How to avoid GAS?
post-15467658
Post #1 of 8

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) can be a problem for some. The quest for “better” sound leads one on an endless journey, seeking a new and improved experience. I can understand wanting to experiment but at a certain point you have to live with what you have. To save the wallet and for peace of mind, and to focus on listening to music and not equipment. :)

Reactions: moriez
post-15467675
Post #2 of 8

Steve999

smooth, DARK
Reaction score
GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) can be a problem for some. The quest for “better” sound leads one on an endless journey, seeking a new and improved experience. I can understand wanting to experiment but at a certain point you have to live with what you have. To save the wallet and for peace of mind, and to focus on listening to music and not equipment. :)

Now you tell me.:sweat_smile:

post-15468193
Post #3 of 8

alexwise

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I think the best way to avoid GAS is to get disappointed in audiophilia after realising the most improvements audiophiles hear between DACs and amps are a placebo. Also, that once you get a good headphone that does not distort, you can achieve any type of sound signature you want and imitate the sound of any other headphone by EQing. Moreover, realise that soundstage in headphones is a lie.

At least that's what worked for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TronII
post-15468485
Post #4 of 8

moriez

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
The quest for “better” sound leads one on an endless journey, seeking a new and improved experience.
Lord WILL you have mercy?!

Have been on the quest for a good six years now and above realisation is at peak level. It's not even that (owning) better or more suitable gear ''to be able to enjoy music more gloriously'' is the most important. Personally that's still just on the surface and even BS. Underlying is keeping occupied, at least for me. Some sense of purpose.

I think the best way to avoid GAS is to get disappointed
A good start. What comes after disappointment is the challenge. Left for more better, right for calling it a day :wink:

Last edited:
post-15468523
Post #5 of 8

gregorio

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
How to avoid GAS?
I would say the first thing is to learn some basics facts/science, for example, what digital data is. That alone will cut out large swathes of audiophile gear available for "acquisition". After that, learning some basic facts/science about analogue audio will cut out more swathes of audiophile gear. At the end of the day, the result will be a great deal less audiophile gear worth "acquiring" to start with and therefore "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" limited to only certain types of "gear"!

G

post-15468560
Post #6 of 8

dazzerfong

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I would say the first thing is to learn some basics facts/science, for example, what digital data is. That alone will cut out large swathes of audiophile gear available for "acquisition". After that, learning some basic facts/science about analogue audio will cut out more swathes of audiophile gear. At the end of the day, the result will be a great deal less audiophile gear worth "acquiring" to start with and therefore "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" limited to only certain types of "gear"!

G
Problem with that is that I simply shift the percentage to speakers/headphones instead. Instead of spending 50% of my money on it, I now spend 100%!

Reactions: candlejack
post-15468620
Post #7 of 8

gregorio

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Problem with that is that I simply shift the percentage to speakers/headphones instead. Instead of spending 50% of my money on it, I now spend 100%!
My advice doesn't necessarily reduce the amount of money one spends, just the amount of gear one acquires. So in your case, maybe several sets of headphones/speakers as opposed to several sets of headphones/speakers, plus different audiophile DACs, amps, cables, routers, electronic components, data "purifiers", digital formats and various other snake oil.

G

Reactions: candlejack
post-15468733
Post #8 of 8

dazzerfong

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
My advice doesn't necessarily reduce the amount of money one spends, just the amount of gear one acquires. So in your case, maybe several sets of headphones/speakers as opposed to several sets of headphones/speakers, plus different audiophile DACs, amps, cables, routers, electronic components, data "purifiers", digital formats and various other snake oil.

G
Loosen up mate, it's a joke.

That being said, yeah. Still on the same old amp/DAC combo, but I've acquired loads of headphones and earphones since.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)