How to use MacBook Pro's optical output
Jul 14, 2009 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CapQ

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone can help me for using New MacBook Pro's optical output?
I use a generic adaptor to convert Toslink to 1/8 minijack and the Mac OS can identify it and change the audio output to digital output. But I found no signal actually has been "output" (no red light from the adapter) >< I dunno how to describe it and hope the picture can explain what's going on.

From the picture we can see the jack has been set as digital output automatically but in "Audio/Midi" there is no digital output available.

I tested the adapter on my CD player and it works fine (when I plug it on there is red light come from the adapter).

Thanks in advance

fullscreen.tif

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 16
You need to change the "Properties for" to "Built-in output" and then you can change things.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to change the "Properties for" to "Built-in output" and then you can change things.

Oh yes, thanks mate. Im really appreciate with your help.^^

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 16
I did that but I found online that the update for 10.6.8 hinders the optic out... I read this on a mac forum.  Im just going to have to upgrade to the Lion and see if this helps if not I need to restore my laptop and upgrade it again to the 10.6.7.  

Quote:
Using a MAC you:

1. Click on the apple symbol on the top left.
2. Click on system preferences.
3. Click on sound.
4. Click on the optical digital out.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Midi config utility is in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

Click on Applications, then scroll to the bottom to find the Util folder,  click into this folder and find the midi program.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Ya I have been in the Audio midi setup.  Am I suppose to do something in that set up to allow the Optic to work better?  The red light is very dim.  I see that you have one.  Are you upgraded to 10.6.8?  

Quote:
Midi config utility is in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

Click on Applications, then scroll to the bottom to find the Util folder,  click into this folder and find the midi program.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 16
Hmmm... I think I might need to take it down to the Mac shop to see if they can do something about this.  I tried all the options given but nothing. Maybe its faulty...=/  wait are you running it with the imac or the macbook pro?  I have the 2010 edition of the pro.  My imac isn't having any problems with the optic out but my pro is.  

Quote:
My MAC is running 10.6.8 and the optical out is working fine feeding a Monarch Audio NM24 or Monarchy Audio DIP Combo. Good luck.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 16
I don't see anything unexpected in the screen shot of audio/midi. There will be no controls, and the volume control will be disabled, because the digital signal is being send straight.

I've found that the connector is very stiff, and that optical plugs don't go in as far as with other units. It does eventually work, but may require fiddling.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 16
I have the optic cable and an adapter so that it can go all the way in.  The red light comes on when I play audio but the light just isn't as bright as the desk top light when I insert the adapter in.  On top of that my ibasso won't play when its plugged into the macbook pro optic and will on my desk top.  I've looked on forums and many people have said that after they upgraded to 10.6.8 they had this problem.  I can't verify this because I used the usb this whole time.  I think I'm going to take it to the mac store here in town to see if they can help.  

Quote:
I don't see anything unexpected in the screen shot of audio/midi. There will be no controls, and the volume control will be disabled, because the digital signal is being send straight.

I've found that the connector is very stiff, and that optical plugs don't go in as far as with other units. It does eventually work, but may require fiddling.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 16
I took in the Macbook pro to out local mac dealer and I took my optic cable with adapter with me.  We checked with other laptops with my optic cable and the red lights on those laptops were way brighter than mine.  So far it's been 2 days in their hands and they haven't called back with any diagnostics.  This suck... school starts in just a week and I need my laptop already...but thanks for all the help guys!  

Wel I got my laptop back and they had to replace a part in my laptop.  Had nothing to do with my settings I had the settings right.  Optic out working!

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 16
I'm still trying to find out how to use optical out on the macbook pro, i'm very confused. 

Can anyone do a picture by picture? Also do I need to update the macbook? This is from the Macbook Pro 2011

***EDIT**** 

Just realized it does it automatically, I'm an idiot.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 16
I can't provide you a picture because the optical out on my MacBook Pro isn't working but all you should need to do is plug in a mini TOSLINK cable into the headphone port and the OS should detect it. If it doesn't spotlight MIDI Audio Setup and configure it to output over S/PDIF. Shouldn't need to update anything for it to work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back