How the heck do people get viruses on PC's???
Aug 2, 2006 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
I read recently in a few threads that people are switching to mac because and only because they can't stand all of the viruses and spyware on the PC. Now I have nothing against Macs (I use one for my podcast), but I must say, how in the heck are these people managing to get viruses on the PC?

I have never gotten a virus on my personal computer in about five years, or the extent I've had my own computer. I simply install Nod32 and Webroot Spysweeper and then forget about them. They automatically update, scan when I'm asleep, etc, etc. They are completley transparent, I haven't even opened up their control panels in months. And my computer is 100% clean.

I just don't understand, assuming that you have two simple, small, utterly transparent programs, how you could possibly get a virus. Unless you're one of those people who click on the "YOU WON A MILLION DOLLARS" ads on **** sites...

And even if you do click on those, the program gives you a little pop up box, you click "delete" and you're done.

It just boggles my mind.....

Aug 2, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 38
Your username may provide a hint. It's always easy for those who know (or even care to learn) what they're doing with computers.

I'm one of those folks who is switching over to a Mac to rid myself of the constant nightmares. I'm more concerned with getting all of the gremlins off my computer than understanding how they got on it.

I'll have to try the software you've suggested. Thanks for the tip. But I'm still swithcing to the Mac!

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 38
Fair enough, but I was a noob at computers too when I first started learning, and still never got them.

By the way, out of curiosity, what virus protection (if any) were you using on your infested pc? $10 says it was either Norton or McAfee, the Boses of the software world....

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
Fair enough, but I was a noob at computers too when I first started learning, and still never got them.

By the way, out of curiosity, what virus protection (if any) were you using on your infested pc? $10 says it was either Norton or McAfee, the Boses of the software world....

Heh.. Never heard of anyone comparing Bose and Norton but that is so very true..

I actually use no virus software. I run Mozilla Firefox with NoScript plugin which shuts down Java and Flash, etc on websites and I allow it on select sites that I know to be safe. Not a single virus. I run to active software for viruses int eh background, as this computer is used for digital recording, which uses pretty much all my system has to give.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 38
It's fair to say that there is probably a mechanic out there who can't believe that people can't change their own brake-pads, or there's a chemist out there that makes his own headache tablets etc.

My point is that it depends what your interests are. I never get problems with trojans/virii on my PC, because once I'd become interested in PCs, I learned enough to make the correct, informed decisions. My dad? He'll forward on emails in the mistaken belief that if he sends it to enough people, something amazing will happen on his screen. He'll never learn because he doesn't care. On the other hand, he's absolutely brilliant at woodwork, and builds most things in his house to an unbelievably high standard. I couldn't build a table half as well as he could.

There's no shame in not caring about PCs, it's just that people on this forum tend to be technologically savvy enough to know the difference. It doesn't make us better or brighter than anyone who gets a virus though.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 38
Your joking me? I'm a power user, and I am often too lazy to work in an sandbox when working with risky software and sites. It is VERY easy to byacedently accept the wrong popup and get loaded with enough spyware that no software will help. It'll happen to you eventually. The best software out there is an anti virus to let you know if you got something, and Acronis True Image to re-image back to the day before you got infected
biggrin.gif

PS, you never know what an executable may be when you go to open it, so why take a risk of not having AV?

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3

I haven't had a virus either (knocks on wood) as for virus scanners, I agree that end user version of Norton sucks, but the Norton Corporate edition is actually pretty good.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 38
actually there was a study released that showed the big 3 could stop about 20% of the viruses "released" in the last 3-4 months. Its because often they're programmed to get around those. Use a little known scanner and FF and you're good.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 38
I don't get many viruses anymore, but other crap comes through cause I'm constantly downloading/saving files. My only real problem (and truly an annoying one) is a supposed "driver" issue that's been there even after I re-formatted... I'm almost sure it's a problem with the windows cd itself....

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Downloading p*rn.

this and also downloading everything they see in popups and indiscrimanetly downloading things from P2P programs. fact is, most people are complete twats when it comes to computers.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13
I haven't gotten a virus since I got my laptop. I also don't have any anti-virus either...

Then how do you know if you have one or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back