How to Get More Out of My Headphones.
Sep 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

roran1234

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of Grado 225i's bought as recommended here. 

Well I haven't spent too much time listening to them maybe 10 hours? They just don't sound as amazing as I previously thought. I have a few questions.

How can I get more out of these, I listen in a variety of ways, one is with a jack to my ipod in bed, another is with my Sherwood amp from the 1970's and the last way is with a Denon amp from the 80's. 
I read here that if set up properly that these cans are incredible, for me they are no where close to incredible. Is this because I haven't burnt them in? How should I burn in?

How can I get a better setup, and what should that setup be, and do I necessarily have to spend money to better these headphones? 

I'm just a little annoyed with myself, I spent $300 and I regret the buy, I know the good folks here most likely can help me reverse that opinion.

Thanks,
Ollie

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 8
I know there are tons of guys here that could help me, I am perplexed as to why I am not getting any answers.

I'm only 17 here desperately saving for school, so to buy these was a big big deal, and now i'm not really enjoying them, so could someone please help me out here?

I'm listening at a lower volume, it's pretty good, the treble is incredible but lack of bass seems to give these cans a lack of richness to the sound, do I have to burn in?

How do I burn these in properly?

Thanks,
Ollie

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 8
to burn them in, just play them with a variety of music for 100+ hours. when i first bought my sr80s, i was not satisfied with them either. but after the burn in, i felt that they improved a lot. it could be just mental burn in, but whatever it is, i enjoyed them much more now than when i first bought them. 

some people burn in headphones with pink/white noise. i think its a good idea and that it wont hurt your headphones, but i think listening to a variety of music is sufficient. just make sure you're listening to them at normal listening levels or a little louder. if its played TOO loud, you could bust the drivers. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 8
let'em burn in more and most importantly let your ears adjust to the sound of the headphone. your ears tune itself also besides headphone burn-in. the sherwood or denon should be more then enough for'em and most headphones since headphone outs are run off the speaker amp in vintage receivers/tuners in the analog era.

as for burn-in. just relax and listen to music. you don't have to do anything fancy like pink noise or anything. just listening to music will do it. also quicker way to flex and loosen the drivers a bit but be careful not to crank the volume loud is to listen to heavy bass music like from massive attack's black milk or angel or any trip-hop music really. give it time.  

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 8

i forgot about that. yea this is a possibility 
Quote:
Maybe you don't like Grados?

You would get more responses if you describe what you don't like. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed response, my internet was out for a couple of days due to decorating -.-

So with no TV or Internet I spent alot of time with my Grado's. I burned them in, they sound much much better, I will continue to do more though.

What I found really helps is the way you wear them, I used to wear them with the headphones resting ON my ear, I started wearing them with the foam Surrounding my ear; much much better.

Thanks very much guys,
Ollie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back