how to became an headphonus supremus?
Dec 28, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I practically live here now so I guess I'd better start paying rent soon.

Pay your rent here....
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #49 of 72
Psst! Hey! I heard that there is a secret Hedphonus Supremus fomum that can only be acceced by other people that have received the mythical Headphonus Supremus title. They must take a vow of secrecy so none of them ever posts about it. The only way to find out what it's like there is to become on of them.

I'm not lying...

Dec 28, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bleh, I thought people got Headphoneus Supremus based on how knowledgeable they are about headphones
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif

Nope, not at all.

Dec 28, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by zomas65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so curious, what's the meaning of "Resistorous Conflagorous" ?
confused.gif

I earned that title by virtue of a PPA that I fixed for a friend that had the nasty habit of smoking resistors.
biggrin.gif
There's a rather long thread buried somewhere in the DIY forum about it.

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Bleh, I thought people got Headphoneus Supremus based on how knowledgeable they are about headphones
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif

That might be the optimal way. But almost impossible to handle, I presume.
Who would grant you the "Headphoneus Supremus" title? And which rules should he/she/they use to decide if a member are knowledgeable "enough" about headphones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zayeem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Psst! Hey! I heard that there is a secret Hedphonus Supremus fomum that can only be acceced by other people that have received the mythical Headphonus Supremus title. They must take a vow of secrecy so none of them ever posts about it. The only way to find out what it's like there is to become on of them.

I'm not lying...

Hmmm... Maybe, maybe not!
cool.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That might be the optimal way. But almost impossible to handle, presume.
Who would grant you the "Headphoneus Supremus"? And which rules should he/she/they use to decide if a member are knowledgeable "enough" about headphones?

cool.gif
tongue.gif

Yea you're right. I guess I assumed the moderators read each post of every thread and kept a tab of every potential Headphoneus Supremus. Unlikely. But I mainly thought that people who have heard many headphones/setups/etc would be the prime canidates for that lofty title
redface.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cool.gif
tongue.gif

a secret forum only for headphonus supremus? Whoah! please let us mortal beinghs know what happens there! ...beatiful blonde girls from Norway ready to massage your neck when you're listening your preferite music, with your preferite cans!?
I can't imagine a similar place!
eek.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

But I mainly thought that people who have heard many headphones/setups/etc would be the prime canidates for that lofty title
redface.gif

I think there used to be a loose idea floating around that the longer one spent in this hobby, the more (s)he would know and be able to post about knowing. Members used to keep other members in check (somewhat) about useless posts, and there used to be a Certifiably Inane forum (similar in content to most of what comprises the content of the members' lounge today), where you were free to post, but, if I remember correctly, your posts wouldn't be added into your count. I wasn't around at that time, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole idea was that only useful posts should count and there would then, in theory, be a correlation between post count and experience.

I have noticed a scary amount of members lately, more and more in the past year, who are just spamming threads to raise their post count for image only reasons, and then celebrating their post counts (100, 500, 1000) in the members' lounge in little self-aggrandizing threads. Gawd awful for the most part (though some are good-natured spoofs)! If it's a particularly new member, I'm always embarrassed for them. It's like announcing: Look at me! I'm a thread spammer! I'm like a baby wanting praise for pooping in his diapers more than the other babies.

When looking for advice in the gear forums, I'm always most wary of the advice given by anyone with a high post count and limited experience and/or time on this board. Sometimes the person knows what he is talking about, but usually it's indicative of someone who enthusiastically posts the equivalent of rapid-fire farts that stink up the room, of someone who has confused farting with communicating, and of someone who likes the smell of his own farts. The sad thing is that the member usually (not always) is doing so to make himself feel important rather than trying to be helpful to anyone.

With that in mind, I personally would like to see the title headphonus supreme-ass used as a friendly alternative for those who earned it.

EDIT: just so you know, at least half my posts, if not more, are useless blabberings...kinda like this one
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't around at that time, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole idea was that only useful posts should count and there would then, in theory, be a correlation between post count and experience.

That would definitely purify the collective knowledge of this forum! Or am I just blabbering too
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #57 of 72
Seeing that I'm currently right at the bottom of the heap - I'd better start posting more to just to keep afloat.

It'll be cool if somebody can develop a software to access the quality of the thread (e.g how verbose, how many times you mention key words like HD650, Woodies, Bose, Cans etc etc) and use it to assign points towards headphoneus supremus. Or else members can just assign points to whatever posts / whoever they like - Moderators can have power to remove points.

This will be fun and ugly - instead of plain ol' boring post counts.

Of course I'm sure Jude has more pressing concerns like making sure the server does not crash again to bother with such nitty gritty things

her shann

Dec 28, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #58 of 72
This thread reminds me of when I would write training programs and asked for "experienced" operators. There were those who had twenty years of experience and those who had one year of experience twenty times!

While I have no doubt most of the Headphoneus Supremus folks have the knowledge (or at least I hope so), some with the exalted title probably got there with "x2" and other posts of limited/no value. I generally post once for every one or two thousand I read. At that rate I'll be lucky to reach HS before I die. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back