How to clean SR60 pads?
Aug 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cappuccino

Head-Fier
What would be the best way to clean the SR60i pads? It's the stock 'comfies'. Would the good old soap and water be fine, or do I need to do anything else?

Also, slightly off topic, but I didn't want to start a new topic on it, how comfortable are the L-Pads compared to the stock ones?

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 9
A lot more comfortable

Small amount of dish soap with warm water. Squeeze and squeeze. rinse with clean water very well and smash down in a towel until partially dry. Let dry over night.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 9
You can use some shampoo as well. 
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Small amount of dish soap with warm water. Squeeze and squeeze. rinse with clean water very well and smash down in a towel until partially dry. Let dry over night.

I basically do the same process.  However, after I've squeezed them a few times to get the soap worked through them, I also let them sit in the warm water for a half hour or so.  Then, I go back and fully rinse them and squeeze the water out and let them dry on a paper towel.

I did read on another site that using some fabric softener would make the pads a bit softer.  It seemed to have helped for a few weeks, but the scent of wild flowers in the softener also remained in the pads.  The smell was almost unbearable for about a month.  I basically think that when a pad starts to become hard, then replacing it is the best option.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 9
This process for cleaning can be applied to any of the foam pads.  At this point in time, I'm mainly using bowl pads.  I picked up a used set of Grados with bowls on it and the first thing I did was wash the pads thoroughly.  There was some dirt or dust in the pads as the water in the sink did have a little darkness in the color.  I'm not a germophobe, but I do like clean pads - especially when the headphones were used for a number of years by another individual.  Also, I'm sure that cleaning the pads will probably add some life to them as opposed to shortening the life-span, if the detergent you use is mild.  Dirt, can be a factor that affects the foam over time - along with leaving the headphones in the sun, which can also lead to the drying and rotting of the pads.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 9
I don't mind tossing them in the laundry and blow drying them afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back