How to convince my brother Skullcandy is a bad idea...
May 14, 2011 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

theoandtheb

100+ Head-Fier
The other day my brother told me that he wanted to get Skullcandy's. Knowing I was into headphones and not a fan of Skullcandy, I suspect this was more of a move to get my reaction. I told him he could do better but he's pretty stubborn and didn't want to listen to my reasoning despite admitting that I knew more about quality headphones than he does. Even after a few days of trying to convince him otherwise, he seems pretty set on them. As he's in middle school, I'm sure the biggest reasoning behind wanting them is the influence from other kids at school. Are there any better ways to turn him away other than basic reasoning, or do I just let him get them and learn on his own? He said he's going to pay for them with his own money that he's saved up. I just don't want him to waste that money on a product that will more than likely break on him.

May 14, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 48
buy him a set of ksc75, which I consider the gateway drug. Or gift him something good. He'll soon hate the skullcandy and gift them away.Or buy some cheap OEM skull candy from a chinese site like dealextreme and stuff some ksc75 drivers in them.

The best idea I could come up with is convince him to at least buy a pair of refurb monster turbine where hip kids fashoin intersects with the audiophile kingdom

May 14, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 48
Kids his age usually don't care about sound quality, if he is being influenced by other kids, just let him get them. He will be accepted by his peers instead of being ridiculed for having old people headphones.

May 14, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 48
Let him use your M50s for a couple days so he knows what decent headphones sound like. Then suggest that he listens to the Skullcandies in the store before buying. If he cares about the sound quality, he should be able to decide for himself. But not everyone cares about the sound. Some primarily buy headphones for style rather than for listening.

That said, I've seen a couple of reviews recently that praised the Skullcandy Aviators for their sound. Never actually tried them myself though.

May 14, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 48
why is there so many of these posts regarding "convince" and "skull candy" lol

if people wanted sound quality over looks, marketing and price they will eventually do their own research and end up here

then end up dropping a few hundred...

May 14, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 48
Skullcandy got lifetime warranty, maybe if lots of us buy some skullcandies and then "accidentaly" crush them (shouldn't need lots of effort), maybe they get out of business sooner or later. :p

May 14, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 48
K518/K81 with inner foam pads removed, you can get them in funky colours too.

If he really wants a the on-Head-Fi-generally-detested-product it might be a group thing. Good luck anyway...

May 14, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 48
Honour Killing.

But in all reality, he's more influenced by what his peers tell him, not his family. So maybe begin with something about the same price and let him listen to it. if it's a $40 pair, get him something at the same price and let him listen to it. i mean, how I got into audio was that I found that I couldn't get anything good out of all the headphones people recommended. So I decided to go research. Got here, fell in love with the site (the wealth of information), and I am really waiting to go back to Canada so I can get more into this *ahem* "Hobby" *ahem*

May 14, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 48
Has anyone tried the SK Pro before saying everything they do besides the Aviators sucks? Just because Jude said the Aviators were decent doesn't mean you have to be all cheerleading about it. I tried a store model SK Pro and it sounded ok, even though it's being used 18 hours/day on the store

May 14, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #13 of 48

Quote:
Has anyone tried the SK Pro before saying everything they do besides the Aviators sucks? Just because Jude said the Aviators were decent doesn't mean you have to be all cheerleading about it. I tried a store model SK Pro and it sounded ok, even though it's being used 18 hours/day on the store

Personally, I have not had the option. I personally only recommend the lower end models to be replaced by head-fi approved headphones/earphones. anything under $40 is "i'm sure you'll have better with something like (insert headphones here) at that price." I haven't tried anything higher then that. (basically, I've tried every model under $40, so I can remember what they sound like. For research purposes, I might do it again.)

Edit: On second thought, it would cost me $379.19. Unless somebody gives me a really good reason to do this again, then i'm not going to. The other times, I was at a SK store checking them out. I might just do that again if I can find another one.

May 14, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #14 of 48
If you're successful, please let us know how you did it.  I'm in the same pickle with my son...

May 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #15 of 48
Yes, I fear as some of you have mentioned, getting skullcandys isn't so much a desire to seek out good sound/build quality, but to more likely impress or fit in with his peers. I tell him all the time that I don't want him to turn out as just another of the sheeple, but I guess with some things he'll just have to figure out what he likes on his own. 

I've thought about that. Honestly, I wouldn't even know what stores carry skullcandy and have demo models.

Quote:
Let him use your M50s for a couple days so he knows what decent headphones sound like. Then suggest that he listens to the Skullcandies in the store before buying. If he cares about the sound quality, he should be able to decide for himself. But not everyone cares about the sound. Some primarily buy headphones for style rather than for listening.

I'm almost positive it's not the aviators. He doesn't have that much to spend

Quote:

Which pair of skullcandies does he want to get?  Pretty much anything but the Aviators are awful.  But the Aviators are expensive.  How much did he want to spend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back