How to defend against being called an audio snob
Sep 10, 2011 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mjs0008

New Head-Fier
Hi all recently my girlfriend of all people referred to my recently found hobby of hi-fi (low-mid fi by some standards) as audio snobbery.  So being that I don't believe there is a post about being called a snob or defending your opinion on hi quality audio gear, I thought I would try and start a thread with peoples opinions and tales of being questioned on our favorite audio pass-time.

Thanks and looking forward to peoples thoughts and stories.

Sep 10, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 14
"Hey that's a nice Ipod."

"Not Ipod, Cowon."

"What's that?"

"Listen here."

"Holy-"

"I know."

"But how-"

"Wrong choice on your part."

"Where can I-"

"Amazon."

I see it as don't comment on the item they already have, show them something nice. Don't try to pick a fight, people like to defend their expensive stuff, ya know? So just agree any know you're right.

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 14
Essentially I just end up agreeing with people on the outside to stop arguments but, recently i showed the girlfriend your hd598's and she said I must have those, I responded with I thought you considered such things audio snobbery based on either the price or what they supposedly do better than the cheap cans.  Ironically she stopped arguing after that comment
rolleyes.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 14
Just own the term. Admit you're a snob about audio gear. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Also ask some questions about what they spend a lot of money on. Hobbies, cars, travel, whatever. Then ask if they would like it if you made fun of their interests. That will put a quick end to things.

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Most of the time I never need to defend myself if I'm asked about my stuff. A lot of people at my school invest in their stereo systems for their trucks so they understand.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 14
I think it's about how you use your language to communicate. Truth be told, most people can care less if the sound is warm with tubes and with the proper detail and sound stage. I would just ignore other people's opinions and enjoy your rig. If someone happens to ask, just politely tell them that you prefer certain components that is ideal for your stereo rig. Most people will just move on and ignore. 

Yes I get excited about hi-fi but I NEVER share my enthusiasm with other people because of what I just stated in my second sentence. Just keep it to yourself and enjoy it privately.

If you really want to impress people, cook a great meal with some good wine and music in the background. Wives will flirt with you and be mystified of your complex rig and charming persona, even though they have no idea of the details. Your talent and charm will prevail over your rig.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 14
Most people are really into just what they are into.

They listen to W I I F M

This is a great radio station and most all folks your talking to play it on a regular basis. It stands for What's In It For Me.
They mostly don't even want to hear about audio stuff. It is the most boring subject out there for people to talk about if they are not audiophiles. Best just to smile.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 14
Don't be one :D, admit that you enjoy your music more with high end gear and that no everybody needs audiophile gear to enjoy music. After that, say that it's normal to spend money on you hobby, be it shoes, cars, handbags or fishing rods.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Figure out what they spend absurd amounts of money on, be it clothing or cell phones. Call them a snob for it. If they don't get what you mean, they never will.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 14
HTFU.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 14
Be accommodating. Don't offer advice unless you're asked for it. Don't show off your gear unless you're asked about it.

Maybe admit you pay more attention to the equipment than most people do, but it's ultimately because you love the music and want to hear it as best you can.

Usually when people are throwing words like snob around, they're not trying to rail on you, they're just pointing out something about you that is unlike them, or that they don't get. Own up to your hobby with good humor, let the conversation shift to something else.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 14
The conversations I have with people are based entirely on their reactions to what I say (you know, paying attention to them) you can tell by facial expressions, and tone of voice as to if someone is interested in what your saying, and adjust accordingly, this means I've talked to 10year olds about their views on the universe, meaning of life etc, because they were interested, wanted to talk about it, others hate the idea that I even think about anything more than what the girl walking down the street looks like, so I just talk down to their level.
this translates to hobbies, and every aspect of my life very well.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 14
As much as I'd like to share my feelings on my audio gear with all my friends, that isn't going to happen. I just know they aren't interested for the most part. I'm very good at explaining things without getting technical (I taught a 90 year old woman to use a computer) so if people ask about my hobbies, I just say that I have a nice hi-fi system with good headphones (for when I can't use speakers). Sometimes the odd friend gets to try a pair of shiny, aluminium headphones that resemble Grados out of my iPod. They nod and smile and say it was nice, but Japanese people are polite like that. 
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 14
For your girlfriend, take what it costs, then divide that much by 2 (or 3) and tell her that's how much it cost, well it works for me... she still thinks I'm ridiculous though.
For everyone else, what does it matter? Like others have said, nobody needs to know... audio is a very personal thing and people generally aren't interested... that's why these forums are so great, there' people with a similar passion.
I know my flatmates think I'm absolutely ridiculous for buying a headphone amplifier (and DAC, even when they don't know what one is) rather than just using the headphone jack in my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back