How To: Installing and Uninstalling Rockbox to the HiFiMAN HM-801, 603, 602 and 601.
Nov 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #16 of 139
 Yeah, guys! Follow the illustrated instructions of someone named makejoke, joined today and first posted here. I reported.

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #20 of 139
I switched back successfully, following the routine described above. Sorry for my paranoia, guys.
I wish developer(s) to release stable RB soon.

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #21 of 139
Glad to hear that you have managed it too. Sorry for being unreliable  brought about my nickname. I'm really uncreative choosing a nick, so I took my name "Machwitz" and translated it, but making jokes in such serious situation would be misplaced. It's not the first time that I bricked a device with a an unstable firmware, so I was relieved to found a solution and registered to confirm the possibility in rolling back the original firmware.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #22 of 139
I rockboxed my hm-601 about 2 weeks now and haven't run into any problems yet. The biggest change for me (also the reason why I took it down from the classifieds) is that it properly orders the tracks and browsing is much easier now. I used to browse by sd card because the browse by album/artist didn't work too well for me. However, the main issue was that as I added new albums to the card, they would be appended to the end of the list and not kept in alphabetical order. It's nice that it now has a decent EQ and other sound tweaking options though I don't use any of them. The UI changes make a big difference though.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #23 of 139

Quote:
I rockboxed my hm-601 about 2 weeks now and haven't run into any problems yet. The biggest change for me (also the reason why I took it down from the classifieds) is that it properly orders the tracks and browsing is much easier now. I used to browse by sd card because the browse by album/artist didn't work too well for me. However, the main issue was that as I added new albums to the card, they would be appended to the end of the list and not kept in alphabetical order. It's nice that it now has a decent EQ and other sound tweaking options though I don't use any of them. The UI changes make a big difference though.

How is battery life? Rockbox was usually more energy hungry.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #24 of 139

Not just the fact that rock box has one of the best EQ around, even rivaling cowons. But the device is much more responsive now with rockbox. It was slow to navigate with stock firmware. Overall besides the minor bugs its a huge improvement over fangs firmware. Looking forward to a complete release.

You read Mr. Fang, another more satisfied/happier customer with the Rockbox, although its way from stable, so what you think it will be like in with future updates , lend the programmer a hand , and give the customers and the Head-fiers who want to buy the 601/602 but are hesitant, an answer to their suffering with a much  much better software, this makes no sense, everybody agrees that 601/602/801 is way better with Rockbox , but what do Mr. Fang thinks? Prove us wrong.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #25 of 139

Quote:

How is battery life? Rockbox was usually more energy hungry.

That varies from device to device. It improves battery life with Sansa players, especially with FLAC playback.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #26 of 139
Thank you so much guys. It took me a while but I was able to revert back to stock firmware. While I am looking forward to rockbox maturing. In the meantime I want to be able to fully use my Hifiman, including the internal memory. I think battery life was also shortened with rockbox as the software isn't able to fully detect how much capacity it has so it shuts off before the battery is drained. Still looking to a fully functional version as it will go back onto this player in a heart beat. Rockbox has made me inpatient lol at least with this device.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #27 of 139
Too bad EQ doesn't work with the latest stock firmware. It doesn't even respond if you max out the bass, mids or highs; I hear no difference.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #28 of 139

Quote:
Too bad EQ doesn't work with the latest stock firmware. It doesn't even respond if you max out the bass, mids or highs; I hear no difference.

Are you serious? For me it does make a difference. Could be something up with your unit? Although I still prefer the rockbox EQ as it has a lot more tweaks to further refine the sound.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #29 of 139
Quote:
Are you serious? For me it does make a difference. Could be something up with your unit? Although I still prefer the rockbox EQ as it has a lot more tweaks to further refine the sound.

Quite serious I guess, because I experience the same. When EQ is activated the sound gets brighter (no matter what I do), but apart from that it doesn't work.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #30 of 139

Quote:
Quite serious I guess, because I experience the same. When EQ is activated the sound gets brighter (no matter what I do), but apart from that it doesn't work.

Wow, you are right. I'm assuming this is due to rockbox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back