How much has your musical taste changed?
Dec 11, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^My God, you're 13?

Methinks bass_nut was referring to Speex.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always wondered why my musical tastes are different than other kids of my age (I'm 13). I really don't know..... I've always been into the 80's and early 90's.

As bass_nut has said, you're on the right track. Can't go wrong with Alice in Chains and The Police.
beerchug.gif

BTT:

I first started getting seriously interested in music right around the 5th-6th grade, started off with classic rock like Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Queen and the like. Teenage angst would soon take over and listening to a friend's cassette copy of Metallica - "Ride The Lightning" was akin to an epiphany. The fast tempo, angry lyrics and exceptional musicianship were all up my alley. Along with their thrash contemporaries Megadeth, Anthrax, Death Angel and the like, metal inspired me to pick up a guitar and learn how to play.

About 4 or 5 years later, I was still heavily into thrash metal as well as early pioneering heavy metal like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Rainbow and Dio. It was then that I started seeking more extreme forms of metal such as black and death metal (as well as more substantial/meaningful lyrical content). It was a gradual transition, as I hated the screeched/growled vocals at first. It didn't take long for me to really love the style, and be in awe of the impeccable technical ability of the musicians. Some of the albums that were crucial in really getting me into extreme music: Morbid Angel - "Altars of Madness", Carcass - "Heartwork", Immortal - "At The Heart of Winter" and Death - "Symbolic".

Right around that point, as I went through a phase of listening to jazz-tinged death metal like Cynic and Atheist, I started to get curious about jazz fusion. On a friend's recommendation, I checked out Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever and Weather Report. Needless to say I absolutely loved jazz fusion from first listen: the emotion, improvisation and atmosphere blew me away. Di Meola's "Splendido Hotel" and "Elegant Gypsy" will never leave my ipod nano or Sansa Clip+.
smily_headphones1.gif

These days, I maily listen to practically all metal subgenres - death/black/doom/traditional/gothic/symphonic/progressive/etc., anything jazz fusion, classic/post/prog rock with the odd dollop of alternative. I've parlayed my passion for metal into writing reviews and articles for a local DIY publication, The Filipino Metal magazine (see my sig).

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #17 of 34
Believe me or not, I went from 50 Cent, Eminem, Jay-Z, etc to John Mayer, Norah Jones, and Eric Clapton, etc. My brother was shocked when he saw my CD player loaded with Eric Clapton's Unplugged because I usually listen to Hip-Hop/R&B type of music. I still enjoy some Hip-Hop though, it really depends on my mood.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Methinks bass_nut was referring to Speex.
biggrin.gif

As bass_nut has said, you're on the right track. Can't go wrong with Alice in Chains and The Police.
beerchug.gif

I was too. I just replied a little too late
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 34
My tastes haven't so much changed as grown.

Growing up, I was fed a lot of classic and psychedelic rock from my cousin. As a result of starting clarinet at nine, I was also exposed to a lot of classical. I still love those genres, as well.

As I grew up, I began to love New Wave and eventually grunge. Then, I realized that I loved classic country and alt.country. That segued into bluegrass, folk and roots. From there, I began to love jazz, 20th century classical, world music, and electronica.

I don't know where the next stop will be, but I have loved the journey so far. I love the collection and look forward to the next genre that grabs me!

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #20 of 34
I would describe my change of tastes as stages:
stage 1: chevelle, crossfade, three days grace
stage 2: zao, the bled, funeral for a friend, alexisonfire
stage 3: queens of the stone age, nine inch nails, foo fighters, daft punk
stage 4: muse, john mayer, jimmy eat world, the strokes
stage 5: the doors, bob dylan, chicago, earth wind & fire
now: It's a mix of a few above, but at the end of the day I still enjoy listening to every single one of those bands. I feel like I got a memory attached to at least one song by each artist above and I love to relive those. Sounds kind of gay (with no intention to offend gay people) but isnt this forum about our passion for music?!
beyersmile.png

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 34
Well, like almost all people, I started out on the Beatles when I was ~12. That was good, until I found out what Pink Floyd was. I then found out about Van der Graaf Generator (heard a song on the radio, of all places!) and King Crimson. My math teacher sophomore year (HS) turned me on to Yes (he has been fired for smoking pot after 30 years of teaching, one year he had my dad). Right now I'm all about Progressive Rock, especially the more classic stuff. Very recently a friend lent me some Mastodon, so I'll be checking out prog metal now.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 34
Brought up on classical since I was in elementary school. It's still a huge part of my library, but now, in high school, I've progressed into newer genres (punk rock, symphonic metal, dance). I'd have to say my favorite has to be soundtrack - there are so many emotions over that spectrum that can be portrayed and heard.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #23 of 34
Old Metallica was my favorite band in 6th grade and they've only moved into #2 behind Slayer as I further expand my library of thrash-awesomeness. I'm only 23, but my musical tastes haven't changed much since I was in grade school, rather they've just expanded to more sub-genres of metal and I added shred in there once I had started playing guitar in high school.

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #25 of 34
my teen years were in the 70's and was lucky enough to meet a bunch of guys into progressive rock. Sadly I was kind of snobish to commercial music at the time (still am not a fan of led zepplin) but have recieved some great leads to bands like Porcupine Tree, Transatlantic and the like. I still love to listen to Gentle Giant, ELP, Genisis...so I would say my taste hasn't changed but has evolved. I have some friends stuck in the 70's and shake my head at thier stubborness.

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #26 of 34
Age 5-13: Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Schubert, Chopin, tchaikovsky, Brahms

Age 14~21: Tupac, nas, mobb deep, dr. dre, Jurassic 5, People under the stairs, blackalicious, krs-1, kool g rap, gza,

Age 24 and onwards: Coltrane, Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Haydn, (all classical mentioned above), radiohead, sting, coldplay, nell, nujabes

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #27 of 34
i went from like hard rock that's totally in your face to much calmer rock.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #28 of 34
I swear after spending time on Head-fi and getting a much more revealing gear, I moved from hard rock, hip hop/rap to smooth jazz, classical, orchestra, and vocals.
ph34r.gif
The gear makes a difference! lol

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swear after spending time on Head-fi and getting a much more revealing gear, I moved from hard rock, hip hop/rap to smooth jazz, classical, orchestra, and vocals.
ph34r.gif
The gear makes a difference! lol

The gear makes a difference. Beautifully put.

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #30 of 34
It also puts you on the never ending path of upgraditis.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back