How to surround sound on stereo headphones?
Apr 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aminados

New Head-Fier
Alright, just bought some Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO, now, how do I get surround sound? What do I need to do and buy?, right now I'm using onboard audio that supports DTS, but I guess I need something with dolby headphones right? (p8z77-v mortherboard)

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 9
That or a really good amp/DAC.  But the Dolby headphones soundcard will be cheaper.  This might work for you as well.
I figure that DT880/990 would be better choices for soundstaging to boot, so you'd get better surround effect with them.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 9
What is it for?

Movies? Gaming?

Asus ST / STX for movies. Creative X-fi for gaming.

All surround emulated modes sound... like crap aka tinny, harsh, echoy. They do work for positional audio, just really sound... bad. There are vids on youtube that you can listen to with headphones to get a feel for it.

I listen to everything in stereo, and play my games in stereo as well. Just sounds nicer.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 9
It's for gaming, I was actually checking out the Asus STX right now but isn't there something else cheaper but still good? and why Creative X-fi over Asus STX for gaming?

I actually managed to get surround sound just our of my motherboard with DTS ultra pc II, and, it does sound bad... played for a while then went back to stereo and the sound was better but I miss the surround effect... meaby if I get a decent sound card it will sound good no?

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Turtle beach DSS. Works really good IMO.

I really don't like mine. Maybe I have a defective one or whatever, but I seem to have a slight channel imbalance when I plug anything into them.

OP, you can get the standard Creative Zx or maybe a Titanium HD. Both are priced around $100 these days.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
It's for gaming, I was actually checking out the Asus STX right now but isn't there something else cheaper but still good? and why Creative X-fi over Asus STX for gaming?

They are two different technologies. CMSS-3D for the X-Fi cards and Dolby Headphone for the Asus cards.

In my experience CMSS-3D is more accurate, but it varies by person. On top of that, X-Fi cards support OpenAL(3D binaural sound, much better than 7.1 because it takes height into account), which is apparantly a lot better when being processed by a soundcard. OpenAL isn't used all that often but when it is, it's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back