How much would you pay for 2 years old (Sennheiser HD650)
Sep 15, 2010 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Arlekiin

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

So I would like to scan the market abit, how much would you pay for Sennheiser HD650 headphones that are 2 years old. 
Sound wise in perfect condition but showing some wear on the headband (Standard fault with HD650's?)

I could get them for 200-240 USD Seems a little steep? 
If I ordered new ones I could get them for 311 USD

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Hello,

So I would like to scan the market abit, how much would you pay for Sennheiser HD650 headphones that are 2 years old. 
Sound wise in perfect condition but showing some wear on the headband (Standard fault with HD650's?)

I could get them for 200-240 USD Seems a little steep? 
If I ordered new ones I could get them for 311 USD

Yeah my handband has quite a few paint chips missing (not sure how old it is got it second-hand). The only bonus I can think of for buying a used pair would be the burn-in on the vise-like cups unless they remedied that recently as well.
Also if they're 2 years old they might have different drivers and therefor not sound like the new ones. One thing you might have to look into.
Can't help you with the price question though, sorry.

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 12
Depends on how long you wish to keep them and how much you like them. I intend to keep mine for quite a long time - pretty much until they fall apart - and I don't plan on reselling these, so they were worth buying brand new. I think $350 for a decade worth of good music is worth it for me.

$200 for a used, 2 year old pair sounds about right, however.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 12
Thank you Permagrin for the reply thats useful information. 

kingtz

Im not sure what I want I am upgrading from HD595's and im looking for some more bass & better soundstage/ instrument separation.
Now here's the complicated part I listen to folkrock, electronica, melodic death metal, post rock, Blues, Prog-rock, Desert-rock and some dubstep.
After some serious reading around im confused about the HD650's relationship with speed? How do they do with prog rock/metal (Tool, Ping floyd,  Jethro Tull, Monster magnet?) or can they handle InFlames?
I bet they are brilliant for blues and wood/strings but do they get muddy with speed/ish music?

So I dont want headphones to tire me out and when i moved to HD595's I was stunned with the soundstage (Pink Floyd - Southhampton docks) also I liked the airiness and as it turns out they arent considered to be airy or with great soundstage but rather quite upfront headphones from Sennheiser. I would like to get some more bass impact (just a little bit I dont want overwhelming bass but I want it to be deep and impactful - if that makes sense) im a bass-head to the level where the bass does not ruin the whole sound but rather complements the soundpicture without destroying it. So if I could find something in ~400 USD range that gives me:

-More separation
-More Bass
-More Detail

Also I am extremely curious about AKG 701 and Beyerdynamic DT880/990 but after Beyer released T1's I feel that I wont bother with DT's anymore and get T1's when I feel comfortable with the expense.  
Im thinking that AKG 701 could be brilliant phones but im afraid they might be fatiguing and lack bass? Also what is the difference between AKG 701/702?
Could my warm Morgan Jones Tube amp compensate for the lack of bass in AKG 701's?

If someone could answer few of my questions id be really happy.

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 12
Ok I have taken the step and ordered a pair of brand new HD 650's for 245 EUR which is approximately 311 USD. Time will tell if I am going to be happy or not.

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 12
Got my "NEW" HD 650's
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 12
What do you think?

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, they fit very nicely
smily_headphones1.gif
and have somewhat wider soundstage compared to HD595's also bass is way stronger they havent yet burned in so time will tell. All in all I would think they are about 20% improvement over HD595's Everything is just slightly better.

My rig: PC-SPDIF-->Marantz PM 70-->Morgan Jones HP amp --> HD650's

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 12
USD 100, maximum.
At that price I could make a decent amount of pocket money reselling them. Dislike them with a passion - so buying to keep is not even on my mind.

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 12
Oh you do dislike them? What Do you like then? 
I myself am not sure yet...I mean i dont want to shoot myself into my own leg here but it seems I like HD595's abit more but I do not like grado sound....what I would like compared to HD650's is abit snappier/quicker sound keep the huge soundstage and introduce strong bass/satisfying not a basshead but I do like my bass strongish. HD595's dont have the largest soundstage but they were more lively compared to HD650's imho but time will tell...

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 12
The reason im asking is, its very possible that I dont like them either so im looking for a next pair but im not sure i want to go through gazillion of phones or is it enough just to buy wooaudio 007 Stax bundle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back