How to fix this? [AKG K701/702]
Oct 7, 2010 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Eric M

100+ Head-Fier
Fix this:

Both ends look bolted in pretty tight... 

Honestly I'm sick of AKG's shoddy build quality. The wonderful sound quality is the only thing keeping these things in my house. I'm on my 2nd pair (bought not repaired), and like the first, there are constant issues with the construction quality. I handle and use them VERY carefully but something is always breaking. The image pictured above is from after only a few month of careful usage. On both pairs, every few months I have to open them up and resolder the connection points because AKG is too incompetent to do a good job the first time. Then there are various other issues like scrapping sounds when I adjust them.

There's also the problem it's impossible to contact these baffoons

Any suggestions?

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 9
I have a AKG 702 and I accidently dropped it a couple of times and nothing happen to it. I do even know how you could possibly break that part.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 9
Did you "accidentally" pick it up and cut it with scissors?

Any of you with a k70x, take a moment to take them off your head and press your finger on that little plastic band.  You will notice that it's made of the same devilmade unbreakable, sharp plastic that those ridiculous packages are made out of.  There's just no way this happened by accident.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't believe so.  This has probably never happened before!
Why do you resolder the connection points?  I've never had any problems with them, and I've even dropped them a few times.  Are you sure your k702s are real?

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Drill two very small holes in each broken end and use some copper wire to sew the ends back together...

Either that or drill out rivets and buy new parts from AGK

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Just have to chime in here and say for a fact that my old pair of K701 DID break at those plastic strips naturally as well.  And I'm the type of person that is VERY anal in taking care of my headphones.  It was never even dropped once nor was it tampered with. 

But since the headband is still buttoned on to the main assembly I didn't have any issues regarding attachment or fit.  As a matter of fact, losing those strips actually made the headband more flexible in angling forward or backwards, making for a better fit on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back