How much "obsolete" technology do you use?
Oct 11, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #16 of 104
I don't know if I say obsolete, but I definitely seem to favor older things, which often seem to made well, VS poorly constructed items flooding todays market.

I do drive a stick, grind my own coffee, wear a perpetual watch, still play vinyl (but also CD and streaming), use mostly older tools- but not exclusively, enjoy vacuum tubes. I own a GPS, but can and do navigate by compass bearings. Still like Loran, too.

I used to shave with a straight razor and soap, but my skin really does better with a good electric. The Braun seems to work very well for the past four years now.

Most new technology is fascinating, but it also seems that some things are developed simply because they can be, not neccessarily to fill any need. I'm not into glut, for sure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of things today seem to sacrifice quality to be cheap and easy all too often.

Amen! Sometimes you can't find a given item that is reasonably well made at ANY price point. Sad.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #19 of 104
41QF8N8PVKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I use one of these every morning making pancakes/waffles. Gets the egg whites nice and frothy and from setup to washing takes about half time of the electric equivalent.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #20 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at recent web reviews of a recently released album that I'm fond of--in part because it refers to a nostalgic musical genre, but more because the writer is someone who clearly knows how to read lyrics, and this attention to craft is evident in his song writing. I was stunned by the number of web-reviews in which the reviewers shallowly paid attention to the most superficial aspects of the songs and failed to recognize that the writing's thrust was completely opposite to what they proposed. It was just that they heard groovy summer music, and that's what they figured the bothersome lyrics were about.

Fruit Bats?
wink.gif

Super stuff, but don't get upset about the lyrics not getting the attention it deserves. After all, pop music isn't exactly flooded with well written lyrics. Even within jazz the concept of music being poetic is rather distant.

Humm, obsolete technologies I employ…
I've got these shiny plastic discs, about ten centimetres in diameter, they're called CDs. I put them in this tray on a dedicated device, close it and press play. Almost ceremonial.

Then I've got these thin sheets of cellulose covered in various letters and images that appear in my mailbox every day.

If I want to make a fire (fire, or flame, is the visual result of a material oxidizing rapidly, usually emitting both visual light and heat), I use these small sticks made of wood, packaged in small carton boxes. One tip is covered with a potassium chlorate mixture, and when struck against a phosphorous surface the friction will make the two components react violently, igniting the little stick. The little flame can then be used to ignite f.ex. a candle, producing a cosy atmosphere.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #21 of 104
-I own a complete set of working older Nintendo home consoles, minus the Gamecube as that was given away since my new Wii could run GC games. (Also, original designs only, not re-releases like that funky white and red NES.)
-I have a largeish record collection, mostly stuff inherited from my father.
-To make use of said record collection, I have a Technics SL220 turntable.
-I... still buy CDs and DVDs? Are they obsolete yet? At least in both cases I have the good sense to rip 'em to my hard drive first thing.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #22 of 104
Quote:

drive around in a car I shift myself

I would disagree that manual transmissions are obsolete technology. As far as I'm concerned, autotragics were a huge step backwards.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #23 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got to thinking about this the other day. I get up, shave with a 50 year old DE razor, strap a mechanical watch to my wrist, put a fountain pen in my pocket, drive around in a car I shift myself, then come back to play with my vacuum tubes and black discs. I try to cook as much as possible over an open fire and have an assortment of old handtools for woodwork. Heck, I'd probably still be using Mac System 6.0.8 if it had a TCP/IP stack.

Am I simply getting reactionary in my old (
wink.gif
) age, or do you think there are legitimate reasons for hangin' with the old and allegedly outdated? I know there are at least a few others here who swear by these things, so thoughts and impressions would be much appreciated. Is it just an affectation to insist on having a clutch or a pen you can refill from a bottle? Or are these things still practical and sensible given the alternatives?

Still use my tape deck in my 10 yr old truck playing, 22 yr old rap mix tapes.. My headphones are all 'obsolete', My k280 from the 80's, Technic 810 from the 70's..DT48s from the 50's.. DT48e 8ohm from the 70's/80's.. My 6 yr old Denon 5900.. 10 yr old BC DAC 2... Vintage is best!!
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #24 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would disagree that manual transmissions are obsolete technology. As far as I'm concerned, autotragics were a huge step backwards.

Hogwash. I'm not a coolio drifter, and I don't hoof-and-mouth the pedals on my way to Best Buy, or is it Heel-and-toe. Give me my auto or give me death!

I miss my Motorola StarTAC with the fat battery.

Photographic Silver prints are better and glass lenses in sunglasses kick plastics' ass.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 104
I play drums - the kind with wooden shells and thin resonant membranes stretched across them, that make sweet music when struck with - get this - sticks made of wood.

I also grind my coffee by hand, brew it in a French press, and listen to vinyl. The house into which I will soon be moving will be heated almost exclusively by two wood stoves, and the tractors and other farm equipment I will be inheriting from my retiring parents are all well beyond obsolete. One of the tractors' engine is single-cylinder.

Oh, and my soon-to-be-moved-into house will have composting toilets, rather than the flushing kind that have gotten poopular in recent decades.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #26 of 104
DE Razor w/ whisk brush for shaving foam when I visit India
Vinyl turntable w/ records for listening at home
Fountain Pens
Mechanical Pocket Watch that I rotate into use every so often

Mechanical Pencils are still very common but I do frequently use the one my Dad first bought back in the late 70's.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #27 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fruit Bats?
wink.gif

Super stuff, but don't get upset about the lyrics not getting the attention it deserves. After all, pop music isn't exactly flooded with well written lyrics. Even within jazz the concept of music being poetic is rather distant.

You got me, Doc! Even so, well spotted, and comment well-taken.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #28 of 104
Back in couple years ago, when my kid brother said I am so old style, I was surprised and asked why.

Cassette player. AM radio, VCR. CRT TV, corded telephone. What the hell is this glowing glass bulb thingy? You still got cloth from your high school. You still drive that junk. Your slow cooker and fridge is 20 years old. Your place looks like antique shop and gosh, 40GB HDD with 7 year old computer. The thing even works? Just look arround and buy something.

I got his point, and yes, he is right but I am not going to throw them away as long as they work. LOL.

I always feel like he is living beyound his means to show off how well he does. I don't see why he needs such expensive cars and stuffs. I wonder he is stil doing ok like that.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 104
Lets see ...

1. Mechanical watch (early 70's) - Check
2. Fountain Pen (early 50's) - Check
3. Old Car (70 Beetle) - Check
4. Old Speakers (DCM Time Window 1A) - Check
5. Old Amp (1986 Adcom GFA555) - Check

I say I am doing rather well.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back