How To: Installing and Uninstalling Rockbox to the HiFiMAN HM-801, 603, 602 and 601.
Dec 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #106 of 139
Does anyone have the windows drivers and the firmware tools/orig firmware for the 602 still handy? Someone has asked them of me, and I no longer have them (nor the 602).

edit: Nevermind, problem solved.

Cheers

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #108 of 139
Quote:
my hm601 is not getting detected on my windows computer..i need to uninstall rockbox..please help.
thanks

Is your HM-601 the "Slim" version or normal version?
The Slim version has another screen and doesn't work with RockBox AFAIK.
Do you have Windows OS on your computer?

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #111 of 139
If you installed an older version of RockBox you will need to open the DAP and bridge two pins on a chip while plugging it into the PC via USB cable (data exchange). This could also be the case if you have a corrupted / faulty software installed. If you look in this thread I think you will find pictures and a procedure.

HOWEVER, RockBox doesn't let you access the internal memory, which could be what you are experiencing. If it boots up correctly and plays files on the SD card, then all is well.

If you installed a newer version of RockBox it should have dual boot option (stock firmware AND RockBox), which will let you access the internal memory by using the original firmware. To do this you press the power button as usual plus on more button. Don't recall which.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #112 of 139
Quote:
If you installed an older version of RockBox you will need to open the DAP and bridge two pins on a chip while plugging it into the PC via USB cable (data exchange). This could also be the case if you have a corrupted / faulty software installed. If you look in this thread I think you will find pictures and a procedure.

HOWEVER, RockBox doesn't let you access the internal memory, which could be what you are experiencing. If it boots up correctly and plays files on the SD card, then all is well.

If you installed a newer version of RockBox it should have dual boot option (stock firmware AND RockBox), which will let you access the internal memory by using the original firmware. To do this you press the power button as usual plus on more button. Don't recall which.

Many thanks for replying.
I have installed the newer version of rock box. However, when I press any key combbination with power , I get the following message
" Bootloader version: 3fd11c3-130216
  Loading: /.rockbox/BASE.RKW
  Can't open RKW file
  Entering rockchip USB mode..."
This message stays this way till I have to reset it. If I just normally power it, rock box loads fine. 
I might have not copied the base.rkw file in the rockbox player folder...but now I cant get to even do that, since the computer wont read
the device once connected..:frowning2:

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #113 of 139
I haven't used the newer versions of RockBox myself, but as far as I recall you should press power + one more key to boot the HiFiMan firmware. This should probably be done for about three seconds and then release both buttons.

The last line in the message:
  Can't open RKW file
sounds interersting!

The RB firmware you have might actually have a new feature that allows the PC to "see" the DAP. Did you try to connect to the PC after that message?

If nothing else works - do the "dirty" job by bridging the two pins while connecting to the PC (as earlier mentioned). You will probably be scared of losing your toy, but I saved my 801 that way. Of course be careful when or if you do it!

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #114 of 139
Quote:
I haven't used the newer versions of RockBox myself, but as far as I recall you should press power + one more key to boot the HiFiMan firmware. This should probably be done for about three seconds and then release both buttons.

The last line in the message:
  Can't open RKW file
sounds interersting!

The RB firmware you have might actually have a new feature that allows the PC to "see" the DAP. Did you try to connect to the PC after that message?

If nothing else works - do the "dirty" job by bridging the two pins while connecting to the PC (as earlier mentioned). You will probably be scared of losing your toy, but I saved my 801 that way. Of course be careful when or if you do it!

Thanks LarsHP..
I think I have an expensive paper weight now..
yes..I did connect it to my pc once the message appeared..and still nothing really happened..the message stayes on till I reset .
I have owned this player for a week now, and all I wanted to do was to uninstall the software and return back the player before 30 days..:frowning2:
I wonder if someobody has unistalled rockbox off their Hm601 in recent times with the new firmware..to help me out.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #115 of 139
Quote:
Thanks LarsHP..
I think I have an expensive paper weight now..
yes..I did connect it to my pc once the message appeared..and still nothing really happened..the message stayes on till I reset .
I have owned this player for a week now, and all I wanted to do was to uninstall the software and return back the player before 30 days..:frowning2:
I wonder if someobody has unistalled rockbox off their Hm601 in recent times with the new firmware..to help me out.

You won't have an expensive paper weight if you carefully follow the steps mentioned in post #1 and #11 in this thread.
See photo in post #15: it has pin 5+6 marked in red on the chip.
Breathe deeply and go ahead resurrect your DAP!

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #116 of 139
Quote:
You won't have an expensive paper weight if you carefully follow the steps mentioned in post #1 and #11 in this thread.
See photo in post #15: it has pin 5+6 marked in red on the chip.
Breathe deeply and go ahead resurrect your DAP!

many thanks for your support LarsHP..I shall try and see if I can follow the steps in this thread and keep you posted on the developments.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #117 of 139
Thanks LarsHP.
I successfully uninstalled rockbox without having to open the screws .
All I needed to do was to copy the original OF into the player through the usb ( yes I got it to read by copying the base.rkw file onto the sd card from my pc and inserting it back into the player. The player then booted into OF by pressing the power button and the centre button)
I feel like a huge 'rock' has been lifted off my chest now..haha

Thanks again !

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #118 of 139
Thanks LarsHP.
I successfully uninstalled rockbox without having to open the screws .
All I needed to do was to copy the original OF into the player through the usb ( yes I got it to read by copying the base.rkw file onto the sd card from my pc and inserting it back into the player. The player then booted into OF by pressing the power button and the centre button)
I feel like a huge 'rock' has been lifted off my chest now..haha

Thanks again !

Great! Happy for you.
I don't think I fully understand what you did to make the PC see the DAP via USB. How did you do that precisely? This info could be very useful for the next one struggling getting rid of RockBox.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #119 of 139
Quote:
Great! Happy for you.
I don't think I fully understand what you did to make the PC see the DAP via USB. How did you do that precisely? This info could be very useful for the next one struggling getting rid of RockBox.

OK..So, the PC woudnt read the player in rockbox mode, because under the latest firmware, usb support is absent. I was also missing the base.rkw file in my sd card as I had forgotten to paste it. I took the sd card off the player and transfered the base.rkw file from my pc into the rockbox folder on my sd card . I inserted the card back into the player, and with the base.rkw file present, I could boot into OF by pressing the power button and the centre button. This got me to boot into OF. 
Once this was achieved, I connected via usb to the pc and the pc could detect the player. 
I then dropped the original firmware image file into the player from the pc and ejected the player. I then switched the player off and rebooted it and connected it via usb to the pc. The player then displayed  that it is updating the player. This was it. I also deleted all the contents from the player. Upon ejecting the player and rebooting, the original firmware loaded. 
In essence, the edited image file had to be replaced with the original firmware as per the rockbox uninstallation on their website.
Hope this helps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back