How much to tip?
Jun 29, 2008 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

Listen2this1

100+ Head-Fier
I typically tip my waitress/waiters 15-22 percent, bartenders about 1 dollar a drink or so, but I was at a Mexican restaurant with my wife and there was a Mariachi band. They asked me if I wanted to have them play a song and I said sure. The problem was when they were finished I did not know how much to tip. I gave them 2 dollars, I hope that I hope that was good.

What do you think. Do you think that tipping is getting out of control? It seems that you need to tip for everything.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 81
There are actually a couple (somewhat heated) threads on tipping in the lounge. Fear them.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 81
Sorry about bringing up a previously heated topic. There seems to be alot of those lately. We can ignore this one instead of starting a bad one again.

Tpc41 that is one of my favorite movies. Great link. That is where youtube is great.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Listen2this1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem was when they were finished I did not know how much to tip. I gave them 2 dollars, I hope that I hope that was good.

For those Mexicans, 2 dollars is plenty! I always take care of my Mexican friends at my local Mexican restaurant and make sure that I leave a good tip. Many times I leave a good $5 tip even for a cheap meal.

This topic of tipping is interesting. Here in America, I believe in tipping well. However, I don't like the system. I think it is not good. When I was in Paris this past March, I noticed that tipping large amounts of money is not part of the culture but you still get excellent service and the food is much much better than in America. (America really needs to improve their food quality and it does not even compare to Europe, Asia and Mexico in it's food quality)

To me, the American tipping system is flawed. It's stupid and I believe it should be like how it is in Paris. You pay for what you see on the menu and you leave a simple Euro tip for good service. It's much easier and makes better sense.

That being said, take care of your waiters in America and leave them a good tip anyway.

chewie0ol.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 81
My tipping varies a lot!
If the service and food are great, then 10-15%. But if either of them are lacking or fail, then I reduce tipping quite rapidly. They need to earn it...
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those Mexicans, 2 dollars is plenty! I always take care of my Mexican friends at my local Mexican restaurant and make sure that I leave a good tip. Many times I leave a good $5 tip even for a cheap meal.

This topic of tipping is interesting. Here in America, I believe in tipping well. However, I don't like the system. I think it is not good. When I was in Paris this past March, I noticed that tipping large amounts of money is not part of the culture but you still get excellent service and the food is much much better than in America. (America really needs to improve their food quality and it does not even compare to Europe, Asia and Mexico in it's food quality)

To me, the American tipping system is flawed. It's stupid and I believe it should be like how it is in Paris. You pay for what you see on the menu and you leave a simple Euro tip for good service. It's much easier and makes better sense.

That being said, take care of your waiters in America and leave them a good tip anyway.

chewie0ol.gif

in france, waiters are paid well. in america, waiters are paid **** but are expected to make money through tips. In france, their system allows a waiter wwho can be natural when speaking to you, and will not try to rush your meal at all or quickly add on anything unless requested. this is because they are getting paid the money. you aren't the deciding factor in their pay. in america, the system makes waitresses have an almost annoying facade of perkiness. They are always fast to get the stuff out. They either want you gone fast or to get a dessert or something to tack on the bill for a bigger tip.

france wins.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in france, waiters are paid well. in america, waiters are paid **** but are expected to make money through tips. In france, their system allows a waiter wwho can be natural when speaking to you, and will not try to rush your meal at all or quickly add on anything unless requested. this is because they are getting paid the money. you aren't the deciding factor in their pay. in america, the system makes waitresses have an almost annoying facade of perkiness. They are always fast to get the stuff out. They either want you gone fast or to get a dessert or something to tack on the bill for a bigger tip.

france wins.

Hmm servers in korea get paid almost nothing (except for high-end places) and they receive zero tip. Food has to come within 10 minutes or customers leave. Horrible job it is in korea
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #13 of 81
Depends on the service. If they're polite and friendly and the food is good I tip decently (nothing like 15-20%, that's just really a lot) and if they are rude they get nothing. You have to earn a (good) tip.
I was in Berlin last week and we ate somewhere and when we got the bill it actually said "Tip NOT included"....I lolled and wrote something back on the bill like, such a shame. I did tip though but I never came across something like that.

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #14 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if they deserve it, up to 18%.
if not, 10% max

Exactly my same calculations for many years. But now that times are tough, I'm hitting 10 percent alot more often.

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 81
I don't have much opportunity (or salary) around here to frequent upscale restaurants, so most of my bills are small enough that 20% isn't much. I never leave less than $2. One of my girlfriends worked in a restaurant for years, so I've seen first-hand how many people leave $0--gotta have some sympathy for the servers when that happens. If service is especially good, I'll tip over 20%, but given the current state of the average American waiter/waitress, that hasn't happened too often.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back