How to loosen headphone pressure?
Nov 10, 2010 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rankiz

100+ Head-Fier
how should I exectue the task on my beyers 770 pro? Place books between it for x amount of time & the books should have a wider width than my head width. Or just stretch them a little, using massive force for a short amount of time.?

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 12
I just reduced the amount of bend on the metal forks by hand. While the metal has some springiness it is easily reformed to taste.
One of the reasons I get a kick out of those who say they like the Premium better because of lower clamping pressure - when you can change it in a couple of minutes on any model.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 12
You are bending the metal slightly.
So little though that you can't tell the difference by looking.
I would still call it easy.

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 12
Whatever you do, don't overnight them on some books or PC or something. I've heard horror stories of people waking up to 2 halves of a headphone.

Also doesn't help that you have the Pro version which is intended to have the extra clamping force for studio use.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 12
Let's try this again...

The Pros and the Premiums are very nearly identical.
Both models use an essentially identical metal band for holding the ear cups and applying pressure.
The Pros ship with more tension on this band than do the Premiums.
Both models can be readily adjusted in regards to pressure.
I own the Pro 770-80s.
I adjusted the pressure on mine the first week I had them, to what I would estimate is a lower pressure than the stock Premiums.
I use my phones several hours a day, 5 days a week. I have hundreds of hours on them, use them regularly during travel, and they have maintained the new pressure level perfectly.

If someone does not wish to adjust the pressure on their phones, that would certainly be understandable, but there is no difference in this regard with respect to the Pros vs the Premiums, simply that the Pros come with more tension as supplied from the factory.

Quote:
Whatever you do, don't overnight them on some books or PC or something. I've heard horror stories of people waking up to 2 halves of a headphone.

Also doesn't help that you have the Pro version which is intended to have the extra clamping force for studio use.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 12
Good riddance, how many books did they use? These people must have overdone it.

I think it is pretty self explanatory to only use as much books as you need to make the phones spread sligtly wider than they would on your head. I fail to see how the headphones should break that way. I've done it a couple of times myself, never had any problems.

If you can't bend them a little by hand to reduce the preasure, I would always recommend the book method.

Quote:

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 12
again - I'll just say - some people are NOT meant to wear headphones

Let's put it this way - if baseball caps tend to give you a headache after an hour or two, then headphones will too (and you gotta go with 'buds)

I don't know why, but I have a HUGE head - headphones and ballcaps fit fine during highschool - by the end of college, I just couldn't wear hats or headphones anymore

My 2 cents :wink:

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 12
Books worked for me.  You should easily be able to wear the headphones, and as you remove them keep them in place as much as you can (lift them slightly away from your ears and "memorize" the force necessary), then add a book or two on top of how large that is.

The people who ended up with two halves probably deserved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back