How much of a realistic improvment from soundcard to Dac/Amp?
May 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Zoltan99

Head-Fier
I know I have been told a few times that a Amp/Dac combo like the Audio-gd Fun will give me great results.  But just how much better is it compared to a standard soundcard or something like the $50-$100 range soundcards.  I know its hard to be objective, but id like some scale of what to expect.  As an example, if on a scale of 0-10, we set the soundcard at 1 of possible sound quality.  What will a Dac/Amp in general be?  Will I move to a 2,4,6?  Just want some idea on how much better it is.

May 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 73
Well if you have a decent DAC (soundcard) already, then adding a good amp would be better than buying another DAC. But say going from an unmodded X-Fi music to the FUN will sound much better, probably 2x-3x (that's really subjective though.) With a good pair drivers you'll notice substantial improvement.

May 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 73
It should be a huge improvement in clarity and bass.  Its like of like looking out side through a screen door, and then just opening the door.  Yes everything is the same, but now you can see/hear all the little things, and the amp wont run out of gas with authoritative bass.

The main upgrade will be the fact the amp (if the sound card even has one) will have a + - voltage supply so it will go directly from the amp chip to your cans.  With the PC sound card most are cap coupled on the outputs to make it work with everything, and shorting it out wont blow up the card.

May 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 73

Quote:
Well if you have a decent DAC (soundcard) already, then adding a good amp would be better than buying another DAC. But say going from an unmodded X-Fi music to the FUN will sound much better, probably 2x-3x (that's really subjective though.) With a good pair drivers you'll notice substantial improvement.

I only have ATH-A700's.  Are these good enough to notice a difference?

May 10, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 73
Jun 3, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 73
Hi guys, So I got the Fun Basic.  I was really excited to get it and all.  After a day of comparing back and forth on lossless flac rips, I honestly don't see much improvement over my motherboard's on-board Realtek HD sound card.  The only noticed a difference in downloaded TV shows, where the actors voices sounded much cleaner and real life like.   I have gone back and forth on the music, doing blind trials and I can never tell the two apart.  I am connecting the FUN through my onboard toslink out via included cable or with the included USB cable.  I am not trolling here, it may seem Like I am, but I am not.  I have a general interest in this.

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 73
Quote:
Hi guys, So I got the Fun Basic.  I was really excited to get it and all.  After a day of comparing back and forth on lossless flac rips, I honestly don't see much improvement over my motherboard's on-board Realtek HD sound card.  The only noticed a difference in downloaded TV shows, where the actors voices sounded much cleaner and real life like.   I have gone back and forth on the music, doing blind trials and I can never tell the two apart.  I am connecting the FUN through my onboard toslink out via included cable or with the included USB cable.  I am not trolling here, it may seem Like I am, but I am not.  I have a general interest in this.

Interesting.  I just want to confirm something real quick.  This would be the 'optimal' FUN routing.

Toslink --> FUN --> Headphone jack on the FUN.

And what are you using to output music?  If you're on Vista/Win7, try Foobar2000 with the WASAPI plugin set to your onboard SPDIF output.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 73

Quote:
Interesting.  I just want to confirm something real quick.  This would be the 'optimal' FUN routing.

Toslink --> FUN --> Headphone jack on the FUN.

And what are you using to output music?  If you're on Vista/Win7, try Foobar2000 with the WASAPI plugin set to your onboard SPDIF output.

Yes, I am running it via the toslink out from my motherboard, into the Fun and listening via the headphone jack on the front.   I am using Linux, and outputting the music via various applications like rythmbox or vlc.  I set the spdif out in my sound preferences, I choose "Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output".

I'm not saying it sounds bad, there is just little realistic improvement that I notice compared to my onboard.  I remember when my brother got the Ibasso D2 boa, we tested it vs an iPod and the computer and we were really able to hear parts of the songs that weren't there before.  I though this would be like that.  maybe the Realtek onboard is just that good?

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 73
Realteks are pretty good, but it still should be a noticeable improvement.  That said, it might be something to do with the audio engine.  Maybe asking in the Linux for Sound topic, in this forum, for tips on bitperfect players?  If you don't notice a significant difference, you CAN return the unit in 30 days, just pay shipping.  (If it came from Audio-GD/a dealer)

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 73

Quote:

How much time have you given the device to burn in?  It will also take you a little while to get used to the new signature.

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 73

Quote:
How much time have you given the device to burn in?  It will also take you a little while to get used to the new signature.

Well I didnt burn it in all to much.  According to the audio-gd site they come pre burned in with over 100 hrs of burn in.  It would take me a very long time to reach 100 hrs.

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 73
Just checking.  Many times it takes a person awhile to get used to a new signature...  If you just do a quick listen you will not hear the differences right off the bat it takes awhile for some.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 73
Jun 3, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 73
Realteks are pretty good

This made my day..."those who know don't speak, and those who speak don't know"
biggrin.gif

Realtek RMAA: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tuy3myzu1my/%5BMME%5D%20Realtek%20ALC888.zip

a proper external DAC on a DPS: http://www.firestone.idv.tw/rmaa/spitfire.htm

so how many hours of total burn in should I do prior to juding the unit.

a year or two? Audio-GD is way overhyped on head-fi...you've just learned it the hard way, don't believe everything you read next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back