How NOT to get robbed
Mar 24, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #46 of 113
Why would you want something bigger than a .45? It's not like you need antiaircraft firepower. You need something manageable.

The reason I like the .45 is my grandfather. I've shot mostly paper targets. Grandpa carried a 1911 in the Army infantry during WW II in Europe. He preferred the M1 because long guns always pack a bigger punch, but the 1911 saved him several times. He didn't talk much about combat, but said that the .45 was "like hitting someone with a barn door" and I'll take his word for it.

That's why I picked up one of Springfield's WW II 1911 recreations. I enjoy it and it's fun to experience shooting what Grandpa used. I think the biggest difference is that my new one has a stainless barrel.

Though my primary weapon is a H&K USP in .45. I like the extra capacity and the additional safeties - especially the decocking lever.

As for using a gun for self-defense, I won't do it unless absolutely necessary. Avoiding bad situations is the best defense. If not that, I rely on talking my way out of things. I am a good shot (I passed the police marksmanship tests while helping a friend who was an officer practice) but it's awfully far down on my list of ways to deal with a bad situation.

I've only pulled a gun on a living creature once. Which happened to be a possum. :)

The damned thing was scratching around for food at the back door. For whatever reason, it really sounded like someone trying to break in. So much so that it even freaked out my cat. Got the gun and the 4-cell Maglite. Threw open the door, and there was just a slightly scared looking possum. No shots fired, but I swore at the thing, which made a quick exit.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #47 of 113
you mean... "freaked out your cat(S)"

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #50 of 113
Under any and all circumstances where the intent is a robbery, brandishing a weapon escalates the situation to a much higher level, not to mention, giving the would-be robber another incentive of what to steal.  Take the hypothetical situation of a small group or even a lone robber asking for a wallet, if the "victim" is armed and pulls a weapon, this may either deter the attacker(s), or it could escalate the situation where the attacker(s) brandish another weapon and harm/kill the victim because they were threatened.  Even if the attack is deterred and the robber runs away (assuming the "victim" doesn't feel inclined to shoot the attacker in the back), the would-be robber, if armed, would now be quite upset and may be inclined to retaliate and get more than just the wallet, now they also have a new weapon to look forward to.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #51 of 113
This is of course, only in a non life-threatening situation, if the attacker is aiming to cause physical injury, a weapon for self-defense is not a bad idea.  Sure, some may say that in this case as well, a weapon will escalate the situation, but my regular response to that is a question/answer; when does a fight stop? it stops when the winner decides to finish beating (or otherwise harming) the loser.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #52 of 113

Quote:
brandishing a weapon escalates the situation to a much higher level

...until you de-escalate it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #53 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

just because you carry a guy, or shoot a gun for that matter doesnt mean you need to kill the person.  what are you going to do? well you could fire a warning shot in the air, or you could shoot for the leg, or arm, or hand or heaps of other non leathal but sure to stop someone from robbing you places. 

Warning shots and aiming to just "wing" your assailant are very bad, no good ideas. Either you shoot to stop or you don't shoot at all. Anywhere in between is a legal gray area.

Quote:
Even if the attack is deterred and the robber runs away (assuming the "victim" doesn't feel inclined to shoot the attacker in the back), the would-be robber, if armed, would now be quite upset and may be inclined to retaliate and get more than just the wallet, now they also have a new weapon to look forward to.

This situation is very unlikely. Facing someone with a gun, even if you have the drop on them, is an extremely high risk action and criminals know that. If the criminal was willing to shoot first and loot later (a very rare breed of criminal), they would have done so on the first encounter.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #54 of 113
Just to clarify since I suggested CCW a while back in this thread:

The goal is never have to fire the weapon or even take it out for that matter. Ideally the most that I would ever want to do is to flash the weapon to give the perpetrator a chance to think again. Although it may not seem like a lot, since some states allow any idiot to waive around a gun, but it certainly would make a person think twice before messing around. Other than that, firearms are meant for ranges or large plots of land.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #55 of 113
Quote:
This situation is very unlikely. Facing someone with a gun, even if you have the drop on them, is an extremely high risk action and criminals know that. If the criminal was willing to shoot first and loot later (a very rare breed of criminal), they would have done so on the first encounter.

My concern is the possibility of drawing a weapon on a would-be robber escalating the situation and aggravating the robber into wanting "revenge" for their pride and self-esteem damages.  Just considering that a person willing to commit armed robbery on an individual (instead of the impersonal armed robbery of an establishment) is likely not in the best of mental health and/or has reached a level of desperation that would push them past the line of simply robbery.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #56 of 113
I'm glad Toronto is generally safe for the most part. Downtown is pretty much busy all day/night I don't really see myself getting robbed around here.
If somebody tried to mug me I wouldn't really know what to do tbh. Would probably try to reason with him lolol, "I'll give you the cash but let me keep my wallet+cards please~"
Wallet alone would be worth more than the cash, and cards are always hassles to report stolen and get new ones. Maybe run like no tomorrow
blink.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #58 of 113

Quote:
Facing someone with a gun, even if you have the drop on them, is an extremely high risk action and criminals know that. If the criminal was willing to shoot first and loot later (a very rare breed of criminal), they would have done so on the first encounter.

This.

Quote:
My concern is the possibility of drawing a weapon on a would-be robber escalating the situation and aggravating the robber into wanting "revenge" for their pride and self-esteem damages.  Just considering that a person willing to commit armed robbery on an individual (instead of the impersonal armed robbery of an establishment) is likely not in the best of mental health and/or has reached a level of desperation that would push them past the line of simply robbery.

If I were a criminal I would be expecting people to just freak out and surrender their goods. Not many people can defend themselves these days. If someone suddenly pulled out any sort of weapon, I think I'd just give up and move on to another easy target. Why make life more difficult for yourself?

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #59 of 113
Not quite, but nearly. I've been trying to get back in shape though, so my weight is temporarily low. Dropped 10 extra pounds I had just hanging around and now trying to add some muscle now that I've got a clean slate. Unfortunately adding muscle without hardcore weightlifting seems to be a no-go as of right now, since I'm getting nowhere. Just not pushing hard enough I assume
Quote:
sounds like you're underweight, 140lbs at 6' tall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back