How to "enjoy" music?
Oct 10, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #166 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite
I'm fairly sure Patrick knows what's wrong with him, how else could he afford to live when he doesn't leave the house or have a job?

Without a doubt.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite
The only question is whether it's appropriate to find his posts so amusing.

Well, at first I did. Now, I am not so sure...

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #167 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
I don't get it. What thoughts go on inside the brain? Does enjoyment have to do with childhood memories?

I have listened to those ATB songs 80+ times, I never had hair standing up. Ecstasy is my reference track for sibilance.

We usually remember perfectly when the first time we heard a song for the first time, and it usually shapes our preception from then on. Its usually the association that invokes the emotions, less than the actual song. I find that those tracks by atb are very generic, and the airport is a pretty good place to listen to these very interpretive tracks.

It can be very energetic with all the motion, yet relaxing in knowing you will never see any of them ever again. Its a city with you and a sanctuary where you lose yourself. Add to that the fact that the most exotic types are found at the airports. Students, vacationers, expats, spies, drug mules, armed guards, adventurers, and so on. As you look at the planes, imagine that you are going to your perfect world. You can then believe that you are escaping from death.

As for the ferry costen mix of a song for xx, just listening to it while you are cold is nice because there the reverb/processing is just perfect, with dashes of distortion, and very black between the different layers, perfect vocals with a windy, bitter cold and overdriven backdrop of bass and synths..

no childhood memories or past references needed for the above tracks. Where you listen to them is an intrical of your setup. People generally dont groove being sedentary at their desk. If I walk around the city, observing happy people and couples around the hangout places, and i listen to certain types of ballads, my teeth clench in many negative emotions. If i walk down park ave and 45th in manhattan, with paul oakenfold- ready steady go (korean style) mix, I would have industrial espionage episodes drowning my thoughts.

Try going outside for a start.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #168 of 365
I'm normal, it's just everyone else who are not. Then they call it disorder and want to "cure" it. Just because 99.9999999% have the same enjoyment disease doesn't mean it's normal.
Imagine if I was cloned into billions of copies, then who's the normal one?

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #169 of 365
Quote:

I'm normal, it's just everyone else who are not.

This sentence is a clear indication that you are not... everyone is different I'm afraid. There is no person existant that has nothing 'wrong' with them.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #170 of 365
Quote:

Ok, so the music makes you think about some kind of dream world. A human built vessel doesn't take me there though, I need to find something else. Ah yes, vessel built with Valhalla power cables.

see? you do enjoy things emotionally (!) If cherishing those thick crystal clear cables make your hairs stand up then you must be one of us.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #171 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
As you look at the planes, imagine that you are going to your perfect world. You can then believe that you are escaping from death.

Ok, so the music makes you think about some kind of dream world. A human built vessel doesn't take me there though, I need to find something else. Ah yes, vessel built with Valhalla power cables.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #173 of 365
Quote:

People keep talking about "it makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck" and similar things. That has never happened to me, how do you do it?

Personally I think it's kind of a pseduo-spiritual (or maybe philosophical?) thing.

Pardon me btw, i'm not trying to bring religion onto this forum since I know we can't do that
biggrin.gif

In any case....... think of life like you're a Buddhist Monk. Or perhaps a simple townsmen that has to work hard every day simply to put food on the table.

Eventually you start to get pleasure from the simple things. The smell of food. The wind. A child's laughter.

I think "we" (as audiophiles) occaisionally get too caught up in the Perfect system or a Better sound and we forget that to REALLY enjoy something, to truly get the chills and whatnot, you have to relax.

It's all about relaxing enough that you can ignore everything except how amazing the music really is.

Sounds cheesy and stupid, but there is it. Just my 2 cents
cool.gif

In the end I think it's a brain chemistry / state-of-mind thing, because some people are just too focused on something else to ever get those "symptoms" you're talking about.

Whereas other folks probably get them 10 times a day.

Personally I think it's entirely possible to be "high on life", which is really what you're talking about IMO

Would you stop to enjoy how trees look, or stop to watch an animal in the forest? Slowing down and letting yourself really LISTEN to the MUSIC, not the sound, is pretty much the same.

*Sduibek shrugs*

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #174 of 365
Quote:

That's why those athletes don't have any real skill. The only skill they have is that they can repeat something with great accuracy. But they can't make something new.

When you practice you just repeat something you already know!
Practice is worse because it makes you get "locked" inside that technique and it's hard to change. Imagine if they try to change to another sport, they can't! Because after so many hours of repeating and brain washing it becomes a habit which is hard to remove.

True skill is when you can do all sports without practice. True skill is when you can do everything!

See "The Pretender" series on TV, he can do anything and he doesn't need practice.
You need to know how everything works instead of just scraping the surface by practicing something you don't fully understand.

If you know how the human body works you know how to take it to the limit, and then you know that knowledge is far more important than practice. The more you practice the more you sacrifice adaptability. Adaptability is what the true skill is. Practice makes you worse because you become brainwashed and can't unlearn it to learn new things, just look how messed up all those athletes are. They can only think of the sport they are practicing.

As I said, open-minded adaptability is true skill. If you have that you can learn things in a few minutes because you aren't biased and brainwashed. You need to be "fresh" and neutral so you can adapt to anything at any time.

I think reality is something that's nice to embrace ocassionally.

It sometimes sucks and is mundane, but should be accepted simply because it is reality.

Oct 11, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #176 of 365
OMG! It sounds louder than ever before. Does hearing work like building muscle? First you mess up hearing and then it recovers stronger than before...

A year ago I was in loud concert (with earplugs) and my ears were ringing a week afterwards, but then after another week music sounded very loud and I had to decrease volume.

The same technique works for weight loss as well; eat like horse once per week to boost up metabolism.
I also do it for weightlifting too, brutal once per month workout works better than 3 times per week sissy girl workouts. You need to break the muscle good.
Same technique also works when changing bike tyres, pump it very hard to align the rubber correctly, then release air.
Also works for sports, once per month focused practice works better than daily unfocused practice.
Doing brutal focus every day isn't possible, I overtrained my brain when I tried that.

Oct 11, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #177 of 365
I would suggest that perhaps our Swedish friend is taking the piss. Either that or insane. Some of the later posts by Patrick on this thread read like the dialogue Kevin Spacey had in Se7en.

Oct 11, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #178 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickMouthy
I would suggest that perhaps our Swedish friend is taking the piss. Either that or insane. Some of the later posts by Patrick on this thread read like the dialogue Kevin Spacey had in Se7en.

What dialogue?

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #180 of 365
Quote:

What dialogue?

Specifically the bit about puking ona guy on the subway, from one of his crazy journals. Perhaps Morgan Freeman's character reads it aloud rather than Spacey saying it.

Bateman makes sense too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back