How much to tip?
Jun 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #76 of 81
I generally pay 15-20% for a sit-down restauraunt - depending on lots of variables of course, service, how annoying my friends were to the waiter, etc.

I know how it feels to get sucky tips, so I try to tip well.

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #77 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kwkarth, successful businessman?

Yes, and no. Why?

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #78 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the thing. Many people are trapped in minimum (or worse) wage jobs, and have no clear way of getting out of the spiral. Employers subjugate and dominate those people, making them to feel that they're unworthy of more. Sometimes it may be true (there's always a bad apple in every barrel) but in many cases, if you treat people better, they'll not only perform better and be worthy of a higher wage, but they'll become loyal too, because you're treating them as a fellow employee and not trying to subjugate them.

Unfortunately, this concept is lost on too many people. Their greed blinds them.

Or their self-centered-ness.

Over 25 years ago I was on that same spiral--in minimal wage land. I'll never forget it.

But what you describe isn't limited to the bottom-rung workers--not by a long shot.
frown.gif

I once read (can't recall author) that it is much harder to leave a real bad job than a good one. For the very reasons you cite.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #79 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and no. Why?

The arguments you made just seemed like they came from experience rather than thought.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #80 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The arguments you made just seemed like they came from experience rather than thought.

Yes, I believe they do. I have experienced better productivity and overall bottom line success by treating people right and properly valuing and respecting their skills and abilities than by any other form of "management."

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #81 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or their self-centered-ness.

Over 25 years ago I was on that same spiral--in minimal wage land. I'll never forget it.

But what you describe isn't limited to the bottom-rung workers--not by a long shot.
frown.gif

I once read (can't recall author) that it is much harder to leave a real bad job than a good one. For the very reasons you cite.

I believe you are correct, at least that is my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back