How much has your musical taste changed?
Dec 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

sithompson

100+ Head-Fier
Twenty years ago I lived and breathed Iron Maiden. They were the only band in the world as far as I was concerned. Them and Mega Death, and Helloween and Anthrax (I was there, a long with several thousand others, when they recorded some of the live tracks for Attack of the Killer 'B's).

Then I went to the cinema to see Tank Girl. Loved this film and bought the sound track. And then I found Verruca Salt and more importantly, Belly. Then Hole, Kritian Hersh, Throwing Muses and my love of female vocals took over. After many many albums this matured into the likes of Tanya Donelly (very different from her time at Belly and Throwing Muses) and Liz Phair and more and more listening found me the delights of Michelle Branch, Courtney Jaye, The Wreckers (ok that's more Michelle Branch), Nerina Pallot and Leona Naess to name but just a few. There have been a few dogs along the way but what a journey it's been - such a reversal in music.

Here's to the next 20 years of music
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 34
Originally, when i was younger i had little to no tastes in music, but once i learned the nam to a couple of some of my favored songs at the time, it sparked something that took very little to time to become an obsession that will probably last the rest of my life. It started with general all music, then became rap/hiphop, which then transformed into general rock and metal thanks to my dad, and a friend of my mothers. Which of course lead me to buy a 1gb generic mp3 player, then lead me to buy my Creative Zen Vplus, my 80gb Zune, and now my desire to get a nice headphone amp with a decent pair of 'phones.

My music collection soon also began to encompass classical, thanks to my love for history, jazz, blues, thanks to a guitar teacher I had who is amazing at what he does and who has actually been a big influence on all my music tastes, country, thanks to who my parents and grand parents are, techno, and small amounts of rap/hip hop.

Thanks to the amount of music I like to listen to my collection grew from 2 songs to 346, to 658, back when i had my Zen, to 6,572, and finally 10,645 when i got my Zune. My tastes are still growing, though much slower. All the same, I'm extremely glad my music tastes have become what they are, they've changed my perspective on life, and how i react. So yes, to the next 20 years of music.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 34
young me: AC/DC and Led Zeppelin

new me: Magma, Madvillain, and maudlin of the Well

I'd say my music taste has changed quite a bit
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 34
I was brought up playing the piano and listening to classical. Then I was sent to boarding school where my tastes switched to Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio, Ozzy Osbourne, B. Sabbath, and other heavy metal bands back then. In fact the first concert I went to was Maiden after they came out with Powerslave. In my college undergraduate and graduate years I mostly devoured jazz and R&B. Now it's full circle back to classical.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 34
Hi guys, 2nd post on Head-fi!

My musical tastes have definitely changed over the years. In my very early teens I had a brief flirtation with rock and listened to a lot of Led Zeppelin. Then I heard Force Majeure by Tangerine Dream. This was a life changing moment for me; I stopped listening to guitar oriented music and became fascinated by all things electronic.

During the latter half of the 80's I was turned onto dance music and began clubbing in '88. For a while I listened to nothing else except Acid and Italo house. I began producing dance music professionally in '91 and had a few big tracks on the club scene. During the same year I was blown away with the early trance sound pioneered by the likes of Dance 2 Trance, Jam & Spoon and Sven Vath's EyeQ label. However I soon got bored of the fast bpm's and after a year or so I was listening to more progressive house than anything else.

In '95 I was becoming disillusioned with the direction progressive house was going and found myself enjoying more deep house. By the end of the 90's I had discovered the internet and the wealth of information on various music forums. I became aware of so much amazing music from the pre-techno and house era and began listening to a lot of late 70's/early 80's stuff that I had missed whilst growing up. To be honest, during the past 10 years I've not listened to much new music!

So, now I'm 40 and I find my tastes have mellowed a lot. I can still appreciate some club music but I hate listening to the same 4/4 beat all night. The DJ's I enjoy listening to are the ones who really mix up the styles and tempos in their sets and don't necessarily beat mix every track.

The artists I favour these days are the ones who mix electronics with real instruments and actually play rather than just programme. To give you an idea of where my head's been at this year here are two of my favourite albums from 2009 Le Suivant and Desire Lines.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 34
I used to have no music taste, now I listen to mostly music from 1968-2002 for the most part and some select indie bands. Quite a lot of my collection is Punk and bits and pieces of other genres , Over the last six months I've gotten into Two-tone ska because of the specials and other bands of that era.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 34
As a kid growing up with my grandfather, who was a Mexican college professor, I learned to love both Classical Music and traditional Mexican stuff like Mariachi, Ranchera, Corridos, Trios and all that good stuff. And Nintedo games like "Megaman" and "Mario Bros." got me hooked on that style of MIDI-sounding early videogame music.

Then in my early teens, moved to the U.S. and thanks to the Great Mid-90's Riverdance Scare I was obsessed with Celtic stuff like The Chieftains, Altan, Eileen Ivers, Tannahill Weavers, etc, while still liking Classical very much.

Later, between 14-19 I pretty much discarded everything but classical. Mostly Beethoven and Mahler, and a lot of modernist stuff.

then, at 19 came the magical day when I first heard The Beatles' "Help" and finally took popular music seriously (I blame the radio, and stupid high-schoolers who thought Linkin Park and Korn, and Jay-Z etc were the s**t, for turning me off before). During this time I investigated Rock with the zeal of a true scholar and came to love: The Beatles, Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Blur, Switchfoot, Modest Mouse, Coldplay, Led Zep, Metallica, R.E.M., The Smiths, a lot of Punk and Hardcore, Alternative, and a lot of other classic rock and Metal.

Sadly, my Classical tastes were neglected for a long time in my mad encyclopedic rush to hear all the 'great' rock albums ever made.

Now, for the past year (I'm 23) I've gotten back into Classical in an attempt to make up for lost time. I still love and listen regularly to the named bands above; while the punk, harcore, classic rock and metal have mostly faded into the past. On the way I've added to my favorites list: Sigur Ros, Belle & Sebastian, Pixies, Bob Dylan, Pavement, Slint, The Zombies, Arcade fire, Fleet foxes, Fugazi, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sleater-Kinney, Talking Heads, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Zappa, Elliott Smith, Sonic Youth, and a few more.

It's been a couple music-filled decades, no?

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 34
As a teenager I listened mainly to Queen, Pink Floyd and Supertramp
confused_face.gif
, later on I liked Clapton, AC/DC, Guns&Roses, Metalica, John Lee Hooker, Rage Against the Machine etc.
There was always the sound of my father's Jazz records which did not do much for me at the time

Around my 30's I developed a taste for Jazz which started with Miles Davis' My Funny Valentine album, which blew me away.. Martha Argerich brought me on the path of classical with Liszt's sonata in Bminor.. A whole new world opened up to me when I heard Shostakovich 2nd piano trio

Since then I'm still searching for Jazz and Classical revalations and I have a feeling I will always stick to this 2 genres, but you never know
regular_smile .gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 34
How much has my musical taste changed?

Hmmm.

Some would say I didn't have taste to begin with...and still don't!
eek.gif

Seriously, though, I've found I buy more of my artists I like, including a number of those from 20+ years ago - Judie Tzuke, Toto, Mary Chapin Carpenter, many others - and I end up getting to a point where an artist from that time is just not producing the quality new works for me anymore or, quite simply, they stop recording to choose another life path (God I miss Beverley Craven at times).

In other aspects I've explored like crazy (well as much 'like crazy' as my limited budget will allow me to). I listen to recommendations from friends and family (and here). I try some out and learn more about what I don't like and I try some out and suddenly have another artist whose back catalogue I collect and who join the aforementioned as artists whose albums I continue to get as they are released - Diana Krall, Porcupine Tree, Evanescence, Tarja Turunen, Sarah Blasko, the list goes on...

Some aspects of my taste stay the same - still don't like opera and twang diehard C&W. Some aspects of my taste change a bit - I find artists in some genres don't offer enough variety for me from what I've already heard over the last two decades.

But I'm always listening, always exploring - plus enjoying revisiting my already preferred favourite tracks. Quite often nowadadys I only find one or two tracks on an album that I really like whilst the albums that become my favourites have a number more tacks that engage me: it's quite rare for any album to captivate me with every track, either initially or, particularly, long term.

And I guess I think more about why I like particular tracks/music. Sometimes it's sentimentality and regular listening in my formative younger years - the same reason the soundtracks for TV series like 'Ashes To Ashes' appeal to my generation. If Supertramp's "Take The Long Way Home" comes on, I'm there: whether it's psychologically pulling forward memories of simpler, more carefree days or not, tracks from my high school years are in my psyche, whether they were the best recorded at the time or not.

But more often nowadays I'm liking the artistry involved in the recording - the artistry of the musicians and the engineers and producers to bring that musical experience to me in so much craftilly replicated detail. This applies regardless of the age of the tracks and in some respects applies more to older, more open recordings than those suffering from being recorded in "The Compression Age".

I still love classical, and particularly Beethoven. But I collect less soundtrack music now, regardless of whether it's original score or compilation-based: in most cases I feel I've heard it all before.

In recent times I've gone more progressive rock than before - I seem to like modern Prog Rock but still not like older Prog Rock so much.
confused_face(1).gif

And I'm still a sucker for well written, well recorded and well sung female vocals: but even this has become more selective over time, as I identify more and more my preferences even within each genre/style.

And I guess my last point is I don't find time nowadays so much to revisit albums that I've not listened to for a long time - earlier on I would do that, and perhaps rediscover that 'No, I really don't think much of that album' but occasionally find a track or two that was more my thing (but perhaps that was partly also because I was listening to it on better equipment as that side of things also developed over time
wink_face.gif
).

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 34
started listening to music when i was ~13. 100% Trance only, altough I searched for hidden gems, not the casual DJ tiesto/Armin van Buuren.

17 now and switched to Enya, Loreena mcKennitt and Porcupine tree.
tongue.gif
Quite a change!

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 34
hhmmm.. it broadened rather than changed .. from rock/pop to disco and motown hits.. came new wave.. then nam ..ost cuts too... i enjoy listening to all these preferred music
beerchug.gif

Grand Funk Railroad, Madonna, Keiko Matsui, Craig Chaquico, Gobi, Mark Isham, Sade, Basia, Peter Frampton, Beverly Craven, Cyndi Lauper, Santana, Joshua Kadison, Nightwish, Styx, America, Acoustic Alchemy, Donna Summer, Roxette, Simple Minds, New Order, Pablo Cruise, Sniff 'n' the tears, Toni Braxton, Clair Marlo, Toto, CCR, Russia, Frente!, D'Sound, David Foster, Procol Harum, Hues Corporation, Rush.. and hundreds more
icon10.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 34
When I was a kid I was into all that good grungy-type/90's alternative rock like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Bush, Beck, The Offspring, etc. etc. etc. I also liked Weird Al, but what kid didn't back then?

I still listen to that type of music from time to time but I've moved onto more classic rock/psychedelic rock and also some folk-type rock. I'd say my tastes have evolved more than changed
tongue_smile.gif

I'd like to get into jazz; I've heard a decent little bit and I like it but I'm not sure if I could have long listening sessions of it. To me it's more of something to play in the background. Classical might be nice though.

I also like Motown like the person above mentioned. My dad listened/listens to nothing but doo-wop so it's pretty much stamped into my brain now.

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #13 of 34
I've always wondered why my musical tastes are different than other kids of my age (I'm 13). I really don't know..... I've always been into the 80's and early 90's. Whenever someone borrows my iPod and tells me how my music sounds like crap, I always get confused. Isn't their music worse? I understand that music is very subjective, but I really don't know how other people like over-publicised artists like Miley Cirus, Lady Gaga, and other popular musicians that I don't know about.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always wondered why my musical tastes are different than other kids of my age (I'm 13). I really don't know..... I've always been into the 80's and early 90's. Whenever someone borrows my iPod and tells me how my music sounds like crap, I always get confused. Isn't their music worse? I understand that music is very subjective, but I really don't know how other people like over-publicised artists like Miley Cirus, Lady Gaga, and other popular musicians that I don't know about.

indeed, music is very subjective and you are quite admirable as you have your own taste based on what you preferred and not what others recommend.. at my end i can say you are on the right track
wink_face.gif

may i humbly share:
i started joining various internet forums only 2 years ago where i met &/or chat with members with plethora of recommendations on what music i must/should listen to.. at age 47 then, i respectfully told them "i already have my own preferred music since i was less than 9 years old regardless of audiophile ratings and reviews".. yes, i never read any music review.. i respect their taste but they too should respect mine... i do not easily get convinced with audiophile blahblablah thing.. well, i tried to please some buddies and bought some (a few) for the sake of being socially "acceptable" but these albums were rarely put into playback mode unlike ones i really like listening to

i agree with you, too many hyperbole of marketing strategies being floated for many decades now so as to sell and earn more.. i resist as much as i can to be affected/influenced by these

btw, any audio gear that enhance my music enjoyment is my friend though mr. Wallet may not always agree
icon10.gif
.. after all, it is all about music

again, at age 13y/o, you are an admirable music fan
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 34
^My God, you're 13?

When I was 13, I was listening to those "over-publicised artists" and couldn't tell the difference between MP3's and FLAC's(didn't even know it existed) let alone between 128 kpbs and 320 kpbs so I probably should commemorate you on that fact.

Anyhoo, I went through this, well, angsty stage where all I listened to was nu-metal. By nu-metal, I mean music I heard from WWE shows which was about 3-4 years ago. They really do get the testosterones pumping. This continued, leading me into the world of Metalcore. By Metalcore, I mean stuff like All that Remains, Killswitch Engage, etc. Actually, I went through the post-hardcore phase which is sorta embarrassing when I look back on it. This later turned into a quest to find the heaviest and most "brootal" music. It took me to Deathcore. Deathcore was pretty short lived cause it led me into Death Metal which I found to be more engaging. From there, I managed to find out about music forums and that is where the biggest changes in my music tastes occurred.

From listening to just Deathcore, I expanded into almost all branches of metal (save a few as they didn't catch my attention). From there, my tastes also managed to "mature". Violent lyrics and breakdowns did not interest me anymore and I began seeking for music with massive atmosphere and actually meaningful lyrics. I explored it for a while until I realised that well, you can't play heavy stuff forever(some may beg to differ). More music forums mean a larger variety of music. Can't remember what happened but I explored a bit of breakcore, ambient, folk, indie rock, some older classic rock (which still doesn't really interest me), jazz, modern classical and melodic hardcore. This is where I am now. Happened over a course of 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back