How to create M3U playlists for use on the X1, X3 and X5 from your computer
Sep 23, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #16 of 78
  I've update my X1's firmware into 1.5.
I exported a playlist from iTunes (Mac) into an M3U8 file then edited it based on the tips posted here and retained just 5 songs in the list for easy editing as seen below.
It is saved on the root.
I keep on getting a "File Not Found" message.

#EXTM3U
Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-01 I Wish That I Was Making Love.mp3
Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-02 Crazy Love.mp3
Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-03 Greatest American Hero (Belive It Or Not).mp3
Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-04 Promise Me A Carousel.mp3
Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-05 Let's Make A Memory.mp3

I removed the #EXTM3U and it was recognized already but it only plays the first file.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #17 of 78

I've update my X1's firmware into 1.5.
I exported a playlist from iTunes (Mac) into an M3U8 file then edited it based on the tips posted here and retained just 5 songs in the list for easy editing as seen below.
It is saved on the root.
I keep on getting a "File Not Found" message.

#EXTM3U

Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-01 I Wish That I Was Making Love.mp3

Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-02 Crazy Love.mp3

Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-03 Greatest American Hero (Belive It Or Not).mp3

Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-04 Promise Me A Carousel.mp3

Crusin Albums/Cruisin' Opus III_ Sonnets/1-05 Let's Make A Memory.mp3

I removed the #EXTM3U and it was recognized already but it only plays the first file.

What happens to the second file?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 22, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 78
I can't get this to work.  I've followed the directions to the letter and made sure that there are no drive letters in my playlist but I get nothing.  I go to the root directory via the folder browser and the playlist icon is there.  When I click on it, the songs are there but I get the "File does not exist" message when I try to actually play the tracks.

There are no slashes at the beginning of each line.  I am running FW2.6 for the X5 first generation.

Help?

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #20 of 78
  I can't get this to work.  I've followed the directions to the letter and made sure that there are no drive letters in my playlist but I get nothing.  I go to the root directory via the folder browser and the playlist icon is there.  When I click on it, the songs are there but I get the "File does not exist" message when I try to actually play the tracks.

There are no slashes at the beginning of each line.  I am running FW2.6 for the X5 first generation.

Help?

Hi, could you please directly show us the content of the playlist? Then we can analyse this problem better.  And it will be better if you can let us know the file struture relevant to the playlist.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #21 of 78

Hi, could you please directly show us the content of the playlist? Then we can analyse this problem better.  And it will be better if you can let us know the file struture relevant to the playlist.

This is my T2 MicroSD card root directory.  The card only contains a single directory: "The Bootleg Series, Vol. 12...."

Here is the format of my playlist.  Drive letters have been removed:

So, what am I doing wrong?

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 78
(long post deleted)

Bottom line, the playlist entries are simply

TF1:\path\more_path\still_more_path\filename

and the playlist file can be anywhere on the device. Also do not need #EXTM3U headers. So the rules are -

1 - back slashes
2 - TF1: prefix
3 - absolute or relative pathing works, but absolute is guaranteed to work no matter where you put your .m3u files.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #24 of 78

Fiio devices also cannot see very long file names (over 255 characters or thereabouts).

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #25 of 78
  This is my T2 MicroSD card root directory.  The card only contains a single directory: "The Bootleg Series, Vol. 12...."

Add TF1:\ to the front of each path name.

Also as Mikesale says, long path names are tricky. Yours are still under 256, but maybe shorten that "Bootleg Series" name a bit.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #26 of 78
Just bought an X1 and updated firmware to ver 1.6.  Can I create playlist using Windows Media Player?  The whole process of creating playlists is ridiculously complex compared to every other mp3 player I've ever used. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #27 of 78
Just bought an X1 and updated firmware to ver 1.6.  Can I create playlist using Windows Media Player?  The whole process of creating playlists is ridiculously complex compared to every other mp3 player I've ever used. 

Sorry, the playlists created by WMP are not compatible. But you can create playlists right on the player itself. Just click the upper left front panel button ("Shortcut button") in the now playing screen showing the track currently playing and, from the button icons that appear onscreen, choose and select the "+" button, and you will be led to creating a new playlist or adding the song to an existing playlist. :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #28 of 78
Sorry, the playlists created by WMP are not compatible. But you can create playlists right on the player itself. Just click the upper left front panel button ("Shortcut button") in the now playing screen showing the track currently playing and, from the button icons that appear onscreen, choose and select the "+" button, and you will be led to creating a new playlist or adding the song to an existing playlist.
redface.gif

Thank you for your reply.  Because of the playlist incompatibility and playback issues I decided to return the player. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #29 of 78
I used dapper on my mac and it handled my playlists and I never had to deal with this crap. I have a Windows now and it seems like I have to do this manually which is incredibly awful. There must be a better way to do this.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #30 of 78
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like we still can't achieve this functionality below.

Use two sd cards (say 200GB each) and load music into each card in split functionality (your music library is greater than 200GB so you need to put half in each sd card). Add playlists with relative paths (doesn't specify drive letter). fiio can't play music from the playlist if it's on the other sd card.

I would think the firmware should be able to check both sd cards for the file path for a particular playlist very easily. It should be a simple 'if file exists->play; else->look on other card' type check. If fiio's firmware was open source, I'd go in and make the change myself to get this functionality.

I'd love to be wrong about this but so far, this is the only thing holding me back from buying a fiio. The other option is to wait for individual sd cards to grow past my music library size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back