How much "obsolete" technology do you use?
Dec 20, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #91 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SiBurning: Nice post and collection...How did you find out about computers and the internet?

I screwed up!

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #92 of 104
Who says vinyl is obsolete? If done right, it still sounds better than digital to me. While there might be occasional pops and clicks if the record is dusty, nothing else gets my foot tapping quite as well. There is something special about analog sound.

It's like comparing a vintage Jaguar E-type to a 2010 to a Subaru WRX STI. Sure, the Subaru will run circles around the Jag, and the Jag might be fussier, but the Jag has a special je ne sais quoi that the Subaru could never dream of... plus it makes for a more tasteful entrance.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #94 of 104
Quote:

je ne sais guoi...I googled that and my computer crashed. Is that a virus or obsolete technology?

You need a French-to-English dictionary, again an obsolete technology.

Try this: get on Google, key in "French Military Victories," and punch "I'm Feeling Lucky." It's quite amusing...

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #97 of 104
Quote:

Lazarus Short: I searched as you suggested... LMAO!!!!!!!!!

+1

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #98 of 104
I roll my own cigarettes, play lots of vinyl, trim my beard with scissors+comb, use a zippo lighter 95% of the time, and most of my fishing tackle is vintage, and i own too many old consoles that i play on a tube television.

I didn't realize i used so much obsolete stuff.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #99 of 104
Still have a fatass CRT TV in my living room. 10 years now. Don't watch TV or maybe an hour per year if I do so I think I'm gonna keep it for another 10 years.
beyersmile.png

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #100 of 104
Quote:

Try this: get on Google, key in "French Military Victories," and punch "I'm Feeling Lucky." It's quite amusing...

I argue that they played the game better than all us. Why win military victories yourself when others will win them on your behalf?

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #102 of 104
Taking a look around my room, I can only spot one object that is over 10 years over. I received my wallet when I was 15 (I'm 27 now).

Err, scratch that, the hoodie I am wearing is 11 years old. I'm a concert junkie (well over 500 in the past 10 years). This hoodie has been to over 15 music festivals, and many single concerts. My friends tease me about it is too big, and full of holes. The most recent one is from seeing the Phish reunion tour in Hampton (you know you are a fan when someone offers you $700 cash for your ticket and you tell them to piss off).

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #103 of 104
We use old wooden chairs in our kitchen that are falling apart.

Think about all that delicious new chair technology that's available yet we don't spring for it! Last summer I was using a hand-me-down IBM laptop from the 90s for basic web-browsing and so on while in the basement... It was one of the first laptops with a CD-ROM drive!

Other than that stuff, I can't think of anything that is actually old and "obsolete"... I mean, I have lots of stuff that is old, like some old speakers and receivers, but they work perfectly fine and sound great! Actually the perfectly fine bit is a stretch...

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #104 of 104
I wear mechanical wrist watches exclusively. I guess they are pretty obselete in terms of timekeeping technology, but I just appreciate them for what they are and what goes into them.

In terms of old stuff I still use, my latest violin is 240 years old this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back