maybe what I should do is plug the modi multibit back in and a/b them on the same track to be sure. But part of me doesn't want to chance proving myself wrong 😂

Just how much better can it get I wonder? I do have an itch to throw in a pontus II or even the baby terminator to see but if I'm already really enjoying the music with this system.. the laws of deminishing returns seems highly likely at this point.
AKM 4493 or 4499?

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 15
I am in sort of a similar dilemma. Have an iFi Zen DAC Signature V2 feeding an OTL amp (Woo Audio WA2 with upgraded tubes) driving ZMF headphones. When I compare that DAC with the MHDT Orchid Tube DAC I have, do not notice any significant difference between the two. But when I put them on my home system (tower speakers on a tube amp), can hear the difference between the two (Orchid is better). Using an iFi Zen Stream as the source in both cases.

Is the Signature DAC a hidden gem or would a R2R DAC be a better fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back