How much should I bid...
Sep 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

noparanoia

Head-Fier
Chasing a 5 year old (decent-ish condition) pair of HD650s which have light use (around 800 hrs aprtly.) I like the sound sig of these oldies.
But how much is a pair this old actually worth? With 1hr left they seem awfully pricey for their age.

Thanks

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 11
I would say not a dime over $200, and even that is out of my comfort range for 5-year old cans.  Considering you can get them $420 new these days, approaching half of that value for old cans is a stretch, if you ask me.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 11
Some nutters have bid them up to £120 ($185). I hate the idea of buying new Senns. I already have a (broken) pair, I doubt I will like the new ones any more than the old ones, if they are any different I will like them less. I resent having to spend a load of money to replace something I already have. (I know everything I just said made no logical sense)
Can anyone suggest a good pair of phones to replace a HD650 with? You know just to take the sting out of having to fork out £200+ for something I shouldn't have to replace in the first place.

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 11
I love classical, have always found it suprisingly underwhelming on my headphones, prehaps playing in an orchestra has spoilt it a little for me. I am a lover of warm sound, I hate even the slightest feeling of "sharpness", completely spoils my listening experience and sense of emersion. The way I perceive "sharp" sounds in real life seems very different to the way they sound squirted into my ears from a driver an inch away, so they seem to stick out like a sore thumb, thus I just avoid. Dark and laid back is the way for me.
My taste for popular music is oddly specific. Bands I like include old krautrock bands (Can, Faust, Neu etc) Portishead, Radiohead, Wilco. Oh and The Fall. Tom Waits.
A few strange and heinous ommisions in the Classic Rock and Prog Rock genres which I barely listen to at all for some reason.
confused_face_2.gif
All in all not much guitar music so the headphone doesnt have to be great for "rocking out", at least not rocking out to actual rock

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm sure the drivers are fine, but other parts, such as the band and ear pads, do not last very long.  You have to factor in the depreciation of those because if you own the cans long enough, you will have to service those parts while the drivers may last for decades.

Quote:
If they sound the same( or better if burned in) and they don't look bad. . . Then why would 5 year old cans not be worth as much?

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 11
The only thing that worries me about 5 year old cans is the fact of buying something second had off ebay. As opposed to new from a dealer, where you get returns and a warranty. Oh well they went while I was busy chatting anyway
tongue.gif
What a massive waste of time...
So based on my rushed and slapdash comments; any suggestions ?

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
I'm sure the drivers are fine, but other parts, such as the band and ear pads, do not last very long.  You have to factor in the depreciation of those because if you own the cans long enough, you will have to service those parts while the drivers may last for decades.

But that's just matainence. I mean I wouldn't complain if I was getting 35 year old AKG's or Stax headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back