How the heck do people get viruses on PC's???
Aug 2, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #16 of 38
I use Firefox, Spywareblaster, and Spybot Search and Destroy. My system is squeaky clean.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Then how do you know if you have one or not?

My spidey senses would tingle.
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Then how do you know if you have one or not?

So true.

BTW, remember, you can get stuff like a virsu just from browsing into the wrong sites. It's not hard. I'm amazed that among head-fiers people are arguing whether or not you need AV. If you go on some good computer forums, this is debated all the time, and usually people say atleast download the free version of AVG or something.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13
My spidey senses would tingle.
wink.gif

I have that too, but my definitions are out of date. (kinda hard to find radioactive spiders nowadays...)

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I thought I was careful too. Laughed at the ignorant and careless masses that got viruii and spyware on their computers.

Until....

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128316

-Ed

Same thing happend to me a few times. Originally I also thought I didn't need AV, but boy was I wrong. Just cause I was good for so many years doesn't mean it didn't hit me later. This is exactly why you should buy acronis true image. Image back to the day before and your good to go.

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #22 of 38
IMO antivirus is useless to 90% of the population because:

they wont update it. you can try, even make it automatic and it wont get updated.

"It takes up too many recourses" and they'll shut it off

Virus coders test tehir virus' on Mcaffee and Norton before they release them

Common sense is the best anti-virus, but the noscript plugin for firefox helps a lot too, coupled with weekly spyware sweeps and nightly data backup.

I also liek to put my windows install on a 10 GB partition on the main drive and keep documents on 2nd 150 GB partition. then on a nightly basis I backup that 150GB partition to another drive. on different partiton (on the 2nd drive) I also do weekly backups of everything.

this way if a drive goes down, I lose no data. if my First drive gets corrupted and that data ruins my backup I can always revert to the previous sunday so I never lose more than a weeks data. lastly should windows "catch" somethng Its very easy to reinstally, it wont even disrupt any of my data.

with the current cost of HD's theres almost no reason to not have a setup like mine.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #23 of 38
usually people get viruses on their pc because they lack the l33t haxor skillz and unmitigated ego to post arrogant self-aggrandizing questions on the web.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #24 of 38
Since I started using Firefox and AVG Free edition, I haven't gotten any form of spyware/virii/backdoors, etc. AVG updates daily by itself -- I don't have to do anything. AVG is running on virtually no resources, I don't notice that it's running. Offcourse, most people's OEM pc's come with something along the lines of Norton, which is a resource hog so they turn it off.
I run a Adware and Spybot S&D scan each month, but they never turn up anything.
Installing Firefox, and using it anyone can do. Installing AVG Free is also something anyone can do. It's just that most don't know that they can. Also, they don't care. Their system is running fine at one point in time, so why would they add protection? They don't know the 'dangers' untill they encounter them.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
usually people get viruses on their pc because they lack the l33t haxor skillz and unmitigated ego to post arrogant self-aggrandizing questions on the web.

It's okay, I understand, you don't have to be jealous. I'll still fix your pc if you want.

Besides, as you can see, it's not very self-aggrandizing if 90% of people on this forum can keep their computer clean. It's not very hard; hence my original question.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
It's okay, I understand, you don't have to be jealous. I'll still fix your pc if you want.

Besides, as you can see, it's not very self-aggrandizing if 90% of people on this forum can keep their computer clean. It's not very hard; hence my original question.

which one? i've got 6 machines on my desk right now, and the one i built at home.

/works at microsoft
//
emoticeburn1dw0.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3

Red's got a point, the thread is pretty ... cmon, how can not know that people aren't all computer savvy, and even then, s**t still happens.

And your reply only solidifies what he's accusing you of.

EDIT: This sorta reminds of Nick the computer guy from SNL

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Red's got a point, the thread is pretty ... cmon, how can not know that people aren't all computer savvy, and even then, s**t still happens.

And your reply only solidifies what he's accusing you of.

EDIT: This sorta reminds of Nick the computer guy from SNL

I'll laugh when this guy creates his thread similiar to edwoods when some really nasty spyware/adware/viruses pop up on his rig after clicking the wrong button on an ad/popup or something and he can't remove it manually (although AV might not help in that case if it's too nasty)
wink.gif

There is a lot of stuff floating out there. If you go on the not-so-nice parts of the web, anti virus/adware/spyware is your friend. If your visiting head-fi nothing will ever get into your rig because your visiting head-fi
wink.gif

Anyway, this thread is ticking me off so I guess I should stop posting in it. Norton AV is crappy and impossible to remove, but Nod32, AVG, etc, are all rather good from my experiences.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 38
Those freebie ISPs (dial-up I believe) are AWFUL... Never use one of those. My wife was doign that for a while with MS-IE and it nearly killed that HD.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
Since I started using Firefox and AVG Free edition, I haven't gotten any form of spyware/virii/backdoors, etc. AVG updates daily by itself -- I don't have to do anything. AVG is running on virtually no resources, I don't notice that it's running. Offcourse, most people's OEM pc's come with something along the lines of Norton, which is a resource hog so they turn it off.
I run a Adware and Spybot S&D scan each month, but they never turn up anything.
Installing Firefox, and using it anyone can do. Installing AVG Free is also something anyone can do. It's just that most don't know that they can. Also, they don't care. Their system is running fine at one point in time, so why would they add protection? They don't know the 'dangers' untill they encounter them.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back