How To: Installing and Uninstalling Rockbox to the HiFiMAN HM-801, 603, 602 and 601.
Apr 11, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #76 of 139

Quote:
Well, it certainly sounds that way. You may have to do the same experiment that I had to do by gambling on which pins are the right ones, unless someone with the necessary know-how turns up in this thread. You could take a look at the PCB and the chips inside and try to figure out which chip is the one to do the bridging on. Maybe taking a good sharp photo of it and posting it here could be helpful.
BTW: Did you check both sides of the PCB?
Maybe you saw the opposite side of the PCB?

Here are the insides of the HIFIMAN HM-601SLIM. I cant see a SAMSUNG chip anywhere! any thoughts from anyone as to what i should do? sorry about the photo quality, time for a new camera me thinks.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #77 of 139
Did you check the other side? There's nothing on this side, that makes me think "this COULD be the chip".

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #78 of 139

Quote:
Did you check the other side? There's nothing on this side, that makes me think "this COULD be the chip".

AH-HA......Now i see it. I followed the instructions mentioned earlier about shorting the two pins which are now visible after removing the 4 screws mentioned in an earlier post and there was the SAMSUNG chip. I then followed the instructions to the letter and voilla!! The real pain for me was having to install WINDOWS onto my MAC via parallels.
   Anyways my HIFIMAN MH-601 SLIM is BACK!! thank you everyone who helped me i could never have done it alone. CHEERS
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #79 of 139
I am really happy for you. Great! Well done!
Was it the same Samsung chip as in the normal HM-601?
In other words - if somebody else with a Slim version should do it, he could just look at the photo earlier in this thread?

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #80 of 139
As far as i could see it was the only chip labeled SAMSUNG in fact the wording was very faint (like it had been rubbed with something!!) i guess i was taking a chance really by shorting the pins, but then again as it was it was unusable so really i had nothing to lose. I do wish the ROCKBOX team would continue development on the porting of rockbox onto the hifiman players, but i suspect it has ground to a halt PERMANENTLY.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #81 of 139

Quote:
As far as i could see it was the only chip labeled SAMSUNG in fact the wording was very faint (like it had been rubbed with something!!) i guess i was taking a chance really by shorting the pins, but then again as it was it was unusable so really i had nothing to lose. I do wish the ROCKBOX team would continue development on the porting of rockbox onto the hifiman players, but i suspect it has ground to a halt PERMANENTLY.

Yeah I had to go through the same nightmare as you to get things working again. I did love rockbox on the player but not being able to use the internal memory killed it for me and the first firmware was very glitchy. I ended up having to use the reset button a lot. Also battery life was considerably compromised (by 3 hours or more compared to stock).

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #83 of 139

Hi

My rockboxed 801 crashed and gives me the following white screen:

*PANIC*
ata: -4

When I connect it to the PC - it does not show up as an external drive ...

What do I do - how do I un-install rock-box and install hifiman firmware ...

Thanks
Sunil.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #84 of 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

My rockboxed 801 crashed and gives me the following white screen:

*PANIC*
ata: -4

When I connect it to the PC - it does not show up as an external drive ...

What do I do - how do I un-install rock-box and install hifiman firmware ...

Thanks
Sunil.

What version of RockBox did you install?
Did it crash just after installing?

Also:
Don't panic! You WILL get it back. Even in worst case scenario ... is my experience.

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #86 of 139
Quote:
I do not know what version - I bought it pre-owned.
The funny part is that head-direct would not support it as it was rock boxed
mad.gif

Thanks guys

If I was Head-Direct I wouldn't support a costumer, who had installed another software which is not authorized by the manufacurer. The problem is not in their firmware or hardware and thus not their responsibility. Also - very important - they haven't got a clue about RockBox ...

Anyway, go back to post #68 in this very thread - here is a direct link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579759/how-to-installing-and-uninstalling-rockbox-to-the-hifiman-hm-801-603-602-and-601/60#post_8251490
... and just follow doctor's orders
wink_face.gif

I had a brick, but now it's fully working again. When you go through the drill, make sure that you short the two correct pins and that you wait until the new firmware is fully installed (as described in the post).

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #87 of 139
Glad I wasn't a sucker again and opted not to go through this ordeal of uninstalling the firmware. It was a nightmare the first time lol.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #88 of 139
Slightly off topic a little.  Any idea when the HM-802 (I forgot the exact name) will be released?  Unless I am mistaken, I read in one of the earlier thread that it was slated to arrive in April.  Of course my only interest is that it will come with an updated software and this firmware will be subsequently released to the older models.

I have been patiently waiting for the day where I can update my HM-602 but it seems to be taking so sooo long... 
frown.gif
   I am no tech expert hence I have been hesitant in rock boxing my player. But this is getting so frustrating.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #89 of 139
Slightly off topic a little.  Any idea when the HM-802 (I forgot the exact name) will be released?  Unless I am mistaken, I read in one of the earlier thread that it was slated to arrive in April.  Of course my only interest is that it will come with an updated software and this firmware will be subsequently released to the older models.

I have been patiently waiting for the day where I can update my HM-602 but it seems to be taking so sooo long...  :frowning2:    I am no tech expert hence I have been hesitant in rock boxing my player. But this is getting so frustrating.

I haven't seen any release date for the 802/901 in that thread. Maybe it is the DX100 (3rd batch) you have read something about? Anyway, I am not sure the new firmware will be able to be made for the current HM-players. When I asked Fang about it, his answer was that it wouldn't be made for the "older" models, only the upcoming ones.

So either get used with what you got (the stock firmware), RockBox it or sell it. That seems to be the message I get.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #90 of 139
INFO:羲宎狟婥Boot Code
ERROR:狟婥Data.bin囮啖!
ERROR:Boot Code狟婥囮啖,笭陔匿脣扢掘
INFO:汔撰賦旰

Ihave a brick here
can anyone help me?
also
why there is no hm603 rockbox firmware?
601 603 share the same one?
thx

Users who are viewing this thread