How on earth do you juggle two expensive hobbies: audio and photography?
Sep 27, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
I agree with Uncle Eric- unlike building computers where you are constantly fighting the increasing amount of data that needs processing, the audio and photography deals with a relatively static environment. You don't have any objective reasons to upgrade because audio and photo are technologically mature.

The hardest thing for me is finding time for both.

Are you still chasing the newest hardware?  Development of desktop hardware has slowed down in the the last year, for a number of reasons.  Not least of which is the fact that desktop hardware remains relevant a good bit longer than it used it.  I'm using an antiquated overclocked 165 at home.  It's not fast but, it's more than enough for ~65% of my tasks so long as I keep RAM usage down.  I'm still going to build a new one but, upgrading is hardly the temptation it once was.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #17 of 26
Now I'm chasing a decent job. But PC wise I have a P4 3GHz HT, 1.5GB and HD3850 AGP. So yeah, I am a bit keen to see what is this magic "tesselation" everyone is talking about. Heard that it makes weapon handles in Diablo 3 look rounder or something like that, hehe. The good thing is that I don't need to pay four figures for that anymore. Though I see myself putting money in the audio first.

Quote:
Are you still chasing the newest hardware?  Development of desktop hardware has slowed down in the the last year, for a number of reasons.  Not least of which is the fact that desktop hardware remains relevant a good bit longer than it used it.  I'm using an antiquated overclocked 165 at home.  It's not fast but, it's more than enough for ~65% of my tasks so long as I keep RAM usage down.  I'm still going to build a new one but, upgrading is hardly the temptation it once was.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:
It's not too hard as long as you're not constantly upgrading or collecting.

I cut myself (mostly) off audio about two years ago. I decided it was time to enjoy what I have. Some temptations have come up, but I'm happy with the setup. I do allow for new music.

I bought into photography about four years ago and haven't upgraded since. The old D70s has features beyond my skills and I'm pleased with its images. I lust for a full-frame sensor, but that will have to wait. Maybe in another year or two.

Mostly, it's becoming content with what you have. If I get bored with audio, I go find some used discs (black and silver) and that makes me happy on the cheap. Maybe $10 will get some records and CDs, then I enjoy them. With photography, I go out and find somethig new to take pictures of. That's always fun and I actually like having an old, familiar camera that is second nature to use.

That's what those huge triport cameras are! Wikipedia's got a good article on the best ones made, nothing like a GF-1
triportsad.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #19 of 26
The full-frame cameras are not that much better than a typical DSLR. It's just that you need to spend about $3,000 to get into a setup. Maybe youzmre thinking about the medium and large sized cameras?

I've long been interested in medium format, but with film. The old Hasselblads are geting cheaper and it would be fun to develop at home.

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 26
I shoot medium format as well as 35mm and APS. Just take a look at your past shots and think if you could have taken them if you had to do everything a lot slower. I like 6X6 better than 135 because I don't have to wait that long to get through a roll.

Quote:
The full-frame cameras are not that much better than a typical DSLR. It's just that you need to spend about $3,000 to get into a setup. Maybe youzmre thinking about the medium and large sized cameras?

I've long been interested in medium format, but with film. The old Hasselblads are geting cheaper and it would be fun to develop at home.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #21 of 26

Yeah, I'm no longer into gaming but, I hear that good performance can be had for a relatively small amount of money.
I'll be pushing well into the four digits for my next purchase as, I'm replacing everything.  New 4 core processor, lots of ram, SSD boot drive, etc.  The real killers though, are the storage drives and the new monitor.  I've got a new camera so, I "need" a bigger, better IPS monitor to edit those photos on, a ATI Fire card to accelerate my photo workflow and my CAD work, as well as two NAS boxes to store and back up those pictures (as well as my videos and, my music).  sigh........
I keep telling myself that this hardware will last years and so, will pay off in the end.  It's worked so far, I suppose.  ~$3000 would cover everything and with that, I wouldn't see any reason to purchase another bit of computer hardware, unless something fails.
Quote:
Now I'm chasing a decent job. But PC wise I have a P4 3GHz HT, 1.5GB and HD3850 AGP. So yeah, I am a bit keen to see what is this magic "tesselation" everyone is talking about. Heard that it makes weapon handles in Diablo 3 look rounder or something like that, hehe. The good thing is that I don't need to pay four figures for that anymore. Though I see myself putting money in the audio first. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #22 of 26
I got my photo kit settled first before getting into audio. Now I'm in the process of paring down my headphone collection so I can prepare for a new camera body next year. =) Most likely won't be coming back to audio afterwards as I'll be good with what I have for awhile. But never say never I guess. ;-p

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #23 of 26
Audio and Photography? tsk.. you guys are lucky..

Back on topic.. lap dance for the mods and admin is not a bad payday..

I also downgrade from a dslr to a Sony's NEX, yay for cheaper lenses..

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #24 of 26
I just use a nice p&s camera and keep my main focus on audio.

Hopefully, I'll be able to upgrade to a quality DSLR soon.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #25 of 26
Audio and photography yup love them both

Add:  Home theater & Horology and you could be in for some serious problems.   How to handle them budget, stay within your means, no credit card debt. Be patient and buy used.  No  impulse buying.  I had my eye on a Milgaus Limited edition Rolex.  It was far more expensive than what I normally pay for watches.  I waited a year, in that time I was constantly checking web sites for a less than retail amount.   I realized after wanting it for over a year, this was not going to be just an impulse buy.  I saved a set amount out of my paycheck and purchase it.  Glad I did!  During that time I needed to put some of the other hobbies on hold. But never put on hold funding for your retirement (no matter how young).  Do not neglect this obligation for Hobbies.  These material things will be long gone and you'll on sleeping on the sidewalk.

I really do not go out to eat much and brown bag it at work.  I can not remember the last time I had anything other than I diet coke at a bar.  In Manhattan good beers will run you about $6-8 a few beers a few times a week can add up quickly and you'll have little to show for it except maybe a beer belly.

Also invest in yourself, always continue to educate yourself this will pay off with more income down the road and more fun things. 

Be happy with what you have as there will always be something better coming down the pike.  Until something comes to market that will drastically change the playing field, HOLD OFF

Hobby sites like these should be used to research your hobby expenditure.  Get the best bang for your buck product (hopefully used) so when you are ready to trade up, or become disenchanted with that item you'll loose very little.    Example a used Rolex Explorer can be worn for a few years and might actually increase in value (depending on what kind of deal you got)

Be smart, be patient avoid the flavor of the month.  Understand that we all are capable of compulsive behavior

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #26 of 26
I guess the only problem for me is that i have shooting requirements for certain events (which i somewhat make a living from, part time at least). But you're right: sometimes save and buy a big tank is probably easier than the upgrade paths (a mistake i have made with audio gear)

Quote:
If you want to save up for a really nice camera and lens, you just have to be patient and wait for your allotted time to come until you have enough money. Thats what I did with both my camera and audio gear and to make things even more complex, I also save money for other hobbies too. 

I also believe that getting caught up with gear or being too obsessed with it is counter productive. Many musicians for example use the same gear they have had for many years and focus on their art, not the gear. I once read a funny comment from someone at one of  photography websites stating that you have these guys who talk up about all this hype of their favorite latest camera gear with some of the highest specs but in the end, they take boring crappy pictures.

Audio rigs tend to be more expensive but a nice camera rig shouldn't be that over the top. Personally, most of my best pictures were taken buy a used $80 35 mm film camera. I do plan on getting an Olympus Pen hybrid camera with a flat pancake style lens because they are smaller than the typical DSLR cameras and for traveling, they make more sense to me and a decent compromise (even though I do love those huge fat lenses). Plus those older models are getting to be cheaper and the picture quality is outstanding. 

Quote:
Audio and photography yup love them both

Add:  Home theater & Horology and you could be in for some serious problems.   How to handle them budget, stay within your means, no credit card debt. Be patient and buy used.  No  impulse buying.  I had my eye on a Milgaus Limited edition Rolex.  It was far more expensive than what I normally pay for watches.  I waited a year, in that time I was constantly checking web sites for a less than retail amount.   I realized after wanting it for over a year, this was not going to be just an impulse buy.  I saved a set amount out of my paycheck and purchase it.  Glad I did!  During that time I needed to put some of the other hobbies on hold. But never put on hold funding for your retirement (no matter how young).  Do not neglect this obligation for Hobbies.  These material things will be long gone and you'll on sleeping on the sidewalk.

I really do not go out to eat much and brown bag it at work.  I can not remember the last time I had anything other than I diet coke at a bar.  In Manhattan good beers will run you about $6-8 a few beers a few times a week can add up quickly and you'll have little to show for it except maybe a beer belly.

Also invest in yourself, always continue to educate yourself this will pay off with more income down the road and more fun things. 

Hobby sites like these should be used to research your hobby expenditure.  Get the best bang for your buck product (hopefully used) so when you are ready to trade up, or become disenchanted with that item you'll loose very little.    Example a used rolex Explorer can be worn for a few years and might actually increase in value (depending on what kind of deal you got)

Be smart, be patient avoid the flavor of the month.

Expensive stuff will be expensive. Gotta manage it i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back