How to repair AKG K340's?
Jun 4, 2004 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. I own an older but electrically fine pair of AKG K340's. The elastic mechanism has loosened and at least one of the rubber bands has broken. This causes the phones to hang nearly on my shoulders
rolleyes.gif
which I suspect is not the sonically optimal location.

The national AKG service tells that AKG can no longer supply new elastic bands.

Any ideas how to do it myself?

Jun 5, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Go to a drugstore or large grocery store and look for Elastic Ponytail Bands. They come in different sizes and you should be able to find one that will fit almost exactly in your K340. If you remove the outside covers on the earcups you will see that the elastic runs in a racetrack type channel. If the elastic is a bit too long you can actually extend it down past the channel and hook it up over the end the headband. I replaced both elastics in mine. As good as new.

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
can you supply a picture?

don't know if you mean what i said, but here it is (ignore the white wires, those are separate):

k340d.jpg

the top part of the loop goes around the screw that holds the whole thing together.

Jun 5, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Well, I just did. The *pony-tail tweak* worked fine. Thanks again. Or actually the ponytail bands I bought were a bit on the weak side but work fine twisted to a double band.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 8
I could only get the outside covers off and not the part at the band. The screw refused to budge. So I cut the band and tied a knot in it and tied some thread around the knot to keep it secure and then stuffed the band back into the runner. That worked well and was easy enough. The only problem was getting the cover on and off. You need to unscrew it and then gently pull out and down at the same time. It the reverse to refit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back