How to "enjoy" music?
Oct 13, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #196 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
Go tell a basketball fan Michael Jordan doesnt have skill. Do it. See what happens. Same applies with Gretsky.

He's just trying to get a rise outta everyone. Don't sweat it.

In fact, he's probably getting a bigger kick doing this.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #198 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I think he just needs to get laid
biggrin.gif

And do tremendous ammounts of blow.

Interestingly enough, Valentine Michael Smith never really woke up to life until he got laid... and besides, the holes on a Vahalla power cord are way too small.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #199 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupahueso
[...] and besides, the holes on a Vahalla power cord are way too small.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Maybe not?
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #200 of 365
Quote:

Go tell a basketball fan Michael Jordan doesnt have skill. Do it. See what happens. Same applies with Gretsky.

The athlete would agree with me and the fan would beat me up.

If you believe you already have skill you don't know how to become better, which means you don't have skill but you think you do. All athletes can do something better but their ego is too big for that to happen. You need to let it go and focus on the sport instead of showing the "impressive" skills to a fan who doesn't even know what real skill is.

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #201 of 365
Quote:

Qbs, pitchers, batters, and the like have some of the most intense mind games in all of sports. Watch the QB at a football game. What he does isnt really physically draining, but mentally.

They don't need to think, they just need to focus. Getting your fastest reaction time is mentally draining because you need brutal focus.
You get your best focus if you don't think, when you are in "The Zone" it all happens automatically. When I have been in that state I wasn't thinking at all and didn't know what I had done afterwards, but when I received cash in my hands from winning a tournament then aha!
It wasn't mentally draining because I could be in that state 7+ hours. It's like being a zombie, no skill is required for that. Being in the zone does what you already know, but you don't improve from that. That's why all those 18 000 hours were a waste, because I practiced things I already knew!

Quote:

I dream i can do something, so I can???? Sorry, ive dreamed of flying my whole life and have yet to actually fly. Prove this, with something reasonable please. Thinking about doing it is NOTHING, NOTHING like actually doing it. I challenge you to dream about crusing in a halfpipe with the best of them on a skateboard. Then get in and try it. Ill bet my life you have none of the sucess you dreamed.

First you need to know all the possibilties of what can happen, that takes about 1 year, after that year you don't need to practice real life anymore, I'm talking about the pro level here.
It's like learning the rules of a game, the dreams will be flawed if you don't know the rules first. Since nobody can learn physics correctly they need to try something over and over again to get the "feel" of all the possibilties that can happen in the sport.

Quote:

Sorry, but you just sound like an old dude living in some basement somewhere, who is burned by the sight of sunlight. Try going outside!!! Maybe thats why you cant enjoy anything. You havent left your house, you obviously dont have too much of a life going on outside of your damned cables.

http://poollogics.is-a-geek.net/pictures/beastface.htm

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #202 of 365
I thought you had recently been extreme cycling, how was your hearing after that?

Oct 13, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #203 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanddancer
I thought you had recently been extreme cycling, how was your hearing after that?

After riding extreme with bike I was too exhausted to listen to music afterwards, so I never tried it. Usually I had to lie down half an hour in bed before I could take off my cycling clothes without throwing up.
Later I started sissy riding and it felt better. I was more conscious afterwards and didn't need to lie down. I think I tried to listen to music a few times but it sounded so bad I didn't continue. The wind from riding fast makes ears too weird.

Oct 13, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #204 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickMouthy
OK, rather than laid, Patrick needs to get blown off with a finger up his arse.

Some of us are trying to work!

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #206 of 365
You recommend that then? Bjork in particular? Favourite track?

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #207 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
They don't need to think, they just need to focus. Getting your fastest reaction time is mentally draining because you need brutal focus.
You get your best focus if you don't think, when you are in "The Zone" it all happens automatically. When I have been in that state I wasn't thinking at all and didn't know what I had done afterwards, but when I received cash in my hands from winning a tournament then aha!
It wasn't mentally draining because I could be in that state 7+ hours. It's like being a zombie, no skill is required for that. Being in the zone does what you already know, but you don't improve from that. That's why all those 18 000 hours were a waste, because I practiced things I already knew!

First you need to know all the possibilties of what can happen, that takes about 1 year, after that year you don't need to practice real life anymore, I'm talking about the pro level here.
It's like learning the rules of a game, the dreams will be flawed if you don't know the rules first. Since nobody can learn physics correctly they need to try something over and over again to get the "feel" of all the possibilties that can happen in the sport.

http://poollogics.is-a-geek.net/pictures/beastface.htm

They do indeed need to think. The pitcher needs to think about the batter, his hotspots and tendancies, the pitches hes weak to, and pitch patterns and place the pitch he wants, where he wants it, when he wants it. The batter needs to think about the pitches he thinks are coming, read the pitcher and find any small tipoff to his pitches, and time it perfectly. The QB needs to read the D, decide on calling an audible, and find the weakest point in the defence and pick it apart by choosing the right reciever. All while the clock is ticking. Thats not reaction time, thats a thought process. Oh, and sweet burn on the face you got there.
blink.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #208 of 365
Quote:

They do indeed need to think. The pitcher needs to think about the batter, his hotspots and tendancies, the pitches hes weak to, and pitch patterns and place the pitch he wants, where he wants it, when he wants it. The batter needs to think about the pitches he thinks are coming, read the pitcher and find any small tipoff to his pitches, and time it perfectly. The QB needs to read the D, decide on calling an audible, and find the weakest point in the defence and pick it apart by choosing the right reciever. All while the clock is ticking. Thats not reaction time, thats a thought process. Oh, and sweet burn on the face you got there.
blink.gif

That's the same as a race car driver stopping his car in a race and reading a manual on how to drive a car. In sports that have a time limit you lose whenever you think, unless the opponent is worse than you.

The routine you listed above they practice it in their dreams. The real life practice is just there to help them dream about it at night, but it really does nothing other than keep their body in shape.
If you obsess about something enough you don't need to practice in real life, ever. Because that "hunger" for practice leaks into your dreams instead, which is where the real improvements come from.

The "pros" practice all day in real life without knowing it makes them worse, that's why they have no skill. When they dream about it they become better to compensate for the daily losses in real life. Overall they keep improving little every day but not as fast as they could if they stopped real life practice completely.

Oct 14, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #209 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
The routine you listed above they practice it in their dreams. The real life practice is just there to help them dream about it at night, but it really does nothing other than keep their body in shape.
If you obsess about something enough you don't need to practice in real life, ever. Because that "hunger" for practice leaks into your dreams instead, which is where the real improvements come from.

The "pros" practice all day in real life without knowing it makes them worse, that's why they have no skill. When they dream about it they become better to compensate for the daily losses in real life. Overall they keep improving little every day but not as fast as they could if they stopped real life practice completely.

There is no correct way of improving on something, it is different for everybody. The world is filled with combinations of variety and possibilities are infinite, some people practice in their dreams and imagine doing something and improve on that, which has happened to me with a successful outcome in some occasions. Other times people need to practice and get a hang of the coordination by physically and mentally practising of whatever activity they are doing. The world is impossible to comprehend, you have billions of minds each working in their own unique way. There is no set way of doing anything.

Some people improve through pure imagination, where when they dream of something or imagine something, it is so realistic that it actually does improve on their skill in reality while other people are the exact opposite. Some cases are harder to find than others, if we assume that someone always improves doing something through their dreams then when will they apply those acquired skills to reality and if they don't what's the point in practising in the first place? Basically what I'm saying is that a "pro" will improve through some form of practice be it either mental, physical or both, how they will improve depends on that individual "pro".

Commenting on the whole thread:
For enjoying music, have you tried to clear your mind before listening? Try and listen without your analytical mind interrupting your listening session all the time, for a moment forget about any equipment or cables you have and only have your mind focused on the music, without nitpicking or analysing and listen to the sounds you like, that is would be a form of enjoyment however basic it may seem.

I'm afraid ill have to disagree with you with the part saying you don't have emotions.. all humans do, thats why they make decisions and have judgement. Sometimes emotions are supressed and hidden so deeply that you have no idea those emotions even existed. I would hazard a guess and say that you have somehow tried to rid yourself of emotions for a long time, which is not only impossible but counter productive. You would need to open yourself up more to the world little at a time and eventually have a balance between reality and imagination.

I hope my post made sense.

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #210 of 365
Ok, I went outside and entered a tournament. I didn't stroke my stick for 8 months and I won tournament, I tell you, practice is not needed. I haven't entered a tournament for years, last time I won was 5 years ago. Audiophile hobby is great, now it gives me a reason to play to win. Obsessive audiophile playing tournaments is unstoppable! I want to buy that $13 000 Tara Labs Zero cable... Soon you see me on TV winning world championships, mark this post!

BTW, I didn't get enjoyment from winning, I didn't even know I had won until someone gave me the cash. I felt like a brainwashed zombie the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back