how to solve channel imbalance in headphones and iems
Aug 27, 2017 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
hi everyone

I want to ask please about channel imbalance

Well its a fact that my left ear hears lower than my right my ear and that is confirmed by my audiologist , and that is with all my headphones and iems and with all sources

so is there a portable device I can add to my chain to help in solving channel imbalances with my portable gears

I know in some daps that there is balance control, but to me I find that not a great solution

so if there a specific device I can add to my chain to be used to correct channel imbalance

thanks for your kind help

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 24
hi everyone

I want to ask please about channel imbalance

Well its a fact that my left ear hears lower than my right my ear and that is confirmed by my audiologist , and that is with all my headphones and iems and with all sources

so is there a portable device I can add to my chain to help in solving channel imbalances with my portable gears

I know in some daps that there is balance control, but to me I find that not a great solution

so if there a specific device I can add to my chain to be used to correct channel imbalance

thanks for your kind help

If you're using a smartphone app, then download a player app that has L-R balance control, like Neutron Music Player.

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 24
i already know the balance sliders in neutron and in other apps, but i read to fix it properly there is more than just using the balance slider

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 24
on my iphone i use sometimes napster which has a great built in hearing adjustment test and u can use it when u listen to music and it solves all imbalance issues

why no dap makers think of adding such a feature to their daps is really annyoning

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 24
on my iphone i use sometimes napster which has a great built in hearing adjustment test and u can use it when u listen to music and it solves all imbalance issues

why no dap makers think of adding such a feature to their daps is really annyoning

You mean like Samsung's Adapt Sound? There are any number of reasons why DAPs don't add that.

1. Development or licensing cost

2. Audiophiles are either "purists" who don't use any kind of alteration to the sound, unless it's adding a tube....

3. ....or they're the sort to take a reference measurement, like of a headphone (or use an RTA in their cars) and apply their own EQ curve.

There's something like a reference measurement for ears. If hearing loss isn't across the board audiologists have to perform a test to figure out what range the hearing loss is at, and they can even design a hearing aid that has an EQ profile to correct that. The question is whether your HMO covers that - I have a friend who has midrange hearing loss in his right ear and he can't afford the $1,500 earpiece. Other than that, the closest thing to that is a car audio processor which has independent Left and Right channel EQ. That's for correcting room response, and in-room your other ears will hear both, but you can use a car audio receiver with a built in processor like this or a processor with an optical input at home, you just need a 12v DC power supply.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 24
You mean like Samsung's Adapt Sound? There are any number of reasons why DAPs don't add that.

1. Development or licensing cost

2. Audiophiles are either "purists" who don't use any kind of alteration to the sound, unless it's adding a tube....

3. ....or they're the sort to take a reference measurement, like of a headphone (or use an RTA in their cars) and apply their own EQ curve.

There's something like a reference measurement for ears. If hearing loss isn't across the board audiologists have to perform a test to figure out what range the hearing loss is at, and they can even design a hearing aid that has an EQ profile to correct that. The question is whether your HMO covers that - I have a friend who has midrange hearing loss in his right ear and he can't afford the $1,500 earpiece. Other than that, the closest thing to that is a car audio processor which has independent Left and Right channel EQ. That's for correcting room response, and in-room your other ears will hear both, but you can use a car audio receiver with a built in processor like this or a processor with an optical input at home, you just need a 12v DC power supply.

my hearing loss is not to the extent to use a hearing aid, I just hear a slight imbalance with iems and that is buzz killer for me sometimes. With headhones its less

well i do not know but it seems right now there is a company called Even that makes headphone and iems

https://www.weareeven.com/products/h2-wireless-headphones

but i do not see any solid reviews for any of their 3 products

yes samsung is huge and can afford anything, but companies that charge an arm and a leg for a dap it would be great if they look into adding such a feature

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 24
my hearing loss is not to the extent to use a hearing aid, I just hear a slight imbalance with iems and that is buzz killer for me sometimes. With headhones its less well

If it's happening a lot more on IEMs it might not completely just be your hearing, but your ear canal shape. If your "weaker" ear feels like it has a tighter fit around the eartip it probably is - enough to squeeze the opening on the eartip where the sound comes out, partially blocking it.

yes samsung is huge and can afford anything, but companies that charge an arm and a leg for a dap it would be great if they look into adding such a feature

You do realize Samsung can make up development costs by volume sales without cutting into their profit margins.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 24
If it's happening a lot more on IEMs it might not completely just be your hearing, but your ear canal shape. If your "weaker" ear feels like it has a tighter fit around the eartip it probably is - enough to squeeze the opening on the eartip where the sound comes out, partially blocking it.

You do realize Samsung can make up development costs by volume sales without cutting into their profit margins.
yes i noticed that my ear canal on left different than my right one

so now i am using bigger tips in my left compared to the right

but still there is slight shift of imaging always to the right

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 24
If your ear is lower equally over all frequency ranges, then yes. Balance adjustment is all you need. But usually, the levels are different acress the frequencies, and for instane you need only the right channel boosted a "bit" in the frequency range of 5 to 11KHz. What you are looking for is a 2 channel EQ.

Did your ears get measured? Post the curve!

Aug 28, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 24
I have no clue, but in todays world its but a click away. :p

yes hoping for future advances to handle this issue which many people suffer from

Aug 28, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #14 of 24
yes hoping for future advances to handle this issue which many people suffer from

So learn and build! There are currently a whole bunch of approaches to this. The new androids, akg, and isn't beyerdynamic coming out with on as well?

It plays beeps at various frequencies and amplitude and you tap to tell it when you hear it.

Done right, it can be great.
Like.. a real hearing test type session. Adjusting more bands than 8. Try.. 32. But not overdoing it in boosting, or better cutting; some people are deaf at a certain range, so don't kill the drivers.

Many cool things to to. Must be delivered with a calibrated headphone. This must be very cheap for you to get towards green numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back