How to avoid GAS?
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) can be a problem for some. The quest for “better” sound leads one on an endless journey, seeking a new and improved experience. I can understand wanting to experiment but at a certain point you have to live with what you have. To save the wallet and for peace of mind, and to focus on listening to music and not equipment. :)

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 17
GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) can be a problem for some. The quest for “better” sound leads one on an endless journey, seeking a new and improved experience. I can understand wanting to experiment but at a certain point you have to live with what you have. To save the wallet and for peace of mind, and to focus on listening to music and not equipment. :)

Now you tell me.:sweat_smile:

Feb 14, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 17
I think the best way to avoid GAS is to get disappointed in audiophilia after realising the most improvements audiophiles hear between DACs and amps are a placebo. Also, that once you get a good headphone that does not distort, you can achieve any type of sound signature you want and imitate the sound of any other headphone by EQing. Moreover, realise that soundstage in headphones is a lie.

At least that's what worked for me.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 17
The quest for “better” sound leads one on an endless journey, seeking a new and improved experience.

Lord WILL you have mercy?!

Have been on the quest for a good six years now and above realisation is at peak level. It's not even that (owning) better or more suitable gear ''to be able to enjoy music more gloriously'' is the most important. Personally that's still just on the surface and even BS. Underlying is keeping occupied, at least for me. Some sense of purpose.

I think the best way to avoid GAS is to get disappointed

A good start. What comes after disappointment is the challenge. Left for more better, right for calling it a day :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 17
How to avoid GAS?

I would say the first thing is to learn some basics facts/science, for example, what digital data is. That alone will cut out large swathes of audiophile gear available for "acquisition". After that, learning some basic facts/science about analogue audio will cut out more swathes of audiophile gear. At the end of the day, the result will be a great deal less audiophile gear worth "acquiring" to start with and therefore "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" limited to only certain types of "gear"!

G

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 17
I would say the first thing is to learn some basics facts/science, for example, what digital data is. That alone will cut out large swathes of audiophile gear available for "acquisition". After that, learning some basic facts/science about analogue audio will cut out more swathes of audiophile gear. At the end of the day, the result will be a great deal less audiophile gear worth "acquiring" to start with and therefore "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" limited to only certain types of "gear"!

G

Problem with that is that I simply shift the percentage to speakers/headphones instead. Instead of spending 50% of my money on it, I now spend 100%!

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 17
Problem with that is that I simply shift the percentage to speakers/headphones instead. Instead of spending 50% of my money on it, I now spend 100%!

My advice doesn't necessarily reduce the amount of money one spends, just the amount of gear one acquires. So in your case, maybe several sets of headphones/speakers as opposed to several sets of headphones/speakers, plus different audiophile DACs, amps, cables, routers, electronic components, data "purifiers", digital formats and various other snake oil.

G

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 17
My advice doesn't necessarily reduce the amount of money one spends, just the amount of gear one acquires. So in your case, maybe several sets of headphones/speakers as opposed to several sets of headphones/speakers, plus different audiophile DACs, amps, cables, routers, electronic components, data "purifiers", digital formats and various other snake oil.

G

Loosen up mate, it's a joke.

That being said, yeah. Still on the same old amp/DAC combo, but I've acquired loads of headphones and earphones since.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 17
Some years back I did a lot of photography. In reality I acquired a lot of camera gear. At some point I realised that I probably spent more time researching on gear than I spent on taking the actual photographs. Strange paradox as it was actually the joy and adventure of taking the images that got me into photography in the first place. I remember doing a list of all the lenses and camera houses that I had bought and sold over merely a couple of years. Shocking! I was never satisfied. As soon as I got that dream glass I was already moving on to the next. Then I sold all my gear and was immediately relieved. Now, all I use for taking photos is my iPhone Xr. Great camera. Sometimes I think about getting a DSLR but I know that I will not be able to just enjoy it... At least, I am not willing to running the risk of the GAS...

Fast forward to the spring of 2020. Just bought a nice set of headphones. Very happy. I got a DF Red to connect with my iPhone. After a few days, I read about the Chord Mojo - so of course I sold my DF and bought the Mojo. Very happy, but you probably see where all this is heading. I am already considering upgrading my headphones or getting a set of open headphones as I have convinced myself that a pair of closed cans is only half the joy. Thinking about my past and my photo GAS I have decided to try to resist and just spend my time listening to music. After all that is why I bought the headphones to begin with. Lesson learnt is: it never stops. I have a severe case of GAS. In fact it is an abuse.

So how to avoid? Maybe all it takes is to push the stop button every once in a while. Take some time to consider why you bought that first pair of headphones. And then learn to live with the fact that it is extremely difficult to resist keep maximizing your gear. You're not alone with that challenge.

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 17
The easiest way to avoid it is to simply define the problem. If you have a clear idea of a practical purpose for your upgrade, and you make sure your purchase directly and completely addresses that, you are OK. Money well spent. It's only a problem when you upgrade for the sake of upgrading. That usually ends up not upgrading at all, just spending money.

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 17
I thought the thread was going to be about avoiding headphones with gallium-arsenide semiconductors. What a letdown :p

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 17
Log off Head-Fi for a few months (or more). Maybe controversial but a lot of the seeds of gear buying are sown here by posts suggesting Gear B is "way better" than Gear A when the reality is that differences are much more subtle than not. If there's something you like listening to someone's post shouldn't drive you to think you are missing something in the music. The best way to avoid that temptation is not to read the noise.

Apr 3, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 17
Get into trying everything possible with your favorite set. Roll tips/pads, cables , do mods, etc.

I avoided gas for months (still am) because i got a couple iems to try. Loved the kz zsx most. Its the only one i kept.

After 2 months of listening and cable rolling i eventually modded them (added vents) and the soundstage is so wide now i sometimes turn my head around thinking there is a sound in the room. Its that good. (The guys in the kz thread dont wanna hear about anything like that though.)

I used to own some triple driver IEMs i paid $300 for and these blow them out of the water.

You just gotta be happy with your favorite gear of what you have and not believe its always inferior to something.

Right now my main issue is I want an amp that has a low gain enough mode that i can use more than the first 1/10 of any volume knob before my IEMs get too loud. Lol

PS There is some value to the above post.
I didn't come here on this site between deciding i was in love with my zsx and decided to share my zsx mod. Surely that helps. But you can remind yourself its just a lot of hype. But i also want to find a cheap dac/amp intended for IEM use now..... Lol

Apr 3, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 17
I usually read animus', crinacle's, toranku's reviews/ impressions of IEMs. What you think might be good is actually "trash". LOL!
I'm gullible and I believe them, saves me a lot of money though :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back