How to convince my brother Skullcandy is a bad idea...
May 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #31 of 48

Quote:
The thing is though, I think that is he only cares about looks, you could probably steer him to something that both looks good and sounds good... Who knows, maybe he might come to appreciate the sound once he compare them to his friends' Skullcandies!

I remember back when I bought a pair of Skullcrushers. Biggest piece of garbage ever. My first pair broke within the month, and my replacement was broken right out of the package. That was the last pair of Skullcandies I ever bought. Before those, I always thought looks > sound, but it's totally different now. Kinda amazing how much things change within one year. :D

May 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #32 of 48
The funny thing is Skullcandy led me here. It's what started getting me interested in headphones after I bought my gf her Hesh 'phones, which later were substituted for some M50's... which then led me here over a year ago, and now I've come back full circle with some Aviators. Funny how things work. Anyway, I hope your brother is happy with whatever choice he makes. At some point I'm sure he'll become more and more interested in better SQ.  

May 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #33 of 48

Quote:
Wait, I think you misinterpreted what I meant.

You said, "I think that is he only cares about looks"

And that's where my comment comes in:

Oh, ok... I thought you were referring to the second part or something (I was actually confused for a minute there)... That first part was the given

May 14, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #34 of 48
I'll have to ask him again what his budget is but I don't think the aviators are in it. I figure he'd spend up to like $50. Though he did ask me today just what headphones I was talking about when I told him he could do better for the price. I told him there are literally tons of choices in the $0 - $50 range.

Quote:
Don't ever force anyone to buy anything they don't want to :)

If he wants them, let him get them.  Just make sure to keep the receipt and attempt to show him a better deal in another brand if happen to have something nicer :D

This is pretty much how I see it. I figure if he wants them bad enough, he'll get them.

May 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #36 of 48
Like I said earlier, "I tell him all the time that I don't want him to turn out as just another of the sheeple." I'd never force him to like what I like, but want to slowly push him toward the idea of doing your own research in life, not just following the masses all the time.

May 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #37 of 48
Use reverse psychology on him. That should do the trick.
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #38 of 48
This whole "let him do what he wants" argument is getting kind of dull. OP isn't forcing his brother to any choice. He, like us, shares the opinion that headphones are made for audio reproduction and should only serve as expensive necklaces in second place. All he is trying to do is show his brother other choices, and hope that he will want something that sound better. Not the same as force him.

May 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #39 of 48
Well he decided on the XB500. I had him listen to my M50s and asked if he wanted more or less bass. I was expecting him to say something along the lines of wanting as much as he could possibly get, but he said he liked the sound of the M50s just with "a little more bass." He didn't really like my 650's though, but I wasn't offended. Apparently the XB500s are "cool enough looking" and he asked if they were more durable than skullcandys which I told him they are. I also told him that the worse case scenario, if he doesn't like them, I'll buy them from him.

May 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #40 of 48
If he's concerned about looks, I'm surprised he's ok with the XB500, but good for him! Also, he can always use some EQ. It's not the best thing to do, but honestly you need some >150$ headphones to really notice the lost in SQ from it.

May 17, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #41 of 48
this is one head-fi success story!! I wonder what his friends will think for his sony. I hope they all like it enough to ditch skullcandy!

Quote:
Well he decided on the XB500. I had him listen to my M50s and asked if he wanted more or less bass. I was expecting him to say something along the lines of wanting as much as he could possibly get, but he said he liked the sound of the M50s just with "a little more bass." He didn't really like my 650's though, but I wasn't offended. Apparently the XB500s are "cool enough looking" and he asked if they were more durable than skullcandys which I told him they are. I also told him that the worse case scenario, if he doesn't like them, I'll buy them from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back