How to hi-end-ify your SRH940
Sep 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #47 of 65
Quote:
A corrections to previous post. Yep some rare track might seem more sibilant, but overall the clarity is better , and it's hard to revert the mod once it's done, because so much stuff are more enjoyable.  Also  I  thought the sibilance could be explained by the fact it's in the record, and with great clarity it might seem worse than if it's covered with slight muddiness.

Never listening to Blade runner soundtrack for instance, has sounded so good.

I was listening to that last night on my 840s and it sounded awesome.

I've noticed Vangelis only sounds good on good headphones or a good stereo. On a "normal" speaker it sounds like some kid screwing around on a casio.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #49 of 65
Quote:
has anyone tried this mod with the srh1840?

Works well for boosting the bass on the 1840, but be careful not to add too much or you can negatively affect the midrange and treble balance.  I used a 1/8" thick oval donut of neoprene and that worked just great.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #50 of 65
I did The Cotton Mod yesterday and it's great . Main advantage for me was comfort, it sits much better on my ears. As for sound, can't say because I did it kind of right when I got headphones.

Tbh I enjoy these SHR940 much more than K701 or HD650  
size]

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:
I did The Cotton Mod yesterday and it's great . Main advantage for me was comfort, it sits much better on my ears. As for sound, can't say because I did it kind of right when I got headphones.

Tbh I enjoy these SHR940 much more than K701 or HD650  
size]

The K 701 is more relaxing-sounding and everything is spacious (left and right-wise). SRH940 has a super-intimate midrange with more treble energy. It's a love/hate kind of headphone. Many don't like its rolled-off bass and peaky highs, many like its super-detailed sound signature with a very forward midrange.

Personally I like the K 701's more relaxing sound signature, but I miss the detailing of the SRH940 and intimate midrange from time to time. I still have the SRH940 but its headband is broken and doesn't have a good fit on my head (I'll send it back under the warranty eventually and probably sell it here).

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #52 of 65
Quote:
The K 701 is more relaxing-sounding and everything is spacious (left and right-wise). SRH940 has a super-intimate midrange with more treble energy. It's a love/hate kind of headphone. Many don't like its rolled-off bass and peaky highs, many like its super-detailed sound signature with a very forward midrange.

I don't find the bass of the srh940 lacking at all when modded, and it has a ton of extension ( up  to the point, you can feel "infrasounds" while listenning lustmord, yep).

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #53 of 65
Quote:
Try heavy metal

I'd pay no more then $120 for them. Seeing as you can find the shure srh840 for under $100 used. The shure srh840 is a much superior headphone.

Why I keep seeing this remarks about 840 is better than 940? Why would Shure come out a flagship than is less good then the 840? Anyway, I have the 840 and I like it.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:
Quote:

I don't find the bass of the srh940 lacking at all when modded, and it has a ton of extension ( up  to the point, you can feel "infrasounds" while listenning lustmord, yep).

Yeah when modded they sound fine, but I'm just talking about in general people don't like its rolled-off bass. That plus the peaky highs are probably why people like Jude or Tyll don't like it; likewise for the SRH1440 and SRH1840.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #55 of 65
Bass itself on SHR940 isn't that cool ... but when you try some EQ or I use FiiO E11 with bass boost 1 it becomes something completely else and yea it produces kind of bass I never heard . It goes really low and has great impact.

As with intimacy, that's exactly what I like. It makes music alive for me, with K701 it's like when I am sitting in back of bus when band is next to driver compared to these. 

I have to say I really liked K701 as I liked HD650 but when I got SHR940 and HE-400 ... it took me only few hours to decide they are both changing it's owner.

Someone here on head-fi told me that I should try more brands of headphones because they have different signatures and it's really working for me. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:
Bass itself on SHR940 isn't that cool ... but when you try some EQ or I use FiiO E11 with bass boost 1 it becomes something completely else and yea it produces kind of bass I never heard . It goes really low and has great impact.

yep, lower than even the hd800 (since I get a special effect with lustmord  that rely on infrasounds, and that I can't feel with the hd800 or other headphones).
Those criticizing the srh940 bass don't know what they are missing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:
yep, lower than even the hd800 (since I get a special effect with lustmord  that rely on infrasounds, and that I can't feel with the hd800 or other headphones).
Those criticizing the srh940 bass don't know what they are missing.

Exactly 
basshead.gif
 , imo shr940 is phenomenal headphone for the price (got them for 165$ in perfect condition) . I am pretty sure these won't leave me till they break 
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #58 of 65
I am interested in an updated version, cannot accept the cracking problem >_<

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #59 of 65
anyone tried these on the shure srh-1840 ??? i got mine but not sure if it will strech the pad ?? 

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #60 of 65
WOW , tried this on the srh-1840 , i used tissue paper instead and got more soundstage !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back