How much "obsolete" technology do you use?
Nov 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #61 of 104
DE razor + all associated accoutrement
Vinyl records
Fountain Pen + parchment paper
Books
Mechanical Watch (Not a good one, but still)

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #62 of 104
Quote:

Automatic transmissions have greatly improved in the last few decades and now provide more than adequate performance, efficiency, and reliability for the vast majority of drivers.

It's true that it's "good enough" but there really is a huge degree of control missing in an auto. I've driven the whiz-bang 7 speed autos and you still feel that bit of lag between flooring it and actually getting acceleration. Heck, I've driven a late model 5 speed in good working order where you could almost count to 5 before the dang thing downshifted.

Granted, a dual-clutch floppy paddle setup will be the fastest, but nothing beats the feeling of a perfect heel-toe.

Quote:

And given the ropey, low throw, imprecise manual transmissions with vague clutches offered these days, most drivers aren't missing much.

You just aren't driving the right cars.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #63 of 104
Technically, everything we buy is obsolete. There's always new versions coming out constantly. You can never really be up-to-date. It's the truth and it makes me feel better. lol But not everything new is always better than the old.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #64 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true that it's "good enough" but there really is a huge degree of control missing in an auto.

Which may matter at 8/10ths and beyond driving, but few people are capable of driving at those levels and even fewer have a need to do so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just aren't driving the right cars.

Most people don't drive the types of cars that have good manual transmissions. Never seen a decent stick in an SUV and most mainstream sedans have indifferent shifter feel at best.

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #67 of 104
Well, I still use a CRT TV - mine you, I think it still looks better than a cheap smallish (22-24") LCD TV (especially the budget ones). Have no intention of replacing it till it breaks.

I also have a full hifi size MD deck and 2 portable MD players lying around.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #68 of 104
You definiatly get more allergic to change with age. When you are young and world champion you just dive right in... I remember when I was wishing for my computers to crack down so I could by new gear... Now I am scared to life any of my gear will break so I will have to redo my water cooling loop from scratch and I don´t enjoy tweaking as much either lol.

And I feel less and less need to have the latest and greatest in other areas too. Sign of maturity I would say new toys don´t make you happy.

Though some new things are just not better. What is fun with automatic gear boxes? I never understood why those exist? Sure for big buses and lorries and such which are more cumbersome to drive it´s nice to have but not for cars. And particularly not for sport cars.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #69 of 104
My wife and I took a drive in the country yesterday, and had a pleasant evening in Lawrence Kansas. Took in a garage sale and I passed on some Onkyo/Mitsubishi/JBL/Emerson(tube) gear. If you are ever near that town, check it out, esp. Keif's (an audio salon).

Anyway, we were cruising down K-10, and I was checking my speed with the GPS, the Honda's own speedometer being nowhere near accurate. I thought back to a much older Honda Accord, so old there were still waiting lists, and one of my friends told me, "I hate you!" when she found out I had a new one. I took a trip out west in it and checked my speed with a stopwatch and a railroad time/speed chart - milepost to milepost. Old technology, but I think the older Honda had a better calibrated speedometer.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #70 of 104
please spend 10 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic, then tell me how much you like a stick!!!!!!

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #71 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please spend 10 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic, then tell me how much you like a stick!!!!!!

I spend about half an hour a day, twice a day, in stop and go driving for a drive that should take 5 minutes. Not exactly fun with a stick, but livable.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #73 of 104
Well you can argue that film photography is obsolete as well. Digital is nice, but I still like to develop film photos. You can do so much more with film than digital. And you can still scan film photos if needed.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #75 of 104
Well you got a point too. Both are considered art.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back