how to solve channel imbalance in headphones and iems
Aug 30, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 24
Just out of curiosity, has anybody gotten a good hearing test to EQ a headphone to precise neutral for both channels? I wonder how that would sound. I wish there was a simple way to do this to get a precise EQ

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #17 of 24
Just out of curiosity, has anybody gotten a good hearing test to EQ a headphone to precise neutral for both channels? I wonder how that would sound. I wish there was a simple way to do this to get a precise EQ

There is no EQ much less one with a semi automated test that can make for a "precise neutral," ie, completely flat response. Values you input into EQ adjustments do not correspond to the exact same shape as the deviation from a flat graph.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #18 of 24
doing anything by ear will always lack precision. if there is any way to do measurements instead, I would suggest to do so. but for that we would first have to clearly identify the origin of the imbalance. is it noticeable in daily routines with real life environment and people talking? then it's something massive enough so that the brain can't compensate for it. it's a real medical issue.
but it could also be something that happens only with headphones, because somehow when a sound comes at a 90° angle, the shape of the ear or head make this happen, or the seal for one ear can't be achieved? if only IEMs really cause this, it could be that one ear canal is just clearly smaller or bends harder than the other one, so with the same tips one can't go as deep and changes the resonance frequency, or one nozzle gets partially blocked by some skin in the first or second bent? EQ might not always be the best solution.

Aug 31, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #19 of 24
my channel imbalance is not to the extent that i hear different between both ears when people talk or when i listen to music on home stereo, its mainly with iems

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #20 of 24
I've had an experience with imbalance and it was a result of listening to iems with a defect in one of the drivers. I think my auditory system gotten used to the imbalance and whatever earphone I switched to sounded shifted from the center(there can also be recording imaging issue as well). After I listened to properly balanced set for a duration, I don't notice the my hearing shifted back to the center.

I need to get a proper hearing test. The audiologist I've been seeing only tested practical hearing up to 8k. But, the imbalance in some parts were apparent.

Question. If you live with an imbalance, doesn't the brain get used to it, and you lose a sense of imbalance over time? I guess this pertains to a degree of imbalance.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #21 of 24
I've had an experience with imbalance and it was a result of listening to iems with a defect in one of the drivers. I think my auditory system gotten used to the imbalane and whatever I switched to sounded shifted center. After I listened to properly balanced set for a duration, I don't notice the imbalance from the same earphones.

I need to get a proper hearing test. The audiologist I've been seeing only tested practical hearing up to 8k. But, the imbalance in some parts were apparent.

Question. If you live with an imbalance, doesn't the brain get used to it, and you lose a sense of imbalance over time? I guess this pertains to a degree of imbalance.

i have dont know the answer to your question, but whatever samsung is doing with adapt sound works really great and solves things once and for all

i can not remember if my lgv20 had something like adapt sound, but it would be great if it did but i sold it now

maybe lg v30 would have something like that, and if yes then it will be an amazing all in one solution compared to daps

but still i think that dap makers should look into that, as imbalance among audiophiles is becoming a bit more common

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #22 of 24
I find that hearing perception is akin to sight in a sense how the brain adjust. Like for example, if you get a new pair of glasses there can be a visual fishbowel effect, but that over time is not noticed. When there is a contrast the brain makes significance, but it gets used to it over time.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #24 of 24
It is impossible to have perfectly balanced hearing on both ears, and or sight on the eyes. Perfection does not exist in this world....see the crab and its pincers ? That is one example

i agree but having to deal with imbalance is not a great joy, and using something like adapt sound can address the issue at least for me

also its kind of becoming less exciting when it comes to new releases of daps as all we see is a change in a dac or its amp. While in my opinion I feel that it will be a real achievement if dap makers start looking at the imbalance issue more seriously and with excitement to offer something that can help to deal with such an issue that many suffer from.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back