How to "enjoy" music?
Oct 9, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #151 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
This, as stated before could be why you are failing to have "hairs on the back of your neck moments", they don't exist in trance music.

Ignoring the rest of the conversation in this thread, I'm going to disagree with you on this. These moments exist in trance music in absolute spades, in fact the euphoric hair-stand moments is the very essence of trance and works very well in trance that's done very well (ignore anything that makes it to commercial radio, it's a poor imitation of trance by definition.)

I'm not trance's biggest drum-beater, but one thing it doesn't lack is moments that make hairs stand up on the neck. It won't do so for everyone, of course, and for you that's probably true.

Totally agree on the Nina Simone. Actually Sinnerman always does it for me, I don't even have to hear it, I just think about the piano being played and I can feel the hairs already. Great stuff.

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #152 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
What do they do with the gold?

I don't like a sport that requires practice. Been there done that. Thousands of hours wasted. I improve the skill faster without practicing, all I need to do is decide how the end result will be like and it automatically happens when I sleep. My unconscious mind is doing all the practice for me. Suddenly I'm better at things when I didn't practice it for a year, how can that be explained? I have video. Never done that before, suddenly it comes to me.

Thousands of hours wasted?? Coming from the guy who spends his time seeing if he can find miniscule differences in cables. There is no way you improve without practicing. Think about something you cant do, maybe wakeboarding or something like that. Can you now go and wakeboard, and hang with the people who put in the time something like that requires to be good? If you think practice is a waste, obviously you dont care about what you do.

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #154 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
You can take your body to the limit without caring about winning, passion of winning just forces you to do it if you can't do it by yourself. When you are forced to do something it unlocks power you didn't know you had.

If you don't do it extreme then what is the point? You can't go to the extreme if you care about winning because you waste time preparing for competitions instead of improving your skills. Here is old article I found.

Uhhh.....wow. Its called playing because you want to, not because of the money. Ever consider that some people might enjoy the competition and tense atmosphere of a tournament, and do it for fun? Of course the odds arent always good. Most people want the challenge in tournaments of going up against the odds, and overcoming them, because that makes the feeling of victory that much better in the end. What also makes it sweeter is thinking about the PRACTICE hours you spent, the ones you need to get to that level.

I kinda forgot about my sig. Maybe now is a good time to put it to effect.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #155 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Let's see:

Wayne Gretzy practiced
Michael Jordan practiced
Tiger Woods practices
Rickson Gracie practices
Andre Segovia practiced
Mozart practiced
etc....

But Patrick doesn't have to.
rolleyes.gif
- Maybe he just needs more burn in and to recable himself with a $10K wire.

That's why those athletes don't have any real skill. The only skill they have is that they can repeat something with great accuracy. But they can't make something new.

When you practice you just repeat something you already know!
Practice is worse because it makes you get "locked" inside that technique and it's hard to change. Imagine if they try to change to another sport, they can't! Because after so many hours of repeating and brain washing it becomes a habit which is hard to remove.

True skill is when you can do all sports without practice. True skill is when you can do everything!

See "The Pretender" series on TV, he can do anything and he doesn't need practice.
You need to know how everything works instead of just scraping the surface by practicing something you don't fully understand.

If you know how the human body works you know how to take it to the limit, and then you know that knowledge is far more important than practice. The more you practice the more you sacrifice adaptability. Adaptability is what the true skill is. Practice makes you worse because you become brainwashed and can't unlearn it to learn new things, just look how messed up all those athletes are. They can only think of the sport they are practicing.

As I said, open-minded adaptability is true skill. If you have that you can learn things in a few minutes because you aren't biased and brainwashed. You need to be "fresh" and neutral so you can adapt to anything at any time.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #156 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
Uhhh.....wow. Its called playing because you want to, not because of the money. Ever consider that some people might enjoy the competition and tense atmosphere of a tournament, and do it for fun?

They do it because they like the competition but not the sport. They can change into another sport and still like it because of the competition. Most athletes choose what they are best at because it makes them win and they like it more.
Eventually they forget why they started with the sport in the first place, and they do anything to win, even cheat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
Thousands of hours wasted?? Coming from the guy who spends his time seeing if he can find miniscule differences in cables. There is no way you improve without practicing. Think about something you cant do, maybe wakeboarding or something like that. Can you now go and wakeboard, and hang with the people who put in the time something like that requires to be good? If you think practice is a waste, obviously you dont care about what you do.

Yes. If you dream you can do something, then you can! ALL athletes practice in their dreams. They just do it in real life to confirm they can do it, but they don't realize it's a waste of time. As long as the dream has accurate physics you don't need to practice in real life, ever. You only need a couple days warm-up to get used to the real life environment.
Actually real life practice makes you worse because it isn't a consistent environment to practice in. When I practice in real life I become worse EVERY TIME. If I don't practice I become better.

However, this doesn't apply to sports where you don't require a brain, like running.

In competition no athlete uses their brain, they use routine and do things automatically. Is that skill? NO. Repeating something over and over again isn't skill, it is brainwashing. Is brainwashing skill? NO, anyone can do it, you just need to be obsessed enough to keep doing it over and over again, again repeating something. Athletes are stuck in "eternal repeat mode". Eventually you are incapable to do something else than what you have practiced. That is what has happened to me. I dreamt, ate, slept and kept thinking of the same thing. In the middle of the night half dreaming I stood up from the bed and practiced my body, over and over again. And what did all those 7 years give me? Nothing at all but bad habits that I spent a long time removing. Now I'm "fresh" and don't practice real life anymore, and I improved faster in a year without practicing than in 7 years of hardcore 7+ hours a day practice! 18 000 hours wasted. The problem was, I didn't know what to practice, I just kept repeating and repeating.

Oct 10, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #157 of 365
Ok, I went outside into the real world. Haven't been outside for months.

After 300 meters walking I got sick of it and wanted to turn back, but I had to keep going to take annual blood sample. I got surprised of all those different ugly human faces in the subway, I never expect to see imperfection, if I had emotions it would have been a nightmare. There was also that horrible human smell that made me sick.
Some dumb girl in wheelchair kept screaming very loud, maybe 100 dB, I think something happened with my ears from that. But my ears didn't hurt because I mentally blocked it fast. I don't feel much pain though, sometimes I start bleeding and don't know where it happened, then I see blood on cheese and aha!

Ok, so I come home from real world and turn on music, and I feel DEAF! Music sounds 10 dB quieter and I can't hear detail like before, it's all gone
eek.gif
. Now it makes sense why there are so many cable skeptics. They are out in the real world partying, no wonder they don't hear a difference. Deaf people...
How can I enjoy music if I feel deaf from the real world? If I isolate myself into a quiet room my hearing is 10 dB better.

Uh, I almost can't hear music now, it's so quiet. I thought my system was broken or something, but I checked and everything is like before.
frown.gif

Now it also makes sense with all those who go to make blind tests and fail. You need to isolate yourself to keep ears at their best performance, just like the athlete obsession thing I wrote above. I can't do the real world now because I am locked into audio obsession. There is no point in doing more tweaks if I'm deaf and can't hear it. I need to isolate myself like cave man to bring ears to maximum performance.

Edit: Ok, 20 minutes later it sound little louder. I adjust to it fast now. Few dB is still missing though.

Edit2: Uh, I wish I could control ears on command but I don't know how yet, 40 minutes and still sounds bad.

Edit3: This is bad now. No wonder I used to hear night and day differences when I was isolated inside my room. I am scared of James Randi now. 1 hour isolated isn't long enough to fully recover! Being in real life make me feel like deaf and dumb monkey boy. How can I listen to music now?

Edit4: Ok, this time I paused music for 15 minutes and now it sounds a couple dB louder, getting better!
Problem was I turned on music right after I got home from the real world, I should have waited a while.

Edit5: 1 hour home. OMG, I can hear bass now. Still sounds quiet though.

Oct 10, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #158 of 365
Patrick82--
You have some of the most thought-disordered writing I've ever read.

Oct 10, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #159 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX
Patrick82--
You have some of the most thought-disordered writing I've ever read.

I see now. Looking at my logs I see multiple threads of thoughts going on. I just keep writing everything there. I have written 450 kB in 4 months. OMG the bass, it sounds better now. Why start different log file for each thought? They are all connected anyway and need to eventually merge. I don't think it's a disease though, it's just a side effect from neutrality and adaptability. I am starting to hear more detail now, but still doesn't sound like before. I want to write down the multiple thoughts at the same time, but I need to alternate both, otherwise I forget the other thought. After 80 minutes it sounds almost like before! 1dB is still missing but it will come back after a while. Having multiple threads is great for chess though. I wonder why I suck so bad at it.

Playchess.bullet.(2006.10.08).JPG

Playchess.down.up.down.up.(2006.07.18).JPG

Oh no, I think it makes sense now! Schizophrenia. I never had consistency, see how chart goes up and down, it has been like this for four years. 2 personalities are playing the game! The bass is pounding loud now, I think 90 minutes is what is needed to bring back hearing to like I had before.

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #160 of 365
Ok, this is scary now.

Quote:

Limited interests or preoccupation with a subject to the exclusion of other activities;

= Nordost Valhalla power cord.

Quote:

Repetitive behaviors or rituals;

= Listen to music

Quote:

Clumsy and uncoordinated motor movements.

Quote:

Peculiarities in speech and language;

Video

Quote:

Socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior and interpersonal interaction;
Problems with nonverbal communication;

Not my fault when people have problems understanding when I try telepathy on them. "Huh? Why you not saying anything?".

Quote:

Sometimes these interests are lifelong; in other cases, they change at unpredictable intervals. In either case, there are normally one or two interests at any given time. In pursuit of these interests, people with AS often manifest extremely sophisticated reasoning, an almost obsessive focus, and a remarkably good memory for trivial facts (occasionally even eidetic memory).

I just want to take it to the extreme and now I have mental disorder?

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #161 of 365
The fact that you "don't have emotions" and are disgusted by humanity so much that you can't leave your house are the key indicators here Patrick... Though, I am sure this has come up with your Doctor unless you are a really good actor. Stop analysing everything and feel something!

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #162 of 365
Patrick, I probably have touches of Asperger syndrome, ADD, and that one where you write or say things backwards sometimes. I can't remember its name. I think most people have some symtoms of many of these disorders. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it seriously effects your life.
If you really feel that you have mental problems perhaps you should visit a psychiatrist. Do you have friends or family you can talk to? We are all messed up in one way or another - it is normal - if there is such a thing as normal.

I have to ask, how old are you, and how do you support your hobby and feed yourself?

What I don't understand is if you do not enjoy listening to music why do you do it so much, and spend so much time tweaking your system to make it sound better? People react to music in different ways - some tap their toes, nod their head, get up and dance, have their neck hair raise, get chills in their spine, get relaxed and happy, get irate and irritated, or something else - there is no right way to enjoy music. If you enjoy listening to music for whatever reason just do it, and don't worry about how or why other people do it. I suspect you do enjoy music, and are just trying to figure out why, and how to communicate why you like it. Sometimes it is good to try and figure out why, sometimes it is better to just go with what you feel without having to worry about why.

I collect hobbies because I like to do different things and so that when I retire I'll have plenty of things I can do. I might actively participate in a hobby for a few years, then move on to another one. The one constant for me is music. I go through stages where I spend more or less time on it, but it keeps coming back. I like music, so much so that I resort to using headphones when I have to. But I much prefer my music coming from speakers or live instruments. I am convinced my body senses variations in pressure (i.e. sound) through more than just my ears. YMMV

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #163 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
Ignoring the rest of the conversation in this thread, I'm going to disagree with you on this. These moments exist in trance music in absolute spades, in fact the euphoric hair-stand moments is the very essence of trance and works very well in trance that's done very well (ignore anything that makes it to commercial radio, it's a poor imitation of trance by definition.)

I'm not trance's biggest drum-beater, but one thing it doesn't lack is moments that make hairs stand up on the neck. It won't do so for everyone, of course, and for you that's probably true.

Totally agree on the Nina Simone. Actually Sinnerman always does it for me, I don't even have to hear it, I just think about the piano being played and I can feel the hairs already. Great stuff.

Hair stand up: energetic trance (if there is any)
Paul Oakenfold- Southern Sun,
ATB- Hold You, ecstasy
Its best to listen to the above in the airport/on a plane. Especially if its destination is ibiza.

Cold massive reverb/synth action:
Ayumi Hamasaki- A Song For XX [Ferry Corsten Chilled Mix]
Listen to that one outside on a busy city street during a windy winter evening through a cd player/ss amp. Your bones will shake. The cold wind blowing against your body accentuates the effect.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #164 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
The fact that you "don't have emotions" and are disgusted by humanity so much that you can't leave your house are the key indicators here Patrick... Though, I am sure this has come up with your Doctor unless you are a really good actor. Stop analysing everything and feel something!

Philodox,

I'm fairly sure Patrick knows what's wrong with him, how else could he afford to live when he doesn't leave the house or have a job?

The only question is whether it's appropriate to find his posts so amusing.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #165 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
Hair stand up: energetic trance (if there is any)
Paul Oakenfold- Southern Sun,
ATB- Hold You, ecstasy
Its best to listen to the above in the airport/on a plane. Especially if its destination is ibiza.

Cold massive reverb/synth action:
Ayumi Hamasaki- A Song For XX [Ferry Corsten Chilled Mix]
Listen to that one outside on a busy city street during a windy winter evening through a cd player/ss amp. Your bones will shake. The cold wind blowing against your body accentuates the effect.

I don't get it. What thoughts go on inside the brain? Does enjoyment have to do with childhood memories?

I have listened to those ATB songs 80+ times, I never had hair standing up. Ecstasy is my reference track for sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back