How To tell between a 'real' FLAC and a 'fake' FLAC?
Sep 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #17 of 50
depends on each individual i guess....

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #18 of 50
In short, there isn't any reliable way to identify fake and real lossless data.

You may want to search Hydrogenaudio forum for more information.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #19 of 50
Can you provide some links to good discussions? There are a gajillion topics in there,

Quote:
In short, there isn't any reliable way to identify fake and real lossless data.

You may want to search Hydrogenaudio forum for more information.

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #22 of 50
Sure.
Spectro - Freeware Audio File Analyzer

By the way, you'll probably want to know that with LAME mp3's you'll get around 16 khz for 128 and around 19-20 for v0 and 320 (cd is around 22 khz) although of course for more information, Google is your friend.

edit: also the above program is the best I've found - it reads flac natively, is super fast and lightweight, and is easy to use.

Spectro doesn't play nice with files over 10 mins.  Seeing as it's common practice to have the entire album as one FLAC and then use a .cue file, Spectro is a bad idea.

Try...

http://losslessaudiochecker.com/

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #24 of 50
Hi, sorry for digging out an old thread, but I have a question regarding these spectral diagrams. I'm not sure how to interpret these two MP3 files and would love some help.

So the first one is a a 256 kbps MP3 file ripped a long time ago using iTunes.
The second one is a 320 kbps MP3 file, converted from a FLAC version to MP3 via XLD.

Is this normal? According to http://www.whatinterviewprep.com/prepare-for-the-interview/spectral-analysis/,
 MP3 256kbps (CBR) has a frequency cut-off at 20 kHz and MP3 320kbps (CBR) has a frequency cut-off at 20.5 kHz.

It looks to me my "256 kbps" file fits the 320 kbps description more. Is there something wrong with my XLD? Or is everything fine and I'm just confused? Thanks so much. :)

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #25 of 50
Any word about lossless files above 44.1/16? For instance I have some tracks in 88.2/24, tried most of the apps mentioned here, but none of them seemed to be able to handle them.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #26 of 50
Any word about lossless files above 44.1/16? For instance I have some tracks in 88.2/24, tried most of the apps mentioned here, but none of them seemed to be able to handle them.

Sox handles hi res.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #28 of 50
  Hi, sorry for digging out an old thread, but I have a question regarding these spectral diagrams. I'm not sure how to interpret these two MP3 files and would love some help.

So the first one is a a 256 kbps MP3 file ripped a long time ago using iTunes.
The second one is a 320 kbps MP3 file, converted from a FLAC version to MP3 via XLD.

Is this normal? According to http://www.whatinterviewprep.com/prepare-for-the-interview/spectral-analysis/,

It looks to me my "256 kbps" file fits the 320 kbps description more. Is there something wrong with my XLD? Or is everything fine and I'm just confused? Thanks so much. :)

If that "old" file was from many years ago, the encoder used may also be a factor since back then different encoders could sound quite different from each other (and I don't think itunes was very friendly with mp3 back then either)

May 31, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #30 of 50
Hi Guys

I can not reach the official Spectro site given in the links above. Does anyone know what happened to the site? I have downloaded it a few times in the last 2 years. But now the web page is not opening. I would really appreciate any info. 

Thanks, bye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back