How much has your musical taste changed?
Dec 20, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #31 of 34
Growing up I listened to a lot of Green Day and Tom Petty. Then I got into some really bad music like Korn (although their first album isn't bad as far as Nu Metal is concerned), Papa Roach, Linkin Park, and bands like that. I eventually became fed up with all of this music and I stopped listening completely until I was 16. That was when I went through that typical classic rock teen phase. Don't most people go through that at some point? These days I dabble in each genre and sub-genre, and I try to take in as much as I can. Just recently I started getting interested in Frank Zappa, Norah Jones, and Valentin Silvestrov.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #32 of 34
Well lets see...I've been through a lot of different musical tastes-and I'm only 15.

When I was very little I didn't care what I listened to. Just whatever was playing. I didn't like or dislike much of anything.
Then I got on this huge rap/hip-hop obsession and that's all I would listen to. Anything else was awful to me. I now know that rap is the most hideous thing on the face of the Earth.
That kind of faded away after a while and I went back to not caring much.
Then suddenly out of nowhere I started getting into rock. For about a year all I listened to was Meteora by Linkin Park.
From there it sort of evolved. I went from Linkin Park to Korn to My Chemical Romance to Avenged Sevenfold to Slipknot in about a year. I hung onto Slipknot for a while, but I wasn't satisfied. I wanted heavier. So I dove into Death Metal. I bought Close To A World Below by Immolation. It was a huge leap from Slipknot to that, but I wanted the heaviest, so that's what I got.
Then I started to expand my radar beyond Immolation to include a wide variety of Death Metal. For a while I was into Technical Death Metal. At this point I had completely stopped listening to anything but Death Metal, and I despised most of the things I had previously liked.
But I got bored of that, so I started listening to Classical, Avant Garde, and various other genres as well as Death Metal.

I am now getting into "Post-Metal" (Isis, Rosetta, Made Out Of Babies). I still listen to a lot of Death Metal, but not nearly as much as I used to, and the rest of my listening is split between Classical, Avant Garde, and for some strange reason-70's music (Jethro Tull, Queen, ELO, Stevie Wonder, etc.).
biggrin.gif

Thar you go. Sorry I wrote so much.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #33 of 34
Well my first LP was actually a 45rpm back in the mid 60's. It was Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf. My tastes grew to include early bluesy Stones, the Who, Velvet Underground, Genesis. In the 70's stayed with my favourites and did not grow much as I had no love for metal or talentless music back then. By that I mean I did not like boy bands like the Monkeys or Sex Pistols, but did like real punk. Some where along the time line a lot of Pink Floyd started getting played by me. I went through a Jimmy Cliff phase. After getting married I got into U2 and my back collection of music was fine all albums. All my progress stopped after having mobile children because there was nothing I found worse than a scratch on an LP . Wrote a paper about the hype of digital vs analogue back then, and fell out of love for all things music. Through the 80's and 90's still purchased records, but had 1000 by then so there was not much I wanted in new music. In the early 2000's found that CD's sounded not too bad so started getting into some new music. By this time was getting a lot of movies and some 5.1 music. The time was right to get our first standalone CDP, so we purchased a Cambridge Audio 640. I started learning about things like DACs, and I learned that my CA had two Wolfsons. My lovely wife won a nano at her workplace, and that got me started thinking about portable music. I was reading a forum for Bacchetta recumbents and someone mentioned this site (bye bye wallet) So when I found out that the 5.5 gen IPOD had a Wolfson DAC I got one. Then I learned about headphones, amps and music. I started getting into cd music from my past and more recent bands/music. From HF I learned about Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree and lots of other recent fairly good product. I knew about Norah Jones because a friend of mine used to be in her band (check out youtube of Kevin Breit if you want to see some great guitar work). And like others NJ turned to Lucinda Williams, Ricki Lee Jones (back producing great music), Dianna Krall. To sum it up, my tastes are continuing to grow thanks to this forum. I have around 120gb of good music ripped on PC all lossless, no Celine or American Idol winners to be found. :)

B

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #34 of 34
age 6-16: Baroque/Classical/Romantic (grew up learning violin via the Suzuki method)
age 16-23: electronica/trip-hop
age 23-28: sort of in order - alternative, modern rock (90s and later), bluegrass, folk, modern jazz (90s and later)....classic rock (60s-80s), classic jazz (50s-80s), classical & neo-classical, metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back