How to hi-end-ify your SRH940
Jan 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #16 of 65
Well, I  tried the mod  by curiosity.
Overall, I  like better the result, but  not everything.
What seems obvious first is that I  got "more bass".
But then I found the soundstage a bit "weird". It was hard to pinpoint why.
I thought first that some reverb was introduced inside cups, but that was not obvious.
Then I  realized that the whole frequency range sounded more detailed and refined.
So that's not "reverb" inside cups , a reverb would introduce a kind of "veil" , but here the sound just seemed overall cleaner.
Perhaps there's a problem with "imaging".  As if left & right sound became a bit independent, and that the stereo effect failed sometimes at  providing a "focused" image.
Also, the bass is more forward. I'm sure lot of people would love this kind of bass, but I prefer to be it more laid back.

About comfort : it's softer near ears, but the clamping force is more important. A guy already managed to break the extenders of the srh940, so I  think , more clamping force increase risks of breaking.

Regarding your idea of putting cotton, someone once got a similar idea. The other idea was to put cotton behind the ear, but I  found that was not convenient.
See the thread "Found an interesting way to improve bass for Shure SRH940". There's also the  "baka mod", this time you put putty, inside cup.

If someone could suggest a better idea  than  putting cotton balls or "folded electric tapes" inside pads , that would be nice. I'd like something more  neat.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #17 of 65
You are welcome to you own opinion, but I'd have to agree with the trolling here.  I own the Shure 940 and have A/B compared them with my Senn HD25-1-ii, and father in law's P5 and like the Shure considerably better.  I've also run them against the ATH-M50 and the Shure 840 and found both of them lacking in comparison (particularly the ATH-M50 which seemed ok at best).
They may not be your cup of tea, but I find your opinion to be only that, an opinion, and one I rather strongly disagree with.  And why you feel the need to barge into a thread that is just offering decent advice to spew your opinion I don't know, again unless you are just trolling.

Quote:
Yes because vocals and bass are atrociously presented on these headphones.

These are worth maybe $120 at max.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #18 of 65
borrowed my friend's SRH 940 for a week - curious with what the hoopla is about.

i lent him my hd 598 and now he's asking for a trade (must've liked the open-backed sound) XD. Fiio e10 setup for me and an asgard setup for him. 

I own the SRH 440 and i have to agree that Shure overpriced the 940s by quite a bit. if details and resolution is what you're looking for, SRH 440s bring you pretty close to what the 940s offer, but the 440s lose the comfort race as the pads are atrocious.

but i did do a similar mod to my 440 (i used thick cable to increase the thickness of the pads - cotton may have had a dampening effect and I didn't want to risk it) and it is well worth the effort.

sorry if I'm piling it on but that's just my 2 cents. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #19 of 65

Quote:
borrowed my friend's SRH 940 for a week - curious with what the hoopla is about.

i lent him my hd 598 and now he's asking for a trade (must've liked the open-backed sound) XD. Fiio e10 setup for me and an asgard setup for him. 

I own the SRH 440 and i have to agree that Shure overpriced the 940s by quite a bit. if details and resolution is what you're looking for, SRH 440s bring you pretty close to what the 940s offer, but the 440s lose the comfort race as the pads are atrocious.

but i did do a similar mod to my 440 (i used thick cable to increase the thickness of the pads - cotton may have had a dampening effect and I didn't want to risk it) and it is well worth the effort.

Coolest moustache avatar I've seen thus far by the way 
biggrin.gif

440 is a headphone that while being somewhat popular could still be more popular.

It's just my experience but the 940 really does suit good sourcing and proper matching
 with amplification ~ just so few people ever pair them up with that setup.

They just move on to the usual horde of other 'better' headphones before giving
 them a chance.

They're a poor man's Edition 10 in many ways ~ there's goodness in there, it's
 just a case of whether you can be bothered to find out.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #20 of 65

Quote:

The stock srh440 pads are very uncomfortable indeed, i tried to put some thick cable to increase the comfort, but it somewhat sounded thin and distant. I got much better results with srh840 pads,  it sounded a bit better to me, more refined and balanced, and the comfort is also much better than the stock pads.

The srh940 caught my attention, but if it's only slighty better than srh440, i think i'll pass.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #21 of 65

Quote:
The stock srh440 pads are very uncomfortable indeed, i tried to put some thick cable to increase the comfort, but it somewhat sounded thin and distant. I got much better results with srh840 pads,  it sounded a bit better to me, more refined and balanced, and the comfort is also much better than the stock pads.

The srh940 caught my attention, but if it's only slighty better than srh440, i think i'll pass.

My $0.02, the SRH940 has more detail than the SRH440, perhaps not $150's worth of improvements but factoring in that the SRH940 is probably the most detailed can under $1k, I would go for that upgrade.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #22 of 65

Quote:

My $0.02, the SRH940 has more detail than the SRH440, perhaps not $150's worth of improvements but factoring in that the SRH940 is probably the most detailed can under $1k, I would go for that upgrade.

I thought it's even more detailed with the mod suggested. Probably you'll get something better with  the srh1840.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #23 of 65

Quote:
Yes because vocals and bass are atrociously presented on these headphones.

These are worth maybe $120 at max.

Maybe you should try not listening to atrocious music on them? Anyway, thanks for ruining the thread..

Thanks clarinetman for taking the time to show and describe your mod in detail. I'm happy with the 940 as it is but I'll try it out, if only out of curiosity

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #26 of 65
why was he banned? lol just as our ears are all different, the guy had a right to his opinion. 

though he may have gone overboard by saying a sponsor's headphone was crap.

SOPA

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #28 of 65
Jan 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #29 of 65

Quote:

I owned the 840 in the past, and I will say that I think the 940 is much improved. I will also say, like others have, it is amp dependent. I happen to think it sounds excellent with the Matrix M-Stage.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #30 of 65

Quote:
why was he banned? lol just as our ears are all different, the guy had a right to his opinion. 

though he may have gone overboard by saying a sponsor's headphone was crap.

SOPA

I'm pretty sure he was bcasey25raptor, who was already banned for being unable to express his opinions without flinging insults around and generally being a nuissance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back